Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:50 PM

31 posts, read 136,564 times

Advertisements

Hello CO residents,

I'm considering of moving to the Boulder area. My wife and I have two kids (2 and 6 months). I've always love the mountains because it's so surreal. However, my wife is petrified of snakes and I know CO is home to many kinds of snakes. Is this something to be concern about? I'm assuming snakes don't go where near homes or residential area. I thought they're only live in the mountains. Someone, please educate me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 02:17 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Well, the first thing I would suggest is you use the search feature on this website to do a quick search for the topic "snakes" in the Colorado forum. There have been several posts on this subject already and you may find all the information you need straightaway. I can tell you that I've lived in CO for 4 years and have yet to encounter a single snake anywhere, even when out hiking. That doesn't mean they're not out there - they just don't seem to want to bother with me.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:02 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Yes, there are rattlesnakes in the foothills--plenty of 'em. I lived on a ranch near Golden for several years. We would see them almost daily during the summer--including right around the house. A friend used to work at Martin-Marietta at their foothills location just southwest of Denver. When he worked the night shift there, he had to be very careful walking through the parking lot going on or off shift. The rattlers were attracted to the warm pavement on cool nights in spring, summer, and fall. So, yeah, they are around.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:22 AM

345 posts, read 914,113 times
In almost 15 yrs here I have thankfully never seen a rattler. Not on hikes, around my place or anywhere but the Denver Zoo. I am not scared of snaked but would rather not get bitten by a poisonous one.
When living in the 'burbs we had lots of garter snakes. Small do not bother you. Living in the country I see lots of bull snakes. They do "rattle" when they feel threatened, like by my cats or guardian dogs so if you are not familiar with the way rattlesnakes look you might get tricked.
I think of it this way a rattler will give you a warning you can hear ande avoid vs a quiet snake that you might happen upon and strikes at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area