Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 07:58 AM

530 posts, read 2,624,745 times

Advertisements

I actually grew up on Long Island... Five Towns area, absolutely no comparison, don't worry about that! We love the military and are proud of everyone who serves our country. A lot of flags flying. Remember, liberal does not mean "unAmerican" Buckley is a drive though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 07:39 PM

24 posts, read 60,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Louisville most definitely has a sense of community. I have written about this extensively here on CD. You can do a search using "Louisville". There are lots of festivals and other community events. Many neighborhoods (such as mine) have neighborhood parties, a 'hood e-mail, play groups, etc. I hope you move here; it sounds like you'd fit right in.
I hope you're right Kat- I want very badly to make this change but I am leaving behind a large family that is very unhappy about this prospective move. Do you mind if I ask what neighborhood you live in? I am trying to plot areas that I think I would like. I want a neighborhood that allows me to walk to a coffee shop and have access to bike/walk trails. I am not sure if I would prefer walking distance to old town or the rec center. I am not looking for a 'tony' address, just which area am I more likely to frequent, kwim?

Micktooth- I don't think anyone would throw eggs at our house because my husband is in the military but I saw some posts about the general area referencing 'military industrial complex' that made me wonder if there might be some political undercurrents that would make DH uncomfortable. In general, individuals are sometimes so effusive in support of military members that he sometimes gets embarrassed- makes me proud though!

Old 09-30-2009, 07:42 PM

Oh and Micktooth- DH would consider me liberal so no worries there- also, how long of a drive is it from L'vlle to Buckley in your estimation?

Old 09-30-2009, 08:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballchik View Post
I hope you're right Kat- I want very badly to make this change but I am leaving behind a large family that is very unhappy about this prospective move. Do you mind if I ask what neighborhood you live in? I am trying to plot areas that I think I would like. I want a neighborhood that allows me to walk to a coffee shop and have access to bike/walk trails. I am not sure if I would prefer walking distance to old town or the rec center. I am not looking for a 'tony' address, just which area am I more likely to frequent, kwim?

Micktooth- I don't think anyone would throw eggs at our house because my husband is in the military but I saw some posts about the general area referencing 'military industrial complex' that made me wonder if there might be some political undercurrents that would make DH uncomfortable. In general, individuals are sometimes so effusive in support of military members that he sometimes gets embarrassed- makes me proud though!
Quote:
Oh and Micktooth- DH would consider me liberal so no worries there- also, how long of a drive is it from L'vlle to Buckley in your estimation?
I don't think your DH would be uncomfortable in Louisville; it's actually somewhat conservative to middle of the road. However, Buckley Air Base is a long way, 52 to 59 min per google maps. I hate to say it, but you might want to look at someplace closer.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't think your DH would be uncomfortable in Louisville; it's actually somewhat conservative to middle of the road. However, Buckley Air Base is a long way, 52 to 59 min per google maps. I hate to say it, but you might want to look at someplace closer.
lol, we're from LI- 1hr is DH's daily commute now... Anyway, he is a reservist so L'vlle to Buckley wouldn't be a daily commute. I appreciate the feedback

Old 10-01-2009, 12:42 PM

31 posts, read 125,674 times
Quote:
lol, we're from LI- 1hr is DH's daily commute now... Anyway, he is a reservist so L'vlle to Buckley wouldn't be a daily commute. I appreciate the feedback
I live in Superior (right next to Louisville), and have a neighbor who is also a reservist who has to go down to Aurora for reserve activities, and she doesn't consider the drive to be a big deal. Looks like it's only actually about 30 miles according to Google Maps, easy drive on the weekends.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:09 PM

631 posts, read 1,574,719 times
i'm gonna be honest with you and say that winters can be VERY bipolar. One day it could be a whiteout and 10 degrees and the next day it's clear, sunny, and up to 70. (such an occurrence happened about a week ago). It's rare that everything shuts down, and after living in Longmont (15 miles northeast of Boulder) for 13 years i can only recall one instance where almost everything shut down (the blizzard of 2006). it gets cold, yes, snowy, sure, but usually not to the point where the roads are closed for very long (if at all).

Old 11-09-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
i'm gonna be honest with you and say that winters can be VERY bipolar. One day it could be a whiteout and 10 degrees and the next day it's clear, sunny, and up to 70. (such an occurrence happened about a week ago). It's rare that everything shuts down, and after living in Longmont (15 miles northeast of Boulder) for 13 years i can only recall one instance where almost everything shut down (the blizzard of 2006). it gets cold, yes, snowy, sure, but usually not to the point where the roads are closed for very long (if at all).
I could have phrased my initial question better, I know. I didn't expect that things 'shut down' exactly. I really wanted to know if people shut down in bad weather. Like, do people stop walking the neighborhood, children stop using the parks, etc. My impression, since my initial post, is that even if inclement weather prevents people from getting out and about, when the nice days come around, people take advantage of it. I hope to test my theories in February.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:19 AM

31 posts, read 125,674 times
Quote:
I could have phrased my initial question better, I know. I didn't expect that things 'shut down' exactly. I really wanted to know if people shut down in bad weather. Like, do people stop walking the neighborhood, children stop using the parks, etc. My impression, since my initial post, is that even if inclement weather prevents people from getting out and about, when the nice days come around, people take advantage of it. I hope to test my theories in February.
When it's cold and windy or snowy outside, I certainly see fewer people walking the neighborhood, and no kids at the park, as you would expect. But then 2 days later it can be 60 degrees and sunny and everyone's out again. I think it's less a seasonal change, and more related to the weather on that particular day.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:10 PM

34 posts, read 88,962 times
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to drive from Louisville to Denver, not in rush hour. We drive to the airport once a week and want an idea of how long and difficult a drive it will be. Where we live now it takes almost 1 and 1/4 hour with no traffic. We are getting older and don't want to drive any longer than that. Thanks for the information. Jony
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area