Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,095 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'm a 24 yr old college student living in Minnesota. I'm looking at going to school at the University of Colorado in Boulder next year to finish off the last two years of my Physics degree. After reading quite a few posts here, I've become aware of this so-called 'snobbishness' Boulder has and the tight job market.

I noticed many of the job discussions on here were based on having a degree and finding a career position. How is the job market for students? And is it possible to sustain a life out there without ending up eating Ramen noodles every day?

Also, since I'm moving out there by myself, is this 'snobby' attitude as bad as people claim? If I'm not going to make any friends because I don't have a couple million sitting in my bank account, that seems a little insane. I'm hoping that it's been exaggerated.

The town I'm from in MN has practically run out every person between 18-30 because they have nothing to do for the younger crowd. How is the social life for college kids, or people my age?

This is my first big move and so I'm quite new to the process and a little nervous. If there's any suggestions you could give me or warnings, they would be greatly appreciated. I've heard many great things about Boulder from friends and family and I'm taking a trip out there in December to scope the place out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 04:04 PM

17 posts, read 40,331 times
Nah, the college has its own culture, and its own off-campus neighborhood (University Hill). Boulder is a few percent of Colorado's total population, while the university has about a quarter or a third of the students going to a state university in Colorado. Lots of students aren't from Boulder, and aren't stereotypical Boulderites.

I encourage you to give Boulder a chance, though. In many ways it's just like any other college town next to a mountain. It reminds me of my home town, Flagstaff, AZ.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:29 AM

47 posts, read 132,088 times
Boulder has it's positives and negatives just like every city. There's plenty (enough) to do, and it has beautiful scenery. The college crowd there range from 18 to 70 year olds so you'll definitely find people you can connect with. In terms of money, yeah Boulder is a wealthy community, but they are by no means arrogant about this, and in fact it's a pretty accepting city! However it is a very culturaly, and Politically isolated city when compared to the rest of Colorado, so when you visit Denver, Broomfield, Arvada, or any other city nearby you may feel like you're in another country. This isn't a bad thing by any means, but rather just the way it is/ and feels to most people. But in my opinion the Scenery, and Culture of Boulder are more than enough reasons to live there!

Hope this helps

Old 10-28-2009, 04:28 AM

857 posts, read 1,733,386 times
Default Boulder Vs. Flagstaff College Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkin View Post
Nah, the college has its own culture, and its own off-campus neighborhood (University Hill). Boulder is a few percent of Colorado's total population, while the university has about a quarter or a third of the students going to a state university in Colorado. Lots of students aren't from Boulder, and aren't stereotypical Boulderites.

I encourage you to give Boulder a chance, though. In many ways it's just like any other college town next to a mountain. It reminds me of my home town, Flagstaff, AZ.
Flagstaff does not even come close to Boulder. Boulder offeres WAAAAAY more in terms of social activities for the 18-35 age group. And, when people graduate, there are JOBS in Boulder, whereas Flagstaff provides no jobs for its college grads. In Flagstaff, you have to leave after graduating unless you become a licensed Realtor. NAU-Flagstaff has no integration into the City of Flagstaff, and the students are very cliquish. Boulder's former deputy City Manager is now the overpaid City Manager in Flagstaff, part of a beuracracy that does nothing for the young singles, totally unlike Boulder. For example, Boulder even has a Chamber of Commerce for entrepreneurs ages 20-40. I wish I had never moved to Flagstaff. I've never lived in Boulder, however in visiting there and 10 other college towns, I'd put it as #1 tied with Berkeley, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, etc. etc., and this is consistent with the various rankings from Forbes and other financial magazines on college towns rated highly for young singles . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area