Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:09 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,105,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingColoradoNow View Post
There's a reason why Colorado Natives call people who live in Boulder "Boulerites". Move outside of Boulder and steer clear of the area when you are not at work. Back in 2003 my son was wearing a "My Daddy Fights for Your Freedom" shirt and I had a lady come up to my son and tell him my husband was a baby killer. We are from Weld County and I will never go back to Boulder again because of that incident.
There are too many hippie type transplants that have taken over what once was a great town.
It is terrible that someone said such an awful thing to your child. So, some moron made an unfortunate and rude comment and you paint the whole town that way? It is your choice to never go to Boulder again. But to say that everyone in Boulder is like that is absolutely ridiculous. You will find idiots like that no matter where you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 02:56 AM

15 posts, read 38,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
It is terrible that someone said such an awful thing to your child. So, some moron made an unfortunate and rude comment and you paint the whole town that way? It is your choice to never go to Boulder again. But to say that everyone in Boulder is like that is absolutely ridiculous. You will find idiots like that no matter where you go.
I have lived in several cities during the time my husband has been in the military and never have I seen people as antimilitary as those in Boulder. Pure disrespect. In my opinion Boulder is Colorado's version of the Height Ashbury district in San Francisco. That one incident put a bad taste in my mouth. My child was only four at the time of the incident.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:08 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,281,064 times
Quote:
I have lived in several cities during the time my husband has been in the military and never have I seen people as antimilitary as those in Boulder. Pure disrespect. In my opinion Boulder is Colorado's version of the Height Ashbury district in San Francisco. That one incident put a bad taste in my mouth. My child was only four at the time of the incident.
There are a lot of people who don't think before they open their mouths, especially when talking to children. An incident like that would put a bad taste in my mouth, too. However, I don't think that is typical of Boulder, and to compare Boulder with Haight-Ashbury is a bit extreme.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:48 AM

FYI, everyone in Boulder doesn't hate:

CU-Boulder students cheer troops in Iraq over holidays - Boulder Daily Camera

Old 01-05-2010, 11:15 AM

631 posts, read 1,570,908 times
Quote:
There's a reason why Colorado Natives call people who live in Boulder "Boulerites". Move outside of Boulder and steer clear of the area when you are not at work. Back in 2003 my son was wearing a "My Daddy Fights for Your Freedom" shirt and I had a lady come up to my son and tell him my husband was a baby killer. We are from Weld County and I will never go back to Boulder again because of that incident.

There are too many hippie type transplants that have taken over what once was a great town.
All too true. Recently there was a bike rally for nudists. Every last one of them was arrested (numbers were in the hundreds) and now they have to register as sex offenders because they were expressing their 1ST Amendment rights.

Okay so not everyone is Boulder is a jack hole but Boulder seems to acquire a higher concentration of them than other cities around here. That said their 'hippieocrasy' as it is often referred to as has finally reached a boiling point and I think people are going to start protesting it.

Last edited by eon-krate32; 01-05-2010 at 11:23 AM..

Old 01-05-2010, 01:30 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,432,435 times
I don't think you should condemn an entire city based on one incident. It was an awful thing to say to anyone and the kind of person who talks like that to a child must be disturbed to begin with, but there are a lot of regular, nice, normal people in Boulder too who believe in live-and-let-live and are trying to get the city to operate on a more sensible level. Just read some of the comments that get posted in the Daily Camera!

Old 01-05-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
All too true. Recently there was a bike rally for nudists. Every last one of them was arrested (numbers were in the hundreds) and now they have to register as sex offenders because they were expressing their 1ST Amendment rights.
Really?
Didn't realize "the right to be naked in public" was in the 1st Amendment.
Perhaps you should get your facts straight before making stuff up. I think you have a couple of different events (i.e. Naked Pumpkin run) confused.
From a local news source:
BOULDER, Colo. (June 14, 2009)—The three-dozen riders who participated in the World Naked Bike Ride Saturday in Boulder, Colo. managed to wear just enough to stay on the right side of the law.
The riders kept their genitals covered after police warned them that if they didn’t, they would be cited for indecent exposure.The cyclists employed some creative methods to avoid tickets. Some wore thongs or placed stickers in strategic places.
Police didn’t issue any citations.
Similar rides were held around the world Saturday to draw attention to the dependence on cars and gasoline.

Last edited by Neditate; 01-05-2010 at 04:38 PM..

Old 01-05-2010, 04:38 PM

631 posts, read 1,570,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
Really?
Didn't realize "the right to be naked in public" was in the 1st Amendment.
Perhaps you should get your facts straight before making up outright lies. First off, you have a couple of different events (i.e. Naked Pumpkin run) confused.
From a local news source:
BOULDER, Colo. (June 14, 2009)—The three-dozen riders who participated in the World Naked Bike Ride Saturday in Boulder, Colo. managed to wear just enough to stay on the right side of the law.
The riders kept their genitals covered after police warned them that if they didn’t, they would be cited for indecent exposure.The cyclists employed some creative methods to avoid tickets. Some wore thongs or placed stickers in strategic places.
Police didn’t issue any citations.
Similar rides were held around the world Saturday to draw attention to the dependence on cars and gasoline.
First off, ever hear Freedom of EXPRESSION?

Second off, that's not the message our papers delivered.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:35 PM

Well... your paper was wrong. Just saying that you should get the facts straight before spreading misinformation.
Yes I have heard of "freedom of expression".
FYI it is the STATE's indecent exposure law which requires convicted violators to register as sex offenders. Colorado Laws
It's not a Boulder law. In FACT, they are trying to draft a municipal nudity ordinance because officials believe the state law is not appropriate for nudity-related pranks. People in Boulder actually do have a sense of humor regarding some things.

Anyway... let's get back to the original post.
Perhaps you can start your own thread somewhere else on 1st Amendment rights, public nudity, "freedom of expression" etc. I am sure there's a forum for that.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:29 PM

724 posts, read 1,926,753 times
I always look at Boulder in a way similar to Austin, Texas. But of course, the rest of Colorado is also pretty nice.

Last edited by qfrost; 01-05-2010 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: missed part of thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area