Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:32 AM

111 posts, read 313,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
Sounds like I goofed! Sorry.
I've met so many greyhounds on the trails, I sort of assumed. I also Googled and found this article Best Dog Breeds for Running - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com
Well, that'll teach me to believe what I read on the internet!

Thanks for the link, that had some great info on it, exactly what I was looking for. I am definitely looking to adopt a dog rather than going to a breeder. I think a Lab/Australian shepherd mix would fit my needs perfectly, both great breeds independently but great as a mix also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 10:58 PM

7 posts, read 20,826 times
I have a golden/setter that I rescued, they are much smaller than normal retrievers, and shes an awesome trail runner! Stamina like crazy, listens well on and off leash. I thru-hiked the AT with her! I would also agree with labs/lab mixes ect. Good Luck!

Old 02-07-2010, 09:18 AM

305 posts, read 770,053 times
Default Try Craigslist for the perfect dog

Hello!

Craigslist is full of people looking for homes for their dogs. You might try posting an ad specifying what qualities you're looking for in a dog (great running/hiking companion) and I'll bet tons of people will answer. That way, you'll be giving a dog who needs a home a great life and not be supporting breeders and puppy mills.

Shelters are also a great resource--tell them what you're looking for and I'm sure they'll be thrilled to help you out.

Best of luck!

Joanna

Old 02-07-2010, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,245 times
Default Trail Dogs

I have a small(34 lbs) lab/collie mix who's great on the trails. Great stamina/speed, stays on the trail. Have a friend with a lab who's developed arthritis(somewhat common in Labs). I would ditto some of the other recommendations about Lab mixes. Hope this helps.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:27 AM

59 posts, read 240,418 times
Check out Vizslas, which are runners par excellence. They can go and go. If you get one, just make sure you exercise them every day as they need it! They are very trainable and can run for miles (10K, half-marathon, etc). If they don't get exercise, they will punish you and your furniture! In his prime my old dog would have no problem cracking a 6 minute mile and could also jump and grab a tennis ball held seven feet in the air.

Fleet Feet in North Boulder has a Vizsla mascot, which should give you an idea of the breed's fitness. If you're looking for a low maintenance pooch, keep searching because Vizslas love human companionship. You will never want for a friend with one of these.

They're also great for the trails because of their extremely short coat, which keeps them relatively clean and burr free.

There's a Vizsla rescue project if you're interested in a mature dog (could save you some of the headache of having a puppy).

Colorado/Wyoming Vizsla Rescue Group

Old 02-12-2010, 09:26 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Did you post this same question in the Denver forum as well, or is just coincidence?

At any rate, see my response in this parallel thread...
Trail Running Dogs

Old 02-12-2010, 09:35 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,061 times
I think what makes labs so perfect is that they're always up for whatever YOU want. Want to go for a run? yes. Want to hike a mountain, yes. Want to go to the dog park, yes. Want to sleep in a ball on the couch, yes. I am biased but I don't think there's another breed that is as agreeable, loving and loyal as a lab.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:26 AM

111 posts, read 313,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Did you post this same question in the Denver forum as well, or is just coincidence?

At any rate, see my response in this parallel thread...
Trail Running Dogs

Yes I did post the same thing in the Denver forum. Wasn't sure if people frequented one more than the other so I just wanted to get a well-rounded opinion from everyone.

I appreciate everyone's responses, I think a lab mix fits my personality best. The Vizsla sounds like a great dog and I would love to have one, but I don't think I could commit to exercising it vigorously EVERYDAY!! A few times a week is what I'm capable of, other than that, a quick brisk walk/ play in the park should suffice on non-vigorous days. I definitely see how my personality must match the dogs and vice versa.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:44 PM

1 posts, read 905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
My sis had two rescue greyhounds, sweet as can be but dumb as a rock. Only one speed, flat out.
Hey Mike. What are you judging the greyhounds intelligence on? It certainly shouldn't be based on human traits. Or are you judging based on the dog not accomplishing what you think it should?
Like most animals this breed is exploited. Primarily for it's ability to run and chase down prey or a mechanical lure around an oval track. That's all they really know. To say they're dumb as a rock is a complete insult. You had the sweet part right though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area