Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,581 times

Advertisements

Lafayette, Louisville, Superior, Rock Creek and Boulder are all in Boulder County. We live in Lafayette and love it here, but Boulder County taxes are high. I don't know if you pay property taxes where you are in Texas, but they can be pretty scary in Boulder County. Broomfield is near Lafayette, the schools are in the Boulder Valley School District (progressive) and not in Boulder County. Broomfield just incorporated its own county about 10 years ago.

My husband drives a school bus for the Boulder Valley Schools and the schools are very diverse, depending on where you live! In Lafayette we have a bilingual school where are children have to learn both languages. We also have one of the finest charter schools in the state, if not the nation, Peak to Peak.

Because Boulder County has the University of Colorado in Boulder, it is quite progressive. You will find many ethnic restaurants and shops, a unique mix of schools and a higher education level. There are excellent oriental and occidental health care providers (we also have the Naropa Institute and University - a more metaphysical, well-known college). Craft enterprises are numerous!

Hiking, biking, walking, running, climbing, backpacking, camping, RV'ing, tubing, fishing, kayaking, boating, skiing, swimming, wilderness trails, nature walks, a well-entrenched trails system, dog parks, rec centers, and even a municipal law that requires pet owners to be called "guardians" rather than "owners", make Boulder and its surrounding area a perfect place for progressive, active families with children.

In addition, you are within an hour of Denver, 30-40 minutes of Denver International Airport, an hour to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park, 20 minutes to escape to the mountains, and within an hour to many festivals such as Bluegrass, Jazz, Christian Rock, etc.

Lafayette boasts the FlatIrons Community Church which grew from 35 members about 10 years ago to about 15,000 members today and expected to double within 5 years.

The only downfall I can see in moving from Texas to Colorado is football. Our football programs ALL stink right now. Texans typically live for football, but we have so many opportunities available for us to do other things, that it is not a life-changer if the Buffs lose yet again. The Broncos? Well...right now they are a New England team, so you can root for any team you want!

Also, our growing season is probably shorter and our soil may not be as fertile. We live in an arid semi-desert environment here. Our soils range from clay to bentonite to sandy, rocky soil. You have to water your lawn.

Our climate is likely much better! We have over 300 days of sunshine a year and when it does snow in Spring and Winter, it's usually melted within a day or two.

Our tornadoes are much smaller!!!

My husband and I are moving from Lafayette to Westminster - from a trailer to a condo - and we are very excited. I will miss Boulder County. This is a unique community that can't be duplicated anywhere!

Let me know if you have any questions!

I don't know anything about Bradburn but it looks and sounds great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 07:41 PM

724 posts, read 1,934,019 times
The Broncos? Well...right now they are a New England team

I'm sorry, but as a die-hard Broncos fan, I gotta take exception. Denver lives football, compared to the wasteland that is Los Angeles.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:58 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,183,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by defgal10 View Post
what do you do to work from home? are there any good online jobs to work from home?
I worked for a software company for many years until I got myself onto a team that was already spread out enough that they did not care where I lived and then I made my move. Also, I had to wait for some aspects of technology to improve to where I could do my particular job remotely. A lot of companies are willing to allow it these days because it saves them a lot of money, keeps their workers happy and actually increases productivity in most cases.

However, I know of no companies that regularly hire NEW EMPLOYEES for remote positions, since it can obviously be a risky thing for them. That's not to say that they're not out there, I just don't know of any. In most cases, it's kind of a privilege that you have to work your way up to. Also, there are other drawbacks, which I won't go into right now, but the benefits have been well worth it for me.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:49 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoehring78 View Post
We live in Lafayette and love it here, but Boulder County taxes are high. I don't know if you pay property taxes where you are in Texas, but they can be pretty scary in Boulder County.
Not compared to Texas. Property taxes here are minimal in comparison. We lived in Texas for a long time and yes, while many things will give you sticker shock here - car registration, state income tax, prices of homes, etc., property taxes will not be one of them. WAY lower here.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:42 AM

615 posts, read 1,375,060 times
Red face Boulder Named Best Place To Raise Abducted Children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradeshows View Post
Looking for great advise.... Moving from Texas to Colorado, but where? We can live anywhere that satisfies these needs:
1. Great Family Life, opportunites for children activities
2. Good Schools
3. Smaller, tight community, ability to walk places
4. Neighborhoods with community centers, open spaces, hiking trails, neighborhood events
5. Open minded ~ New Age influence community

THANKS!!!!! Amber
BOULDER, CO—The picturesque city of Boulder once again placed first in American Living's annual tally of the nation's 20 best places to raise abducted children, taking top honors for the third consecutive year.

"With plenty of cultural amenities, unsurpassed recreational opportunities, and an inviting lack of neighborhood watch groups, Boulder is the ideal place to raise a captive family," the magazine's editors wrote in a two-page feature spread. "The city is large enough for new residents to quickly blend in, yet small enough that one could easily track down a child who manages to escape from the attic crawlspace in the dead of night."

Click here to read the rest of the article.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:32 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,918 times
Hopefully people know that The Onion article referenced above is satire...

Last edited by Neditate; 07-20-2010 at 08:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area