Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:30 AM

39 posts, read 158,243 times

Advertisements

We are moving out to the south of Boulder area Louisville/Superior and am curious about the commute to Denver Tech Center (Park)? I won't have to go in evryday 3-4 days a week and the time is after 9:00am (9:30) and before 5:00pm (4:00PM). So is it going to be around 40-50 minutes I can live with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 02:51 PM

11,815 posts, read 34,298,326 times
on a good day. I spent the weekend in Boulder - 45 minutes from my office in Centennial to the gunbarrel area north of Boulder proper.

Things lighten up after 9 am - but anytime after 3 gets to be rush hour, especially on Fridays.

If there is an accident or weather...

Old 06-05-2007, 08:01 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,940,793 times
Not a good idea IMO. It's one thing to already be living there and take a job in the DTC due to circumstances, but to move into that kind of situation? Why would you do that to yourself?

If you must, you'll probably save your sanity somewhat if you just take the bus and try to redeem a little bit of that commute time by reading or working. There is a route that heads from Boulder to DTC, stopping in Louisville.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:42 AM

Well, I just came back from our trip out to to the Boulder area for area hunting. Definitely, liked Louisville and Superior was also nice albeit it basically consists of one newer home subdivision which has homes just crammed together with some really weird shaped yards in back. We also took a drive down from Louisville along the extreme western edge of Denver on 93 to though Arvada, Golden, Ken Caryl (Chatfield Reservoir) and then Castle Rock.
CR pretty much was want we expected and in general the southern metro areas as well. Which means we were correct in deciding against buying their. We liked the Chatfield area. Golden was nice but the mountains are kind of ominously looming over the city. We like western Arvada until one of the realtors we were with pointed out that it use to be a nuclear superfund area. We also, took alook at a few areas in western erie and Broomfield. Broomfield is nice but everything is so new I don't get a community feel other tan each subdivisions artificially created one. Erie is great except for all the natural gas tanks and drilling towers in parks and open space. We could definitely get a larger lot /or backed to open space in Erie. The only two things holding us back on Erie is being able to find something that is in a good school area preferably Boulder County Dist. and the fact I would have to take 1-25 into the DTC(Belleview exit) twice a week. The nice thing about Boulder subs is I have a at least teo choices one 36 to I-25 or 93s to 470 to the DTC.
I did the drive in to Greenwordd village (DTC) at 700 am on Friday and it took me 45 minutes and that was going in the right lane most of the way even when there was no traffic since I wasn't familar wiith the roads. I could of made it in 40 minutes. Now, there were no accidents in front of me , the weather was good and it was a friday so these all could have been factors in the time it took me. Overall, it wasn't nearly as bad as what I was expecting compared to Boston gridlock. Certainly if was driing it everyday i wouldn't like it.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:35 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,590,216 times
I agree with tfox. If you know that you are going to be working in the Tech Center, why live in Louisville? There are lots of nice homes in the Tech Center and unlimited choices within an easy half hour of the Tech Center.

I commute from the Tech Center (Orchard and I-25) to downtown, and I can tell you that most mornings the traffic heading south is worse than the northbound traffic. And anytime after 3:00 p.m., the northbound is a parking lot.

Riding the bus is a great idea for saving your sanity, but why spend all that time on the road if you don't have to?

Old 07-01-2007, 12:43 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,281,064 times
Quote:
galaril: We also, took alook at a few areas in western erie and Broomfield. Broomfield is nice but everything is so new I don't get a community feel other tan each subdivisions artificially created one. Erie is great except for all the natural gas tanks and drilling towers in parks and open space. We could definitely get a larger lot /or backed to open space in Erie. The only two things holding us back on Erie is being able to find something that is in a good school area preferably Boulder County Dist. and the fact I would have to take 1-25 into the DTC(Belleview exit) twice a week. The nice thing about Boulder subs is I have a at least teo choices one 36 to I-25 or 93s to 470 to the DTC.

I did the drive in to Greenwordd village (DTC) at 700 am on Friday and it took me 45 minutes and that was going in the right lane most of the way even when there was no traffic since I wasn't familar wiith the roads. I could of made it in 40 minutes. Now, there were no accidents in front of me , the weather was good and it was a friday so these all could have been factors in the time it took me. Overall, it wasn't nearly as bad as what I was expecting compared to Boston gridlock. Certainly if was driing it everyday i wouldn't like it.
I live in Louisville and I do not think I would recommend it if I had to drive to DTC twice a week. If you could decrease the frequency of that drive it would probably be OK. My DD lives in south Denver, somewhat near the DTC, yet north of it and we count on 45 min to get to her apt. Yes, driving on a Friday makes a difference. Lots of people leave town Thurs. night for weekend camping, etc. And do keep in mind you need to add time to park and get to wherever it is you are going in the DTC (assuming you are not driving down there to work in your car, LOL).

Broomfield would be a tiny bit closer, maybe wouldn't make any difference at all in the drive time. I have a lot of experience with Broomfield as my kids participated in high school sports there (while going to Louisville schools). I think they have a great 'sense of community' there, and if you have kids, you will get drawn in to that parent volunteer stuff anywhere. I would not worry about the St. Vrain schools in Erie vs the Boulder Valley Schools in southern Boulder Co. Both districts are good; Erie has tons of kids with involved parents, and that is what makes schools good, IMO. Colorado has a liberal open-enrollment policy, so if you really don't like the schools in Erie, you can open enroll somewhere else. But all in all, I would look closer to the DTC.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I live in Louisville and I do not think I would recommend it if I had to drive to DTC twice a week. If you could decrease the frequency of that drive it would probably be OK. My DD lives in south Denver, somewhat near the DTC, yet north of it and we count on 45 min to get to her apt. Yes, driving on a Friday makes a difference. Lots of people leave town Thurs. night for weekend camping, etc. And do keep in mind you need to add time to park and get to wherever it is you are going in the DTC (assuming you are not driving down there to work in your car, LOL).

Broomfield would be a tiny bit closer, maybe wouldn't make any difference at all in the drive time. I have a lot of experience with Broomfield as my kids participated in high school sports there (while going to Louisville schools). I think they have a great 'sense of community' there, and if you have kids, you will get drawn in to that parent volunteer stuff anywhere. I would not worry about the St. Vrain schools in Erie vs the Boulder Valley Schools in southern Boulder Co. Both districts are good; Erie has tons of kids with involved parents, and that is what makes schools good, IMO. Colorado has a liberal open-enrollment policy, so if you really don't like the schools in Erie, you can open enroll somewhere else. But all in all, I would look closer to the DTC.

Well, we still have a lot of till we move next summer (may-Aug) time frame. I will be parking right at our companies parking lot, so the 45 minutes is a direct shot. But as tfox mentioned the northward evening commute is a parking lot so that could be a issue.
I apprecaite evryones input and things may change. However, at this time I just haven't seen anything in the southern areas we like. Another factor is being a little closer to the mountains. I will be testing this driving thing a few more times and am interested in the drive out on 470 to 93 to see if it is much better.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:21 PM

OK, here's where my "wet blanket" rep comes from. 93 can be awful in the winter! DH worked in Golden for years and would not take 93 at all. He usually took Indiana St.; sometimes in bad weather had to take Wasdworth. 93 is windy (winding) and well as windy (blowy). Also out of the way, actually, for Louisville/Superior and way out of the way for Broomfield/Erie.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
OK, here's where my "wet blanket" rep comes from. 93 can be awful in the winter! DH worked in Golden for years and would not take 93 at all. He usually took Indiana St.; sometimes in bad weather had to take Wasdworth. 93 is windy (winding) and well as windy (blowy). Also out of the way, actually, for Louisville/Superior and way out of the way for Broomfield/Erie.
Thanks. Being that you live there you would know better than me. I think as others have told me there are some many things to consider when choosing where to live it is hard to get evrything in one location. Some of the things we consider are which areas have great schools, veiw of mountains, larger floor plan, small town feel,good commute times, reasonable distance to the a mountain to snowboard on, near shopping etc. We haven't completely figured out where yet but we really think the boulder area is best for us. We actually are now interested in a few other areas ie New Mexico and Arizona as well.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:39 PM

galaril: sounds like if you come to CO, you would want to be on the west side, whether north or south, to be closer to the mtns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area