Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 07:13 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times

Advertisements

Wow...masterpiece performance by Martinez. He knocked down his opponent 5 times (the last one being the stoppage).

In the post-fight interview he said he wanted the best (Pacquiao, Mayweather) and that his dream and obsession is to become p4p #1.

For the ones who saw the fight; what do you think of his performance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 01:49 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
I didn't see the fight, but I have more confidence in fighters who are humble. Martinez screaming for the best almost implies that he thinks he has no room for improvement. Big money is what he wants, and he wants it as soon as he can get it.

Frankly, he takes too much punishment to be considered a great fighter. He's a decent boxer. Most of his punches are strictly fast arm punches with an occasional risky power shot that finds its mark when his opponent is tired and also reckless.

I hope he gets his wish and it able to secure a match against Pacman. Both Mayweather and Pacman would have no trouble with him IMO. Pacman would blow him out. Mayweather would outbox him.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:54 PM

172 posts, read 477,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Martinez screaming for the best
Who is he supposed to Call out? no one? Sturm? Golovkin? Pirog? Pavlik(again)?

Sturm is uninterested, Golovkin is After Sturm, Pirog is fighting later this month in Russia, and Pavlik Just got out of rehab...There is Matthew Macklin but I think he also has a fighting coming up, and with Martinez being 34 already I can understand why he is calling for the big fights instead of the guys i mentioned previously...

Old 03-18-2011, 01:08 PM

161 posts, read 141,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I didn't see the fight, but I have more confidence in fighters who are humble. Martinez screaming for the best almost implies that he thinks he has no room for improvement. Big money is what he wants, and he wants it as soon as he can get it.

Frankly, he takes too much punishment to be considered a great fighter. He's a decent boxer. Most of his punches are strictly fast arm punches with an occasional risky power shot that finds its mark when his opponent is tired and also reckless.

I hope he gets his wish and it able to secure a match against Pacman. Both Mayweather and Pacman would have no trouble with him IMO. Pacman would blow him out. Mayweather would outbox him.
Serg fights at 160. I think Mayweather and Manny can out box him too, but I don't see why Manny or Mayweather would want to take that fight. It's a lose-lose situation for both those guys. You're probably not getting the biggest purse, taking punches from a guy I'm sure walks around well above 165, and even if you beat him, they'll still be screams about who's truly the p4p king. I don't think Serg has done enough to call out Manny or Floyd yet. Maybe we can feed him to Andre Ward at a catch weight.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:53 PM
jds

162 posts, read 456,744 times
floyd and pac man wont fight him hes too big and there is the risk of the bigger fighter martinez landed a good punch IE (mayweather buckled at the hands of mosley in rd 2) I would love for martinez to fight kirkland in a few fights from now... big time fighter..

Old 03-30-2011, 02:40 PM

Kirkland would have to fight 2-3 more times before he gets a shot at Martinez.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:20 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
I was so disappointed to see that Kirkland lost his last match. I thought he and Martinez were set on an inevitable collision course which would make for an exciting fight. I'll have to see if Kirkland can recover from this loss and defeat a quality opponent before I'm sold on his future.

Martinez is alright, but nothing special IMHO. He's a scrappy and versatile fighter who finds ways to win with his unorthodox style. Not sure where he goes from here. Pac and Floyd are too small for him and I don't think either will fight him anyway...more risk than reward...and there isn't exactly a lot of talent at 160 or anyone at 154 eager to fight him. I wouldn't mind seeing him fight the winner of the Cotto/Margarito rematch at 154.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:58 PM

Kirkland made the biggest mistake of his career by fighting TWICE in the same month still rusty after his 1 year incarceration and without Ann Wolfe.

He can still return from this loss though.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:12 PM
jds

162 posts, read 456,744 times
yeah ... my guy... (kirkland) just looked like he hasnt trained he had no defense threw no combinations in that last fight and had zero Defense he needs like 4 fights minimum to fight any top fighter or he will be owned... Im still shocked he got beat. He needs ann wolfe.. supposedly there is rumors going on that Martinez and Pac man may fight if he is successful this weekend at a catch weight of 152 according to trainer freddie roach hes not impressed by martinez... which imo I would be he knocked out Paul Williams

Old 10-03-2011, 08:00 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Another lackluster performance against an unknown so-so opponent. While he was clearly ahead on scorecards he was still struggling, and a shot to the eardrum can drop a rhino, so I'm not so quick to call this an impressive KO.

I found it ironic that he's been calling for a fight with Manny and Floyd, two smaller opponents, but when asked what he thought of Hopkins suggesting a possible match up with him he balked and looked perplexed as to why Hopkins thinks he would move up to a catch weight of 170 to fight him when he is too small.

Martinez is looking for his big payday, and I doubt he gets a fight with Manny or Floyd. I still want to see him fight the winner of the Cotto/Margarito fight. Either that or the winner of the Kirkland/Angulo match. When last approached, Angulo didn't seem interested in a fight with Martinez just yet. Hope he comes around on that providing he beats Kirkland. I think Kirkland will fight anyone they put in front of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing