Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 02:05 PM

121 posts, read 240,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
Um no, not exactly. St. Manny had a 145lb. catch weight fight before facing Hatton. Currently, he's making JMM come up to a catch weight to fight him next month.
JMM wanted that catch weight..Pacquiao didnt force him there..Marquez asked for it.

and what about ur boy Floyd now...wants Erik Morales for 5/5/12..HAHAHAHA what a ****ing loser..making another 140lber come up to fight him..an old one at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 05:39 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,942 times
JMM is taking steroids, performance enhancers, whatever. He looks really swollen in the HBO 24/7 episodes.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:19 PM

519 posts, read 604,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHustla View Post
JMM wanted that catch weight..Pacquiao didnt force him there..Marquez asked for it.
Already addressed this earlier in the thread, by all means scroll up.

Quote:
and what about ur boy Floyd now...wants Erik Morales for 5/5/12..HAHAHAHA what a ****ing loser..making another 140lber come up to fight him
Nobody is being "made" to do anything. As you seem to be quite fond of double standards, let me refresh you on your own words: If the other fighter agrees to it..then its on him. Obviously he feels he can perform just as good at whatever the weight is you get me.... Yeah, I get you.

Quote:
..an old one at that.
Not as old as the guy your boy, Manny is fighting on Saturday.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:38 AM

121 posts, read 240,584 times
Quote:

Nobody is being "made" to do anything. As you seem to be quite fond of double standards, let me refresh you on your own words: If the other fighter agrees to it..then its on him. Obviously he feels he can perform just as good at whatever the weight is you get me.... Yeah, I get you.

Not as old as the guy your boy, Manny is fighting on Saturday.
i posted that in regards to Floyd and you trashing Manny and his opponents yet Floyd fights Morales..lol really...look they're both in the same boat..KINDA..

no matter who they fight , its not going to live up to the fact we all WANT THEM TO STEP IN THE RING VS EACH OTHER..and for some reason..its Mayweather who doesnt want to.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHustla View Post
i posted that in regards to Floyd and you trashing Manny and his opponents yet Floyd fights Morales..lol really...look they're both in the same boat..KINDA..
I don't trash Manny. I hold absolutely nothing against him as a person or as a boxer. Its some of his fans that have recently popped up (who in actuality are usually more just anti-Floyd than they are pro-Pac) that I tend to find grating.

Quote:
no matter who they fight , its not going to live up to the fact we all WANT THEM TO STEP IN THE RING VS EACH OTHER..and for some reason..its Mayweather who doesnt want to.
Please. If we must go down this road for the umpteenth time, this fight could have been signed, sealed and delivered a LONG time ago except for Manny was supposedly scared of needles....

Sent from my Evo 3D using Tapatalk

Old 11-08-2011, 11:09 AM

33 posts, read 109,402 times
Poor Marquez is gonna get the beating of his life, it will certainly be sad to end your carrer like this, this fight should not happen, it is a waist of time....

Old 11-08-2011, 11:48 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
I don't trash Manny. I hold absolutely nothing against him as a person or as a boxer. Its some of his fans that have recently popped up (who in actuality are usually more just anti-Floyd than they are pro-Pac) that I tend to find grating.

Please. If we must go down this road for the umpteenth time, this fight could have been signed, sealed and delivered a LONG time ago except for Manny was supposedly scared of needles....

Sent from my Evo 3D using Tapatalk
You don't trash Manny, yet you refer to him as St. Manny, and look for every possible way to trivialize his wins and career. At least I admit I don't like Floyd. I respect his skills and ability, but I don't like him as a person or a boxer and for good reason.

As to the potential fight between them...we have a chicken and the egg argument that will never be won. Floyd's fans will take his side, Manny's will take his, and it will go on and on until the two actually fight. That said, Manny answered the call a long time ago and Floyd has gone silent and gets belligerent with interviewers who ask about it.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:53 AM

I don't know if JMM is going to take the beating everyone thinks he will. He's still competitive and apparently bigger and stronger than ever. He is the one fighter who has Manny's number and can counter him very effectively. I don't think this is going to be a walk in the park for Manny. At least not the first half of the fight. It will definitely be more entertaining that JMM vs Mayweather.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Like Victor Ortiz?
Here's what I don't understand. Floyd fans criticize Manny for fighting Margarito, saying he's fighting a guy who isn't that good and overrated. Yet, Floyd fights guys like Ortiz who are in fact overrated and designed perfectly for his style. He himself calls them overrated, yet he takes fights with them. That doesn't make sense at all and certainly doesn't help his legacy. Of course it's all moot because he found a way to pull a rabbit out of a hat in the Ortiz match.

Quote:
Please. Oscar whined after he lost to Trinidad. He whined after losing to Mosley. He whined after losing to Mayweather. If whining=classy, then I guess your assessment would be correct. Also trying to make that argument that Oscar was robbed against Mayweather is a lot weaker of an argument that Marquez was robbed against Pacquiao in their second fight considering that Floyd had more punches landed and more than doubled Oscar in connect percentage. Marquez-Pacquiao II on the other hand: CompuBox Final Stats: Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Manny Pacquiao
Of course, stats don't always tell the whole story in any sport so I'm glad that JMM at least has a chance to try to earn himself some redemption.
DLH was the aggressor in that match and outside of a few well placed counter punches, Floyd had his hands full while riding his bicycle around the ring. Compubox is a joke. A fighter can land 100 of his 150 punches in one round and do nothing for the remainder of the fight, so it's not a good indication of effectiveness. It's another silly stat. It was a split decision, and FWIW, Floyd chose retirement rather than grant a rematch for a guaranteed $50 million, then a year later comes out of retirement for a safer fight with the smaller Marquez.

Quote:
No double standard. I wasn't suggesting that Pacquiao should drop to 140. You questioned why I thought JMM would be at a disadvantage. I answered the question, simple as that.
The fact remains that you feel Manny is putting JMM at a disadvantage over weight and the only other solution would be for Manny to drop down and take the fight at 140 or so. No matter what he does he's at a lose-lose with the Manny haters, if he fights him at any weight.

Quote:
Good for Team Manny. Of course, Team Manny passed on Margacheato a couple of years back too right after he had beaten de la Hoya into retirement. But hey props to Manny for fighting him after he had been suspended for more than a year and then coming back and then looking rather pedestrian in his tune up bout.
More Manny hatred. I don't recall Manny turning down Margarito but it's possible. I know De La Hoya turned down Margo to fight Manny. I don't think the outcome would have been any different if Manny fought Margo two years prior. At least Manny had the balls to fight someone who Fraud Mayweather ducked.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
You don't trash Manny, yet you refer to him as St. Manny,
That's more a nod to his fans or so-called fans who incessantly try and make it seem like the man can do no wrong.

Quote:
and look for every possible way to trivialize his wins and career.
I just enjoy highlighting some of the hypocrisy that I see. I mean if people like to use certain arguments to try to denigrate the accomplishments of Boxer A, I don't see what's wrong with turning around and applying some of those same arguments to Boxer B. That's when things get to be a problem though...

Quote:
At least I admit I don't like Floyd.
With the constant hating that you do on the man, it'd be pretty hard to deny...

Quote:
I respect his skills and ability, but I don't like him as a person or a boxer and for good reason.
Ah well, we all feel and believe certain things and I'm sure we'd all like to thinkthat our reasons for that are good......

Quote:
That said, Manny answered the call a long time ago and Floyd has gone silent and gets belligerent with interviewers who ask about it.
This again. Two weeks before the fight ≠ the night of the fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Here's what I don't understand. Floyd fans criticize Manny for fighting Margarito, saying he's fighting a guy who isn't that good and overrated.
Eh, what choice did he have? He fought who his overlord put in front of him. Never mind the fact that the guy he was fighting should have never been back in a sanctioned boxing match to begin with as that's a different discussion for another day. Call Ortiz whatever you want, after defeating Andre Berto he was ranked near the top of his division when he fought Floyd. When Manny fought Margacheato on the other hand, not so much...

Quote:
Of course it's all moot because he found a way to pull a rabbit out of a hat in the Ortiz match.
Yeah, he knocked him out.

Quote:
DLH was the aggressor in that match and outside of a few well placed counter punches, Floyd had his hands full while riding his bicycle around the ring.
It wasn't effective aggressiveness. "Clean, effective punching" as Harold Lederman" always reminds us and Oscar simply did not display that. Floyd was never in danger in that fight and was connecting almost at will.

Quote:
Compubox is a joke. A fighter can land 100 of his 150 punches in one round and do nothing for the remainder of the fight, so it's not a good indication of effectiveness.
Of course, Compubox is a joke since it doesn't support your position. And the scenario that you're describing didn't come anywhere close to occurring in the Mayweather-de la Hoya fight or Pacquiao-Marquez II fight so I'm not seeing the relevance to this discussion.

Quote:
It was a split decision,
As was Manny's second fight against JMM. However, I'll bet you that if you survey impartial boxing fans that watched both fights and ask which decision was...sketchier, the overwhelming majority will answer Pacquiao-Marquez II.

Quote:
The fact remains that you feel Manny is putting JMM at a disadvantage over weight and the only other solution would be for Manny to drop down and take the fight at 140 or so.
No, that's your incorrect interpretation. The fact is that I feel that JMM is putting himself at a disadvantage fighting at a higher weight, but that's his choice to make.

Quote:
More Manny hatred.
Not hatred, just calling it as I see it.

Quote:
I don't think the outcome would have been any different if Manny fought Margo two years prior.
We'll never know...

Quote:
At least Manny had the balls to fight someone who Fraud Mayweather ducked.
Fraud? You try unsuccessfully to make me out to be a hater, now the above is a prime example of hating. As I asked in another thread, please don't project your own behavior onto me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing