Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 05:18 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,235 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, the judges that scored that fight should be castrated! Marquez won that fight, plain and simple, no draw no anything other than a W!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 08:58 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
How often does a reigning champ lose a close fight when it goes to the judges?

Old 11-13-2011, 09:43 AM

491 posts, read 1,651,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Next year at this time I wouldn't be surprised to see Mayweather and Pacquiao fight, I think we'll have a Marquez vs Pacquiao IV before the superfight, which I don't think will be a superfight anyway.

Mayweather is too smart to trade punches with Pacquiao, (can't blame him) he'll run all night while Pac chases him to Mayweather getting a decision.

Certain matchups make great fights its the same reason Foreman killed Frazier and Frazier killed Ali vice versa and Ali beat Foreman. Pac vs Marquez IV will be way more entertaining than Pac vs Mayweather.

I had tonights fight a draw which is what I figured, although I didn't figure Dos Santos would smoke Cain so fast.
Well said! Style can make the fight, Ali/Frazier. Marquez posed a tough fight for Pacquiao.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:05 AM

491 posts, read 1,651,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
I'm sorry, the judges that scored that fight should be castrated! Marquez won that fight, plain and simple, no draw no anything other than a W!
Not as plain and simple as you think. If you've watched the fight, in the later rounds you can hear Marquez's trianer (Nacho) telling Marquez "you are winning the fight" and that changed everything, specially the last two rounds, as if he was protecting the lead and basically ran from Pacquiao.
The fighter cannot run away in a close fight, specially if he's not the champion!

Also, did you see the punch stat, it clearly favored Pacquiao. But, did Marquez posed a huge problem in the fight, Yes, but did Marquez win, No but it was a close fight.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:16 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
A friend of mine had an interesting opinion about the fight. Said he, "maybe Manny did this purposely in order to lure in Mayweather."

hmm! That's very possible.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:05 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
Not as plain and simple as you think. If you've watched the fight, in the later rounds you can hear Marquez's trianer (Nacho) telling Marquez "you are winning the fight" and that changed everything, specially the last two rounds, as if he was protecting the lead and basically ran from Pacquiao.
The fighter cannot run away in a close fight, specially if he's not the champion!

Also, did you see the punch stat, it clearly favored Pacquiao. But, did Marquez posed a huge problem in the fight, Yes, but did Marquez win, No but it was a close fight.
and you mean to tell me that fight should have been scored 115-112? Because of 2 rounds? That was a robbery champ-

Old 11-13-2011, 12:45 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
No, I mean like de La Hoya, Hatton, Marquez & Mosley, though of course you knew that. Please do note that I did not state "ALL". As far as Clottey, I know he and Pacquiao were both in the ring one night, but was there actually a fight that night? If a rematch against JMM or the mega-fight with Mayweather doesn't happen for whatever reason, I wouldn't be surprised to see him fight Victor Ortiz next. Though I guess Timothy Bradley is an option as well now that he's under the Top Rank banner.

I'm glad Manny isn't afraid to get hit, good for him. However, what so many people seem to ignore is that boxing is not simply about throwing an avalanche of punches. Boxing is also about avoiding being hit. As such, you'll have to forgive me if don't feel the need to denigrate a boxer for being skilled enough to win consistently without taking a lot of damage in the process. Just like in any other sport, there are multiple ways of getting the job done. For instance, the 1999 St. Louis Rams were able to win the Super Bowl with an overwhelming offense. The very next year, the 2000 Baltimore Ravens won it with a stifling defense. Neither one is necessarily better than the other, just different ways of skinning the cat.

As far as fixing, barring a JMM knockout of Pacquiao, was there really any doubt that Manny would win tonight regardless of whatever happened?
Correct, Clottey was another of Floyd's "do not risk" fighters who prior to Manny, came at his opponents full bore. Manny clammed him up and used him as a human punching bag despite the size and strength advantage.

The whole "leftovers" argument is silly and pointless. I guess Ali was beating all of Frazier's leftovers when he fought Bonavena, Foreman, Quarry, Ellis, Mathis etc.? It's a given that Manny and Floyd will face the same fighters since they are in the same weight classes. It's not as though Floyd punished any of these fighters and softened them up any. Are you telling me that Manny couldn't beat Gatti, Baldomir, Bruseles, Corley, N'Dou?

Hatton, DLH, Mosley were just as game when they fought Manny and weren't considered damaged goods until after he got through with them.

Manny does have a defense and isn't so easy to hit. He's a complete fighter, and way more exciting and entertaining which is why he has such a huge fanbase. He's got balls and class, which is something Floyd is lacking.

If Marquez doesn't KO Manny then he just needs to do more to win. He's got to take the title from the champ and it's not a given that Vegas is going to score in Manny's favor. De La Hoya used to be the media darling of boxing and Vegas never showed him any favoratism.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:46 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Manny does have a defense and isn't so easy to hit
Not sure about that. He normally comes out of fights with a bruised bloody face. If you want to talk defense: Floyd Mayweather Jr. I am yet to see a small bruise on his face after all his fights.

Quote:
He's a complete fighter, and way more exciting and entertaining which is why he has such a huge fanbase. He's got balls and class, which is something Floyd is lacking.
Maybe Floyd doesn’t have class but as for balls, do you mean someone that just stands in the middle of the ring to throw punches non stop? Floyd is a master in defense and accuracy. His style obviously will not get cheers from the casual boxing fan.

Quote:
If Marquez doesn't KO Manny then he just needs to do more to win. He's got to take the title from the champ and it's not a given that Vegas is going to score in Manny's favor
Las Vegas has been scoring in Manny’s favor in all 3 fights vs JMM. Look at Manny’s corner in between rounds and how he sunk his head between his shoulders when the fight was over, knowing he lost.

It only took one fight for Floyd to beat JMM clearly with no doubts what so ever.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:14 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,635 times
Last night, I watched the fight and I feel JMM won by 2 rounds. I must have been watching a different fight because my scoring almost total opposite of the result. Yes Pacman was aggressive and throwing alot of punches but JMM was EFFECTIVELY countering, so much so, that I feel Pacman should not challenge JMM for another fight. JMM obviously has his number.

I do not feel that Pacman has lost a step. This was a classic style fight. JMM waits for Pacman to initiate and then JMM finishes. The results of this fight should have interested Mayweather but deep inside he is scared. This is a very dangerous fight for him, he could be knocked out, and he will not risk it. JMM took Pacman's initial beatings and eventually figured out the blueprint to beating Pacman. Mayweather will not withstand punishment to learn, he is looking for the Cliff Notes to success.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:10 PM

519 posts, read 603,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
The results of this fight should have interested Mayweather but deep inside he is scared. This is a very dangerous fight for him, he could be knocked out, and he will not risk it. JMM took Pacman's initial beatings and eventually figured out the blueprint to beating Pacman. Mayweather will not withstand punishment to learn, he is looking for the Cliff Notes to success.
Nah, I think the side that's scared is the one that won't even come to the negotiating table...

Floyd Mayweather Jr. aide says Manny Pacquiao camp won't even talk fight - ESPN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing