Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 03:15 PM

16,665 posts, read 17,430,851 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the Rumble In The Jungle.

Ali was such an underdog and there were warnings about him being in real danger in the ring. Maybe not the prettiest KO but an amazing outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 11:23 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the Rumble In The Jungle.

Ali was such an underdog and there were warnings about him being in real danger in the ring. Maybe not the prettiest KO but an amazing outcome.
The more I think about that fight, the more I find it to be a sham. The central reason is that Ali didn't give Foreman a rematch. A rematch would've proven to me that the win against Foreman was legit. Ali though, knew that he probably didn't stand a chance against the powerful Foreman in a legitimate venue. Foreman gave him a shot at the title, agreed to meet him in Zaire, and fought on Ali's terms. Yes, Ali was the underdog for good reason. He didn't stand a chance...or so it seemed

Rather than the fight being held in a historically significant venue like MSG or Vegas, where regulations exist, it was held in Zaire, where regulations could be relaxed because of the chaos and nature of the place. Don King was involved so the element of scam was present. The fighters arrived in Zaire for the fight, but Foreman curiously was cut during training, something that had not happened before. This caused a delay and took the edge off his conditioning. Foreman may have already peaked by the time the real fight came off. How knows what transpired between the time Foreman was cut and the time the fight went off. Ropes that had been deemed suitable by boxing officials before, might've been tampered with during the break after the officials went back home (why would they stick around during the delay?). The conditions weren't ideal for Foreman.

Every time I see that fight, I can't believe how loose the ropes are. This greatly benefitted Ali, allowing him to use the ropes to absorb Foreman's powerful blows without taking their full impact. All Ali had to do was made sure he wasn't hit flush or hit by a punch he didn't see. Ali, who could barely last 12-15 rounds with Ken Norton, had no business lasting more than 5 with Foreman.

The knockout was anything but. Foreman, incredibly fatigued, sought the canvas because he was too tired to put up a defense, not because Ali's blows put him out of his senses. Foreman wasn't out of his senses when he fell, and he laid there on the canvas sucking air, too tired to rise, fully aware of what was going on. Foreman just became too tired to fight and gave up. For Ali to pretend as though he knocked Foreman out was to me indicative of an element of his career that I don't care for: being a clown and seemingly performinging magic. That night, he claimed that the win over Foreman proved he was the greatest of all, when in fact Foreman was beaten by factors that had very little to do with Ali's punches.

Last edited by LexusNexus; 02-15-2009 at 11:33 AM..

Old 02-17-2009, 02:21 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
The more I think about that fight, the more I find it to be a sham. The central reason is that Ali didn't give Foreman a rematch. A rematch would've proven to me that the win against Foreman was legit. Ali though, knew that he probably didn't stand a chance against the powerful Foreman in a legitimate venue. Foreman gave him a shot at the title, agreed to meet him in Zaire, and fought on Ali's terms. Yes, Ali was the underdog for good reason. He didn't stand a chance...or so it seemed

Rather than the fight being held in a historically significant venue like MSG or Vegas, where regulations exist, it was held in Zaire, where regulations could be relaxed because of the chaos and nature of the place. Don King was involved so the element of scam was present. The fighters arrived in Zaire for the fight, but Foreman curiously was cut during training, something that had not happened before. This caused a delay and took the edge off his conditioning. Foreman may have already peaked by the time the real fight came off. How knows what transpired between the time Foreman was cut and the time the fight went off. Ropes that had been deemed suitable by boxing officials before, might've been tampered with during the break after the officials went back home (why would they stick around during the delay?). The conditions weren't ideal for Foreman.

Every time I see that fight, I can't believe how loose the ropes are. This greatly benefitted Ali, allowing him to use the ropes to absorb Foreman's powerful blows without taking their full impact. All Ali had to do was made sure he wasn't hit flush or hit by a punch he didn't see. Ali, who could barely last 12-15 rounds with Ken Norton, had no business lasting more than 5 with Foreman.

The knockout was anything but. Foreman, incredibly fatigued, sought the canvas because he was too tired to put up a defense, not because Ali's blows put him out of his senses. Foreman wasn't out of his senses when he fell, and he laid there on the canvas sucking air, too tired to rise, fully aware of what was going on. Foreman just became too tired to fight and gave up. For Ali to pretend as though he knocked Foreman out was to me indicative of an element of his career that I don't care for: being a clown and seemingly performinging magic. That night, he claimed that the win over Foreman proved he was the greatest of all, when in fact Foreman was beaten by factors that had very little to do with Ali's punches.
The loosening of the ropes was ridiculous. Foreman should have stood in the middle of the ring and waved him out.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:53 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Got any favorate Boxing knockouts you want to tell or show us about.

My all time favorate is Buster Douglas knocking out Mike Tyson in the 10'th round for his first loss back in 1990.

YouTube - Tyson vs Douglas (round 10)

I agree 100%-definitely,and thanks for letting me see it again.Second would probably be Julio Cesar Chavez knocking out Meldrick Taylor(fight stopped with .02 seconds left).Very controversial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing