U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-29-2011, 07:09 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,559,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
This explains why a week before he was sentenced he was calling out Pacquiao. He knew he wasn't going to fight him. He knew he was going to go to jail. What a coward move.
If true, I am not surprised. I used to love watching Mayweather box but his antics grew old. He talks so much crap, which is fine&fun, but he does not back it up. He does not fight all of takers. His undefeated record was perfectly mapped out and totally fraudulent. Its common knowledge, to be the best, fight the best. Instead, he is fighting has-been boxers, ex-girlfriends and security guards. Mayweather will not ever fight Pac-Man. Given that impossibility, I would be interested to see Mayweather against Kirkland.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 08:46 AM

482 posts, read 252,165 times
Eh, if anything is stopping the fight from being made it's the Pacquiao side, or perhaps more specifically, Bob Arum.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:12 PM

5,042 posts, read 2,838,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
I'd have a hard time dipping into my PPV budget for that one. Pacquiao would annihilate Tim Bradley. On the other hand, Another rematch with JMM isn't terribly appealing either. Even if he beats Manny, he won't win unless a) he knocks Pacquiao out (unlikely) or b) the fight is in Mexico (again unlikely).
After seeing the results for the 3 fights I can't see JMM winning unless Pac is taken out on stretchers. Even boxing experts, commentators, and fans alike thought JMM was robbed.

By the way, Floyd IS NOT going to jail yet until June so we might see him fight on May 5th

BOXINGTALK : MAYWEATHER JAIL SENTENCE DELAYED UNTIL JUNE... CINCO DE MAYO FIGHT VS. TBA IS BACK ON!

Old 01-07-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
This explains why a week before he was sentenced he was calling out Pacquiao. He knew he wasn't going to fight him. He knew he was going to go to jail. What a coward move.
Blame Bob Arum for no Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather fight - ESPN

Kinda blows that little "theory" to smithereens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
After seeing the results for the 3 fights I can't see JMM winning unless Pac is taken out on stretchers. Even boxing experts, commentators, and fans alike thought JMM was robbed.
The thing that gets me a little is that if you look at Pac's facial expression and body language before the decision was announced you can tell that he had almost resigned himself to the fact that he had lost. FWIW I originally had it 116-112 JMM, but after watching it again I could see it as 115-113 JMM. Neither here nor there at this point.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:45 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,559,149 times
To me, Pacman is losing steam because of age and continuous bruising fights. This fight will happen maybe not in May but sometime. Regardless of when, because its too late to see them fight at their peaks which has pasted. I blame Mayweather for that, patiently waiting on degeneration of Pacman. Yes, it was a smart move but chick$h1t, too.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:52 AM

I don't see how. During negotiations, Mayweather put out his terms for the fight. He agreed to all of Team Pacquiao's terms including the $10M/pound over weight limit penalty. Team Pacquiao wouldn't bite. Pacquiao's scared of needles, giving an ounce of blood weakens him, yadda yada. You wanna talk about chicken$h1t, there you go. This fight could have, should have happened by now..AND the inevitable rematch as well.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:26 AM

5,042 posts, read 2,838,619 times
Quote:
The thing that gets me a little is that if you look at Pac's facial expression and body language before the decision was announced you can tell that he had almost resigned himself to the fact that he had lost
Exactly. He had his head down as he walked to his corner after round 12. No raising his arms, nothing. Same thing with his corner during and after the fight.

Quote:
I don't see how. During negotiations, Mayweather put out his terms for the fight. He agreed to all of Team Pacquiao's terms including the $10M/pound over weight limit penalty. Team Pacquiao wouldn't bite. Pacquiao's scared of needles, giving an ounce of blood weakens him, yadda yada. You wanna talk about chicken$h1t, there you go. This fight could have, should have happened by now..AND the inevitable rematch as well.
Thatís right. Mayweather agreed to the $10,000,000 weight limit penalty, ring size, date, 50/50 split of the purse, venue, and so on. Then, Mayweather makes a single request that would be applied TO BOTH: Olympic style random blood tests. And thatís when all of a sudden Pac and his team started coming out with silly contradicting excuses: I am afraid of needles, blood tests weakens me, etc. Even Bob Arum went as far as saying that maybe a nurse could hurt his arm if she didnít take out the blood properly. And now what?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:02 PM

8,866 posts, read 11,076,231 times
Mayweather didn't agree to any terms, or if he did, he lied. When he made his demand for Olympic testing in an attempt to control negotiations, he agreed to a 50/50 split. Once Manny agreed to Olympic testing, Mayweather found another way out and demanded a 60/40 split. Then, he suddenly went silent, throwing tantrums with interviewers any time they dared to corner him about fighting Manny. Now, he comes out with this farsical booking of the MGM Grand for a fight on May 5th, once again trying to dictate the terms of the fight early on before negotiations. I don't think he ever had any intention of fighting Manny on May 5th, it was a publicity stunt by Mr. All-flash-no-substance. I'm sure his promoter Golden Boy De La Hoya played a part in that slick PR move as well.

Manny's next opponent in June will likely be Bradley IMO. If not him, I'd be interested in a match with Peterson, especially after Khan's classless remarks following Manny's last fight against JMM. Arum has suggested a fight with Mayweather in November and in a much bigger venue than the MGM which only seats 18,000, this fight can easily fill a football stadium and it just makes sense in terms of revenue to hold it somewhere much larger.

Meanwhile, Floyd SHOULD fight a viable opponent in May, hopefully Cotto. If not, then the only other opponents that look half interesting are Alvarez and Kirkland, which will likely never happen, too risky for Floyd. The talk now is that Floyd is lining up a fight with Robert Guerrero. Who??? Yeah, that's what I said. Yet another who's-who of no name overmatched "safe" opponents for Floyd to look "Pretty" against.

DLH accuses Arum of lining up opponents for his fighters that are all in the same stabile so he can collect money on both sides of the gate, yet DLH is doing the same thing trying to line up a fight with Guerrero and Mayweather. Or a possible but unlikely match with Alvarez, all of whom he promotes. Bottom line, all these big time promoters are sleazy, just like politicians.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 PM

8,866 posts, read 11,076,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
To me, Pacman is losing steam because of age and continuous bruising fights. This fight will happen maybe not in May but sometime. Regardless of when, because its too late to see them fight at their peaks which has pasted. I blame Mayweather for that, patiently waiting on degeneration of Pacman. Yes, it was a smart move but chick$h1t, too.
Yep, I've been saying this for the longest time. Floyd has made a career of waiting for potential opponents to either weed one another out or wait for them to age via time or tough fights. He's played it safe his entire career and twenty years from now that will be his legacy and how he'll be remembered by sportswriters.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:22 AM

I was waiting for the half truths and flat out inaccuracies to pop up. At any rate, we'll have to wait for history to make it's judgments. What Arum and Team Pacquiao are being remembered for in the here and the now is for ducking Mayweather. The attempt at trying to spin it any other way is comical at best.

Sent from my Clean Evo 3D using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing