Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Floyd has made a career of waiting for potential opponents to either weed one another out or wait for them to age via time or tough fights
As if Pac is totally guilt free about this. Fighting a weight-drained zombie past his prime Oscar de la Hoya. Fighting a guy who came from embarrassing defeats, Antonio Margarito. A damaged goods Miguel Cotto and the list goes on. But the best one was his last fight vs JMM. Here we had a low low low underdog who did terrible in that weight when he was dominated by Floyd Mayweather. So Pac and his team were quick to ask him to once again go up to that weight and face him expecting the fight to be a total walk in the park. What a surprise did Pac and his team get when JMM stepped into the ring and did what he did, “win” the fight. He cherry picked an opponent to make him look good but it was the total opposite. He was “beaten” by a guy that Floyd beat with no doubt what-so-ever. I would be surprised if JMM won a single round on that fight. And now what? Floyd was going to jail so Bob talked about a fight on May for Pac. Now Floyd is not going to jail yet and all of a sudden “Oh, Manny needs more time to rest so there won’t be a fight in May”. Come on.

Quote:
Mayweather didn't agree to any terms, or if he did, he lied
He lied according to you, right?

As for Manny agreeing for the tests, nope, he didn’t. He asked, and continues to ask, for X amounts of cutoff days where he won’t have his blood tested. What is that?! It is called RANDOM for a reason and Floyd is willing to take it as well. Why would this be unfair if Floyd is willing to take it too? Past opponents have taken the blood with no problem at all, no excuses, nothing. Even Nonito Donaire (Filipino) before his fight vs Cocholito looked at the cameras and said “You can check my blood randomly, 360 days of the year, no problem”. I wonder if that was a message for his fellow Filipino boxer Manny.

What do you think of Pac and his team saying that he is afraid of needles, blood makes him nervous and weakens him, a nurse could hurt his arm, etc?

[quote]Arum has suggested a fight with Mayweather in November and in a much bigger venue than the MGM[/quiote]

Why not in May? Pac was going to fight in May anyways until they heard the news that Floyd was not going to jail yet. I can understand Pac’s promoters and team not wanting a fight with Floyd. JMM is a counter puncher and pretty good at it who has “beaten” Pac already. Floyd only needed one fight to beat him CLEARLY. Floyd is faster than JMM, better defense, more reach, more smarts in the ring, etc. No wonder Bob Arum quickly avoided a fight with Floyd this May.

Now, do I believe Pac can beat Floyd? OF COURSE! As much as I believe Floyd can beat Pac. That is why this fight is great in many boxing fan’s eyes! Because nobody really knows who can win easily. If someone can win by KO in this fight, it is Pac. If someone can win by a dominating clear decision and boxing lesson, it’s Floyd. A great match but the promoter is not helping much.

Quote:
The talk now is that Floyd is lining up a fight with Robert Guerrero. Who??? Yeah, that's what I said. Yet another who's-who of no name overmatched "safe" opponents for Floyd to look "Pretty" against.
Pacquiao last opponents haven’t really been that big of a risk. JMM fight was SUPPOSED to be a walk at the park and look what happened, what an embarrassment really. And Pac and his team talk about JMM #4?! What a joke. JMM CANNOT beat Pac unless he leaves on a stretcher. Box commentators, boxing experts, and the fans all know Pac didn’t deserve the win as well as past fights with JMM.

Quote:
Bottom line, all these big time promoters are sleazy, just like politicians.
I gotta agree with that. Promoters can sometimes just be a barrier for big fights to happen because they don’t want to lose their cash cow. After hearing Bob Arum quickly change his mind after Floyd’s news I disliked him even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 01:22 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,779,241 times
Pacman is gonna headstomp this tool acting "champion" Mayweather......Cannot wait for this fight to happen......

Old 01-10-2012, 03:42 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Pacman is gonna headstomp this tool acting "champion" Mayweather......Cannot wait for this fight to happen......
What do you think of his last fight vs JMM?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:38 PM

519 posts, read 603,737 times
Floyd Mayweather | Facebook

Manny Pacquiao I'm calling you out let's fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see. My Jail Sentence was pushed back because the date was locked in. Step up Punk.

Floyd Challenges Manny - ESPN Video - ESPN

Dan Rafael ESPN | Facebook

If anyone doubts that Mayweather is serious about wanting Pacquiao on May 5, then Arum and Pacquiao should call his bluff and see what happens.

Exactly...Let there be no doubt as to which side is stopping this fight from happening.

As far as venue, if Team Pacquiao would step up, this would be the biggest fight of the century thus far. To suggest trying to hold it in any city other than the boxing capital of the world is simply ludicrous. Plus, right or wrong, part of the reason Judge Saragosa agreed to postpone Mayweather's report date due to the immense financial benefit that his already contracted May 5 fight date would have for Las Vegas, NV. Were he to try and fight elsewhere, she could easily reverse her decision.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:41 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,779,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
What do you think of his last fight vs JMM?

Think it was a tougher fight than expected, but as usual, Pacman delivered! Ready for him to shut Mayweather up once and for all......

Old 01-11-2012, 08:32 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Quote:
As if Pac is totally guilt free about this. Fighting a weight-drained zombie past his prime Oscar de la Hoya. Fighting a guy who came from embarrassing defeats, Antonio Margarito. A damaged goods Miguel Cotto and the list goes on. But the best one was his last fight vs JMM. Here we had a low low low underdog who did terrible in that weight when he was dominated by Floyd Mayweather. So Pac and his team were quick to ask him to once again go up to that weight and face him expecting the fight to be a total walk in the park. What a surprise did Pac and his team get when JMM stepped into the ring and did what he did, “win” the fight. He cherry picked an opponent to make him look good but it was the total opposite. He was “beaten” by a guy that Floyd beat with no doubt what-so-ever. I would be surprised if JMM won a single round on that fight. And now what? Floyd was going to jail so Bob talked about a fight on May for Pac. Now Floyd is not going to jail yet and all of a sudden “Oh, Manny needs more time to rest so there won’t be a fight in May”. Come on.
Funny you should dismiss all of Manny's big wins over tough opponents, those are the same opponents Floyd ducked and was too chicken**** to fight. His last fight with JMM is just another example of two fighters who have each other's number. Floyd fans were acting as though JMM was washed up at 38 and Manny should have just KO'd him in 5 rounds, meanwhile, Floyd fought a 38 year old Mosley and it had to go the distance as well. JMM has plenty left in the tank and didn't show any signs of aging, in fact, he was in better shape for this 3rd fight against Manny than he was against Floyd. If anything, Floyd SHOULD have been the one to KO JMM seeing how he was much bigger and faster.

Quote:
He lied according to you, right?
Nope, not according to me, Google the history of negotiations and you'll see for yourself. First Floyd demanded Olympic style testing which the boxing commissions should not have allowed him to do, and wanted tests up until 14 days of the fight, while Manny agreed to 24 days. Then, Manny agrees to 14 days and Floyd changes it to up to the day of the fight. He also had agreed to a 50/50 split of the purse but countered with 60/40 demands once he saw Manny was calling his bluff. He also lied when he said he never accused Manny of taking steroids.

There isn't a performance enhancing drug out there that can't be detected two weeks prior and one day after the fight.

5 signs that Floyd Mayweather Jr is scared of Manny Pacquiao and won't sign the contract - National Fight Sports | Examiner.com

Cowardly: Floyd Mayweather Backtracks on Pacquiao PED Accusations

Quote:
Why not in May? Pac was going to fight in May anyways until they heard the news that Floyd was not going to jail yet. I can understand Pac’s promoters and team not wanting a fight with Floyd. JMM is a counter puncher and pretty good at it who has “beaten” Pac already. Floyd only needed one fight to beat him CLEARLY. Floyd is faster than JMM, better defense, more reach, more smarts in the ring, etc. No wonder Bob Arum quickly avoided a fight with Floyd this May.
JMM and Floyd are both counter punchers, but that's where the differences end. JMM is also an aggressive combination puncher while Floyd is a back-peddling pot-shot artist. JMM throws a high volume of punches, Floyd does not. JMM keeps his hands up high and protects his chin very well, Floyd fights with his hands at his sides which is easy to get away with when you are fighting older, slower, and smaller opponents who pose little threat. You can't look at Manny's fights with JMM as a litmus test for predicting the outcome of a fight with Floyd.

Quote:
Now, do I believe Pac can beat Floyd? OF COURSE! As much as I believe Floyd can beat Pac. That is why this fight is great in many boxing fan’s eyes! Because nobody really knows who can win easily. If someone can win by KO in this fight, it is Pac. If someone can win by a dominating clear decision and boxing lesson, it’s Floyd. A great match but the promoter is not helping much.
I agree on all counts. Either of these two stands an equal chance of winning. They are both extremely talented, but I think Floyd's arrogance and fear has prevented the fight from happening as much as Arum and De La Hoya's greed. I think part of it Manny's camp not allowing Floyd to f*** with them and call the shots.

Quote:
Pacquiao last opponents haven’t really been that big of a risk. JMM fight was SUPPOSED to be a walk at the park and look what happened, what an embarrassment really. And Pac and his team talk about JMM #4?! What a joke. JMM CANNOT beat Pac unless he leaves on a stretcher. Box commentators, boxing experts, and the fans all know Pac didn’t deserve the win as well as past fights with JMM.
I disagree, JMM was never supposed to be a walk in the park, if you watched their first two fights you'd understand that. I think fans of Manny just wanted it to be a definitive blowout, but the fact is, these two have one another's number. Too many fans looked at JMM as some over the hill broken down opponent, which he is not.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
Floyd Mayweather | Facebook

Manny Pacquiao I'm calling you out let's fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see. My Jail Sentence was pushed back because the date was locked in. Step up Punk.

Floyd Challenges Manny - ESPN Video - ESPN

Dan Rafael ESPN | Facebook

If anyone doubts that Mayweather is serious about wanting Pacquiao on May 5, then Arum and Pacquiao should call his bluff and see what happens.

Exactly...Let there be no doubt as to which side is stopping this fight from happening.

As far as venue, if Team Pacquiao would step up, this would be the biggest fight of the century thus far. To suggest trying to hold it in any city other than the boxing capital of the world is simply ludicrous. Plus, right or wrong, part of the reason Judge Saragosa agreed to postpone Mayweather's report date due to the immense financial benefit that his already contracted May 5 fight date would have for Las Vegas, NV. Were he to try and fight elsewhere, she could easily reverse her decision.
More chest thumping by Floyd and his PR folks, until Manny agrees to a fight and then negotiations break down because Floyd demands a 60/40 split. It's classic Roy Jones Jr. tactics of dodging tough fights by demanding a majority of the purse. Floyd can Tweet like a jackass all he wants, but behind closed doors when negotiations begin he sings a different tune.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 AM

Does anyone else find it suspect that Floyd suddenly retired in the prime of his career while top ranked opponents like Cotto, Margarito, and Manny were breathing down his neck? Claiming he wanted to "pursue other venues", while sitting out and letting the top competition weed and beat one another out. Face it, Floyd's "retirement" was just another way to duck tough opponents and protect his "0" losses on his record.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:31 AM

No, what I find suspect is that Floyd is calling Manny out again with a date ready and a venue available and Manny is silent and Arum's making excuses. Face it, Manny is ducking him yet again. Manny could put an end to all of this and say that he only wants the fight with Mayweather, no Cotto, JMM 4, Lamont Peterson or Tim Bradley. What choice would Arum have then? But instead, he sits in silence like a frightened little church mouse.

Last edited by Evan702; 01-11-2012 at 10:42 AM..

Old 01-11-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
More chest thumping by Floyd and his PR folks, until Manny agrees to a fight and then negotiations break down because Floyd demands a 60/40 split. It's classic Roy Jones Jr. tactics of dodging tough fights by demanding a majority of the purse. Floyd can Tweet like a jackass all he wants, but behind closed doors when negotiations begin he sings a different tune.
Pure BS. Your boy is looking pretty bad at the moment and no amount of spin is changing the fact that Manny is ducking. As Dan Rafael said: If anyone doubts that Mayweather is serious about wanting Pacquiao on May 5, then Arum and Pacquiao should call his bluff and see what happens. The jackass are the ones keeping the fight from happening and that's Team Pacquiao.

As far as the closed door negotiations, unless you personally are behind those closed doors, you don't know what takes place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing