Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:47 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,942 times

Advertisements

I agree, I had it 9-3 rounds. I disagree that Mayweather would have knocked him out because Mayweather does not take chances. Mayweather never gets in close quarters AND stays there for a knockout, which frustrates fans. This would have opened the door for Cotto.

Sadly, I think Cotto is done, in terms of being dominate. Yes, he fought well and looked really good against Mayweather. My concern is that were a few occasions, throughout the fight ,that Cotto felt Mayweather's power. Combined Mayweather & power are a oxymoron. I believe Cotto is bordering on punch drunk. This is due to beatings dealt by Pacman and the master plaster. Just think, Cotto's career was affected by one confirmed cheater and a possible steroid user.

I am on the fence for a Pacman/Mayweather winner. I firmly believe Mayweather's plan years ago was to wait for Pacman to wear down. We are seeing that now. Matter of fact, Pacman will have a tough time with Bradley or even lose thus opening the door for Mayweather. This fight should have happened years ago but Mayweather played games, saying Pacman was using roids. I agree with his observation but I have to ask the same question to Mayweather. Look at Mayweather's before and after pictures. Also, the undefeated record, to make his record true, he needs to fight Sergio Martinez, Pacman, Paul Williams, Khan or even Bradley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 01:34 PM

320 posts, read 539,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
I agree, I had it 9-3 rounds. I disagree that Mayweather would have knocked him out because Mayweather does not take chances. Mayweather never gets in close quarters AND stays there for a knockout, which frustrates fans. This would have opened the door for Cotto.

Sadly, I think Cotto is done, in terms of being dominate. Yes, he fought well and looked really good against Mayweather. My concern is that were a few occasions, throughout the fight ,that Cotto felt Mayweather's power. Combined Mayweather & power are a oxymoron. I believe Cotto is bordering on punch drunk. This is due to beatings dealt by Pacman and the master plaster. Just think, Cotto's career was affected by one confirmed cheater and a possible steroid user.

I am on the fence for a Pacman/Mayweather winner. I firmly believe Mayweather's plan years ago was to wait for Pacman to wear down. We are seeing that now. Matter of fact, Pacman will have a tough time with Bradley or even lose thus opening the door for Mayweather. This fight should have happened years ago but Mayweather played games, saying Pacman was using roids. I agree with his observation but I have to ask the same question to Mayweather. Look at Mayweather's before and after pictures. Also, the undefeated record, to make his record true, he needs to fight Sergio Martinez, Pacman, Paul Williams, Khan or even Bradley.

I think that Cotto will be fine. If you take away the Margarito loss, his only other losses came from the 2 best pound-for-pound fighters in the game. That’s nothing to be ashamed of. I think Cotto looks much better now than he did a couple of years ago. It took a long time for him to get over that Margarito cheat-fest. Case in point, he was terrible against Joshua Clottey and looked kind of slow against Yuri Foreman before Foreman’s knee gave out. Even when he was in there against Pacman, he had the look of a fighter that was totally shot. He had no business being in the ring that night.

Now, fast forward to the second Margarito fight; he looked really sharp to me. Seeing that he followed that dominating performance with a decent showing against one of the best fighters in the world, I think that Cotto will be fine for the immediate future.

As far as validating Mayweather’s undefeated record is concerned, only Pacquiao can be considered a viable opponent from the list of names you posted. Think about it, Sergio Martinez fights at 160. Even if Martinez comes down to a catch weight of 150 as he suggested (which I have my doubts about him actually doing), how would that fight benefit Mayweather? His name doesn’t put butts in seats. Paul Williams is not much of a box office draw either and he already lost to Martinez twice so he shouldn’t even be on Mayweather’s radar. Putting Khan or Bradley in the ring with Mayweather would not end well for either of them. My guess is that Bradley will prove this point by showing everyone in June that he’s not ready for that type of world class competition.

If Mayweather and Pacquiao do happen to meet, I personally don’t see how Manny is going to get in enough good clean shots to win. It might even end up being a pretty boring fight once Manny figures out that he’s not going to be able to beat Mayweather by simply moving forward and throwing a massive amount of punches like he usually does. Mayweather certainly isn’t going to walk him down like he did at times against Cotto. IMHO, this leaves Pacquiao with a tough choice to make in that fight. Either go with his usual aggressive style and get picked apart by Mayweather’s counter-punching, or try to pick his spots and risk falling way behind on the cards early. Either way, I’d be very shocked to see Pacquiao win a match up with Floyd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing