U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2012, 11:19 PM
 
1,020 posts, read 1,590,420 times
Reputation: 634

Advertisements

By Keith Idec

NEW YORK — Manny Pacquiao hasn’t ruled out a fourth fight against Juan Manuel Marquez.

Pacquiao didn’t think it was wise, though, to meet Marquez a fourth time June 9, despite that at least some boxing observers believe Marquez did enough to beat Pacquiao in their third fight Nov. 12 in Las Vegas. That’s why Pacquiao approved promoter Bob Arum’s suggestion to fight undefeated WBO junior welterweight champ Timothy Bradley once it became clear that his long-awaited showdown with Floyd Mayweather Jr. wouldn’t materialize.

“There’s a chance to fight [Marquez] again, but not right now,” Pacquiao said. “I don’t think people will watch the same movie [over and over].

“For me, as a boxer, if I don’t care what the fans say, their satisfaction … it’s good to fight Marquez because you don’t get hurt, you know, it’s just many movements, not as much toe-to-toe, exchanging punches. But my concern is the fans. I don’t want to lose the trust of the people in boxing. I don’t want to lose the fans in boxing. That’s my first concern, especially at this time. There’s a lot of sports, everything, and there’s [competition].”

Freddie Roach, Pacquiao’s trainer, agreed with Pacquiao’s approach to his Mexican nemesis, who settled for a draw with Pacquiao in their May 2004 featherweight fight and lost a long-debated split decision to him in a March 2008 junior lightweight fight.

“Every time they fight it gets less exciting because we’ve already seen it,” Roach said. “The third fight was nowhere near as good as the first two. And the thing is, I think the fourth one would be the same. I just think it’s like watching a movie four times. How much more do you get out of it?

“Even though it’s a pretty good fight, counter-punchers are not the most exciting guys in the world. But I’ll tell you, [Marquez’s] power in that last fight was the best thing he did, though, so he did make some changes. But he still has that mentality as a counter-puncher, and when he hit Manny with a good shot he wouldn’t go after him, because that’s not in his nature.”

Roach also feels as though Marquez (53-6-1, 39 KOs) squandered an opportunity to upset Pacquiao (54-3-2, 38 KOs) in their third fight, which would’ve ruined the Pacquiao-Mayweather megafight.

“I thought Manny had the edge in the fight,” Roach said. “But I really think they blew it. I think they had the chance to win the fight, but [Marquez’s] coach told him after the eighth round, ‘You’re way ahead. Just take it easy.’ I thought that was bad advice by Nacho [Beristain].

“If my guy’s winning by a hundred rounds, I want him to win even bigger. I don’t believe in coasting and so forth. I like Nacho and he’s a good guy and he’s a great coach and he has a great fighter and all that, but they [screwed] up. The fight was there. If he had fought hard in the last four rounds, he could’ve won that fight.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Status: "The whole world is a stage..." (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
8,871 posts, read 11,094,872 times
Reputation: 16400
Can't say I blame him. There are other opponents out there and I'm not sure a fourth Marquez fight would have generated a lot of interest, at least not this soon.

This puts Marquez in a squeeze because there aren't that many fights to be made for him that will generate a lot of interest. Some possible matches for him would be Morales, Maidana, Alexander, khan/Peterson winner, and maybe Judah. Most of those won't be big PPV draws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 10:35 AM
 
1,020 posts, read 1,590,420 times
Reputation: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Can't say I blame him. There are other opponents out there and I'm not sure a fourth Marquez fight would have generated a lot of interest, at least not this soon.

This puts Marquez in a squeeze because there aren't that many fights to be made for him that will generate a lot of interest. Some possible matches for him would be Morales, Maidana, Alexander, khan/Peterson winner, and maybe Judah. Most of those won't be big PPV draws.
If he takes one of those guys, hopefully it could set him up for at least the winner of PBF/Cotto or Pac/Bradley-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
3,293 posts, read 2,863,064 times
Reputation: 3325
How could another bout not be a big draw given how the last one ended? Between this and dodging Mayweather it sounds like Pacman is trying to avoid a tough fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Status: "The whole world is a stage..." (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
8,871 posts, read 11,094,872 times
Reputation: 16400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
How could another bout not be a big draw given how the last one ended? Between this and dodging Mayweather it sounds like Pacman is trying to avoid a tough fight.
Ducking Mayweather? How many times do we need to go over this? Floyd priced himself out of the fight and even most Mayweather fans can see this now. The way he crunched the numbers it was going to leave Manny with about 30% of the overall take. That's ludicrous! The writing is on the wall, Floyd doesn't want to fight him.

I think after the Bradley fight if a fight can't be made with Floyd he should consider retirement. Either that or fight what's left...Alexander, Berto/Ortiz winner, Khan, or a Cotto rematch if he beats Floyd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2012, 07:04 PM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,980 posts, read 18,645,142 times
Reputation: 10491
Good. No one wants to see them fight again. I've seen all three of their fights and I have to say that despite what the official records say, I have Marquez 2, Manny 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2012, 06:11 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
3,293 posts, read 2,863,064 times
Reputation: 3325
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Good. No one wants to see them fight again. I've seen all three of their fights and I have to say that despite what the official records say, I have Marquez 2, Manny 1.
This is exactly why they should fight again. There's a reason Pacman does not want to fight him again and it's not because there's no interest. Reminds me of Lennox Lewis retiring after his technicality victory over Vitali Klitschko.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Status: "The whole world is a stage..." (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
8,871 posts, read 11,094,872 times
Reputation: 16400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
This is exactly why they should fight again. There's a reason Pacman does not want to fight him again and it's not because there's no interest. Reminds me of Lennox Lewis retiring after his technicality victory over Vitali Klitschko.
Or Floyd retiring in 2008 rather than take a rematch with De La Hoya, or when the only opponents out there four years ago were a "prime" Cotto, Margarito, and Manny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2012, 11:22 AM
 
1,020 posts, read 1,590,420 times
Reputation: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Or Floyd retiring in 2008 rather than take a rematch with De La Hoya, or when the only opponents out there four years ago were a "prime" Cotto, Margarito, and Manny.
Your kidding right? De la hoya was beyond done by that point, which explains how easily Manny took him out. That would have been a waste of time- Matter of fact Oscar was done after Bernard dealt him the liver shot-

In retrospect, by that point Oscar was hooked to pain pills, cross dressing and manic depressive- who want's to see that, other than Bob Arum, golden boy and Vegas bookies?

Last edited by cool rob; 03-04-2012 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 06:24 PM
 
1,130 posts, read 1,548,656 times
Reputation: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Your kidding right? De la hoya was beyond done by that point, which explains how easily Manny took him out. That would have been a waste of time- Matter of fact Oscar was done after Bernard dealt him the liver shot-

In retrospect, by that point Oscar was hooked to pain pills, cross dressing and manic depressive- who want's to see that, other than Bob Arum, golden boy and Vegas bookies?
Manny beat Oscar because Oscar came into the fight looking sick due to the weight loss. Please google Freddie Roach's comments after the fight: "When I saw the fresh IV holes on Oscar's arm when he entered the ring I knew it was over". Yes Freddie Roach said that. That was a nonsense fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top