U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 05:23 PM

519 posts, read 503,769 times

Advertisements

He called out Joe Calzaghe? I wasn't aware of that. I know shortly after Ward won the Super Six, Calzaghe said that if he were in his prime that he'd beat Ward. I don't if any trash talking about Calzaghe is any backlash from that...

As far as Pavlik, there's no reason why Ward should avoid him, but I haven't been overly impressed with him since his comeback. He's a name and it would be a nice fight for the HBO execs, but I'd expect Ward to completely outclass him. He may make the most sense for Ward to fight next. I'm sure Pavlik would jump at such a high profile opportunity.

Junior...well first he has to get past Sergio Martinez and though he's by far the physically bigger man, I still like Sergio's chances though Junior has looked more impressive recently. For the sake of argument if he did beat Sergio, he'd have to agree to come up to face Ward. That, in and of itself, shouldn't be an issue as he really should be a super middleweight (at least) anyway. It'd be a risk though and Junior has been risk-adverse for a lot of his career. I'd just as soon see Canelo come up and fight Junior first.

Cloud would be an exciting fight, no doubt. He'd definitely pressure Ward. However, Ward is so slick and Cloud's defense is suspect imo. I have hard time seeing how Cloud wins unless he catches Ward with a punch that he doesn't see coming and knocks him out. I thought Campillo exposed him in their fight and Cloud was fortunate to get that gift of a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 09:13 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,090,592 times
Speaking of Campillo, he probably has the best chance out of any forseable opponents that would give Ward problems, due to his size, movement, and fluidity.

He's a good fighter that clearly beat Cloud IMO.

On the other side, I don't see Pavlik giving Ward any problems. The last time Pavlik looked like a world beater was against Martinez. The last time I saw Pavlik, he just wasn't what he once was, and regardless, I don't think he could beat Ward at his best.

Honestly, I think GGG could off a decent challenge considering his timing, balance and power. And while the amateurs is different from the pros, he has victories over Dirrell and Lee, as well as a KO victory over Bute. Still, I think Ward's speed and versatility is too much for GGG; however, a single punch from GGG can change a fight.

Chavez...

Maybe Chavez will be able to use his size and strength to beat the far superior technician in Martinez, but I don't think he'll have the same success at 168 or higher where his size avantage will be nullified...for the most part anyway.

On paper, Bute with his short punches, and his speed and power, could pose problems, but he probably won't get past Froch in the rematch, and his confidence will probably be out the window at that point.

Aside from Campillo and possibly GGG, I don't see anyone being able to test Ward.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:50 PM

519 posts, read 503,769 times
I like what I've seen from both Campillo and Golovkin. Golovkin did say after wiping out Proksa that he was interested in fighting anyone from 154 to 168. He also seems to be fairly charismatic which certainly helps his cause. I think both he and Campillo are both too unfamiliar to American audiences at the moment for either to make a viable fight against Ward. I could see Golovkin challenging Sergio Martinez assuming that he gets by Junior, which I expect him to.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:58 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,915,214 times
Totally shocked by the outcome, I expected a great fight from Dawson. Was weight loss a factor or skill? In my opinion, both were factors. I still think that Dawson would lose to him at 175. The reduction in weight was a huge factor against Dawson. For me personnally, I feel great at 225 but in the past when I dropped down to 210 I felt slow and had loss of strength. Luckily for me, I am not fighting for my life in the right. I think Dawson asked too much from his body. Again, the skills margain was too great, Ward could beat him at any weight.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 AM

2,755 posts, read 5,320,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
Totally shocked by the outcome, I expected a great fight from Dawson. Was weight loss a factor or skill? In my opinion, both were factors. I still think that Dawson would lose to him at 175. The reduction in weight was a huge factor against Dawson. For me personnally, I feel great at 225 but in the past when I dropped down to 210 I felt slow and had loss of strength. Luckily for me, I am not fighting for my life in the right. I think Dawson asked too much from his body. Again, the skills margain was too great, Ward could beat him at any weight.
I agree

Old 09-10-2012, 07:50 AM

2,755 posts, read 5,320,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Yes, I do think Dawson has been given too much credit. The Lt. Heavy division doesn't have much to cheer about, so they need to build up whoever is at the top of the heap.

As for Ward, he is good. Great? Well, he's found a way to win against the Euro-class crop of fighters, and now, he's calling out a washed up, retired Calzaghe. A 40 year old man who hasn't fought in four years and has been struggling with substance abuse.

If Ward wants to boost his stock, he needs to start setting his sights on Pavlik, Chavez Jr., or step up and try to make a fight with Tavoris Cloud.
Pre Hopkins Pavlik, absolutely. Now, Ward would simply outbox him. I still believe his stock has been boosted by this TKO over Dawson.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:16 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,008,881 times
I'm not saying Pavlik would have a chance to beat Ward, but I think Ward needs to ride this momentum of beating Dawson, and the way to do it is to defeat young, game fighters, not retired 40 year olds. Though Calzaghe did pull a dick move by trash talking Ward after the tournament, sometimes you just have to let it go and move on to bigger and better things, which I feel Ward should be doing. Unfortunately there isn't much out there, the talent pool is shallow right now. Maybe a match with the winner of Froch/Bute or Martinez/Chavez.

Dawson's loss was a combined result of the weight loss (her really didn't lose much weight, he just drained himself prior to the fight with sucks your energy), and his skill. He was never a very skilled fighter in my opinion. That's why Hopkins looked so good against him, BHop knew Dawson was at best a mediocre fighter, but he was built up to generate some interest in the fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing