Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2007, 06:43 PM

4 posts, read 12,651 times

Advertisements

Did someone watch Jermaine's fight last night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 07:25 PM

261 posts, read 621,556 times
No, but I heard he had the fight in hand early on. Then Pavlik dug down..and the rest is history. Taylor hasn't looked as sharp over the last few fights. I hope he regroups and gets busy for a rematch.

I think JT was bored with boxing. This is his wakeup call.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:53 AM

156 posts, read 377,385 times
"Taylor hasn't looked as sharp over the last few fights."

That's been the one issue so hard to figure .... what happened to Jermain's motivation? This time around, even Emanuel Steward was uncharacteriscally demeaning Kelly Pavlik prior to the fight. Maybe he was trying to psyche out Kelly or maybe he was trying to motivate Jermain. As quoted in the boxing news:

"Taylor gave Pavlik little respect, either, dismissing him as overrated.
Veteran trainer Emanuel Steward predicted the fight would be close
for a round and that Taylor would knock Pavlik out."

There is a rematch clause in their contract and Jermain might do well to find a way to postpone that event for as long as possible.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:07 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
"Taylor hasn't looked as sharp over the last few fights."

That's been the one issue so hard to figure .... what happened to Jermain's motivation? This time around, even Emanuel Steward was uncharacteriscally demeaning Kelly Pavlik prior to the fight. Maybe he was trying to psyche out Kelly or maybe he was trying to motivate Jermain. As quoted in the boxing news:

"Taylor gave Pavlik little respect, either, dismissing him as overrated.
Veteran trainer Emanuel Steward predicted the fight would be close
for a round and that Taylor would knock Pavlik out."

There is a rematch clause in their contract and Jermain might do well to find a way to postpone that event for as long as possible.

that was a good fight......i liked Jermain Taylor before Emmanuel Stewart moved in as his trainer......Jermain should have stayed in his home state to train.......if Jermain had that much trouble with Pavlik then Calzage would have embarrased him.......thank God they didnt fight at this time in Jermain's career......who is everybody going for in the Mayweather vs. Hatton fight?

Old 10-01-2007, 06:13 AM

156 posts, read 377,385 times
That's going to be a great fight. Have you noticed the comaradarie between these two during the pre-fight interviews - much unlike the feelings between Floyd and Oscar De La Hoya back in April and May? These next 2 unbeaten fighters might go to the wire for a close decision ... but it will be a good one to watch. Floyd's ability to avoid hits and to counter punch vs Ricky's ability to corner and slam should be interesting.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:58 PM

4 posts, read 12,651 times
Hopefully he comes back. I really like the guy. He really seemed dissapointed and hurt on the post-fight interview with Larry Merchant, so I hope this was his wake-up call.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:58 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
That's going to be a great fight. Have you noticed the comaradarie between these two during the pre-fight interviews - much unlike the feelings between Floyd and Oscar De La Hoya back in April and May? These next 2 unbeaten fighters might go to the wire for a close decision ... but it will be a good one to watch. Floyd's ability to avoid hits and to counter punch vs Ricky's ability to corner and slam should be interesting.

Actually i havent seen any of the prefight stuff yet but i actually think Hatton can win this fight.....it should be better than the De La Hoya fight.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:59 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default Saw the replay

I saw it last night and I have to hand it to Pavlik, he came to fight and forced the action. He kept his composure after that knockdown. I think he is very beatable however.

Taylor didn't look himself either. He looked tired and skinny. He was muscular, but muscular in the way that Hopkins was before he moved up in weight. I think Taylor has naturally outgrown the middleweight division, and by making weight, he lost an incredible amount of strength. He was good until after the knockdown, when he used up whatever strength and energy he had left trying to finish Pavlik off. Taylor fought nervous because he felt weak being so light.

Taylor was the better boxer. Would be interesting to see the rematch at a higher weight, with Taylor at full strength. Taylor needs to learn to relax. Too much nervous energy saps strengh as well.

Kudos to Pavlik though for taking it to him and making the most of his opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing