U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 05:28 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,573,121 times

Advertisements

What an incredibly sad state of affairs we have here. All 9 boxers have been eliminated from Olympic competition. Absolutely shameful this lack of talent. Just a bunch of lazy, unathletic bums.

All nine US men's boxers are out of London Olympics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 05:39 PM

992 posts, read 1,962,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
What an incredibly sad state of affairs we have here. All 9 boxers have been eliminated from Olympic competition. Absolutely shameful this lack of talent. Just a bunch of lazy, unathletic bums.

If you have been watching the matches, its impossible for even the fighters or even long time experts to have any idea what's going on. It just seems like they are rewarding countries that have few medals.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:00 PM

3,502 posts, read 8,564,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post

US boxers have a pro style that doesn't score well with Olympic judging. I bet you the US team has more success as pros than their Olympic foes do.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:10 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,239,590 times
I don't think boxing is as popular among our youths as it once was. It's too distant from real fighting. I think MMA and Ultimate Fighting will predominate, but they will probably never become Olympic sports.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I don't think boxing is as popular among our youths as it once was. It's too distant from real fighting. I think MMA and Ultimate Fighting will predominate, but they will probably never become Olympic sports.
The big money is still in boxing as evident by the very successful lower weight classes (Mayweather, Broner, Danny Garcia, etc..)

In reality only the Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight division have suffered, moreso from the NFL as opposed to MMA. An American heavyweight champion would be way more successful focusing on boxing over MMA.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:04 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,529,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
US boxers have a pro style that doesn't score well with Olympic judging. I bet you the US team has more success as pros than their Olympic foes do.
I think Woof has a point about boxing not being as popular among youths. Style wise, American boxing teams in the past have been able to compete very favorably in international amateur competition, looking at the '76, '84 and '88 teams as an example. I think with the vanishing of gyms and training programs around the country, you are seeing a diminishing talent pool of amateur boxers. Many of the fighters from the aforementioned years were able to transfer their amateur styles to professional quite successfully (Roy Jones, Ray Leonard, etc.)

Old 08-04-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
I think Woof has a point about boxing not being as popular among youths. Style wise, American boxing teams in the past have been able to compete very favorably in international amateur competition, looking at the '76, '84 and '88 teams as an example. I think with the vanishing of gyms and training programs around the country, you are seeing a diminishing talent pool of amateur boxers. Many of the fighters from the aforementioned years were able to transfer their amateur styles to professional quite successfully (Roy Jones, Ray Leonard, etc.)
scoring system was different and changed directly due to Roy Jones getting robbed of the gold in a fight he clearly won. The new system proved to be worse. The good news it is getting scrapped in favor of a more pro style judging system.

kids are also playing soccer, football, and basketball more. The NFL really hurt the heavyweight boxing division.

Kids that make it in the UFC got their start usually in karate, wrestling, or boxing.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:45 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,921,410 times
Teddy Roach trained them for a short stint, probably not enough time to effect change. Maybe this is proof that a trainer can only take talent so far. Plus, as noted above, USA's best athletes have moved onto other sports. We win easily if our best participate.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:19 AM

7,552 posts, read 16,411,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
scoring system was different and changed directly due to Roy Jones getting robbed of the gold in a fight he clearly won. The new system proved to be worse. The good news it is getting scrapped in favor of a more pro style judging system.
Is that true ? Thats the reason I cant watch boxing is the scoring system. I saw some Irish fighters 10 or so years ago clearly win fights and they lost it apparently according to the judges. I just gave up after that, didn't consider it "real boxing". I was hoping they would change it, I grew up with Boxing and in school it was our #1 sport.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Is that true ? Thats the reason I cant watch boxing is the scoring system. I saw some Irish fighters 10 or so years ago clearly win fights and they lost it apparently according to the judges. I just gave up after that, didn't consider it "real boxing". I was hoping they would change it, I grew up with Boxing and in school it was our #1 sport.
yup.

London Olympics: Changes coming as boxing endures another scandal - Los Angeles Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing