U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,723 times

Advertisements

We all know that winning a world title means you're the best of the best, but what about the boxers who never won one? Who was the best boxer that never won the title?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 10:17 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,008,881 times
My vote goes to Jimmy Bivins. Fought all of the greats of his era and weightclasses. Some runner ups include Charley Burley, Lloyd Marshall, Sam Langford, Jerry Quarry, Sam McVey, George Benton--who went on to be a great trainer, Cleveland Williams, Holman Williams, and Julian Jackson.

I always wondered what Ike Ibaebuchi could have accomplished had be not gone to prison.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:05 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,521,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
My vote goes to Jimmy Bivins. Fought all of the greats of his era and weightclasses. Some runner ups include Charley Burley, Lloyd Marshall, Sam Langford, Jerry Quarry, Sam McVey, George Benton--who went on to be a great trainer, Cleveland Williams, Holman Williams, and Julian Jackson.

I always wondered what Ike Ibaebuchi could have accomplished had be not gone to prison.
All great picks, I will add one from my era..Howard Davis Jr.
Yeah yeah...he had a pure amatuer style but he was never outboxed as a pro...simply did not have the power or heart to propel him to the next level. Best boxer of the "76 olympic class....that's saying something

Old 08-29-2012, 05:28 PM

519 posts, read 503,769 times
Quote:

This guy was a monster. Too bad he is/was nuttier than a fruitcake. Still remember his brutal knockout of the then-undefeated Chris Byrd. Just vicious. Too bad that would be his swan song from boxing...and society in general for that matter.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:

Julian Jackson is a 3 time former champ
Julian Jackson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-01-2012, 05:59 PM

1,483 posts, read 2,915,214 times
This is a great question. A great boxer that does not win the title is not great because he was exploited. I have no answer!

Old 09-01-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
This is a great question. A great boxer that does not win the title is not great because he was exploited. I have no answer!
A lot also depends on the era. Many fighters who fought in past eras would be champions today due to the proliferation of weight classes and sanctioning organizations.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:47 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,008,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
Julian Jackson is a 3 time former champ
Julian Jackson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good catch, not sure what I was thinking there.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Good catch, not sure what I was thinking there.
No worries Brotha Coolhand I almost felt bad bringing it up....Knew it had to be an oversight

I actually had to check because I wasn't sure at first.........dangerous fighters like that tend to get the runaround...

Old 09-04-2012, 10:16 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,536,502 times
James "Quick" Tillis - I thought he was an exceptional boxer, but apparently ran out of gas in his fights. Could've been a champion had he trained harder.

Howard Davis, Jr. - great boxer. Shocked that he never won a title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing