Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 02:31 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times

Advertisements

This is a good matchup. Boxing continues to thrive.

Ward-Dawson kickoff presser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 06:30 AM

519 posts, read 603,984 times
Yep definitely looking forward to this bout. Rumors of boxing's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:14 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,283 times
I don't think Dawson has anything coming for Ward- It's going to be a clinic, with Ward teaching bad chad how it's done-

Old 07-13-2012, 10:24 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,147 times
Honestly, I think Ward's footwork and outside boxing ability is overrated to a certain extent. At least in the sense that he is being compared to Bernard Hopkins.

I don't believe he'll have as much success as BHOP on the outside, trying to box Dawson. There is nothing Ward brings to the table that Dawson hasn't seen.

BHop was an immense learning experience. Additionally, I don't think Ward is as slick as Hopkins.

What Ward does have is, youth and stamina.

But I have questions on whether or not he is strong enough to manhandle Dawson on the inside for a long enough duration to win a decision.

The fact that Dawson is a southpaw amplifies the difficult that Ward will have if he attempts to keep the fight in the center of the ring. And already uncomfortable distance established by the southpaw stance will be accompanied by exceptional atheleticsm.

If the fight was at 175, I would pick Dawson. At 168, I'm unsure, but I'm going to go against the grain and pick Dawson to win a decision.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:40 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
This is one of those match-ups that looks good on paper but I have a feeling it won't be a very entertaining fight. Ward by UD with his superior counter-punching.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:46 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,147 times
I think this is going to end up being a great fight, and very exciting.

I think Dawson has the skills, reach, height, and athleticism, as well as the experience to take Ward to a place he's never been before.

People don't realize how special his Hopkins win was. Hopkins' has few flaws, but his most significant one is his stamina, which has declined a bit with his age. He can no longer punch enough to hang with a guy like Dawson who holds the height, reach, and strength advantages over him.

Ward is a younger man than Hopkins, and while he is very ring savy, he has not mastered the art of boxing to the extent Hopkins has, who is often like a magician with his subtle faints and striking accuracy, as well as being one of the most elusive fighters in the history of the sport.

That level of mastery takes years of experience that Ward does not yet have. Ward will find out early on how strong and determined Chad is, and he'll have to box more than he wants to. Ward has fought a number of high level fighters that will defenitely give him confidence, but so far, nobody has had the ability to test his heart.

And while Ward's opposition were top opponents, none of them offered a learning experience like Hopkins.

So this is a real fight. If Ward wins this fight, and especially if he wins this fight decisively he deserves a lot of credit, and is starting to look like he may be a legendary type of fighter, but we'll see.

This is a big test.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:01 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
This is one of those match-ups that looks good on paper but I have a feeling it won't be a very entertaining fight. Ward by UD with his superior counter-punching.
True..But I think it can go either way.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:39 PM

Ward wins by TKO in the tenth. Solid performance by Ward. I think Dawson may have drained himself making that weight. His legs were shot and he seemed winded early on. I think this fight also helped to finally expose him as an overrated fighter. Not bad, but nothing special.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:37 PM

519 posts, read 603,984 times
Overrated? Eh, maybe a little I guess. However, I think that Andre Ward is just that damned good!

Old 09-09-2012, 04:34 PM

Yes, I do think Dawson has been given too much credit. The Lt. Heavy division doesn't have much to cheer about, so they need to build up whoever is at the top of the heap.

As for Ward, he is good. Great? Well, he's found a way to win against the Euro-class crop of fighters, and now, he's calling out a washed up, retired Calzaghe. A 40 year old man who hasn't fought in four years and has been struggling with substance abuse.

If Ward wants to boost his stock, he needs to start setting his sights on Pavlik, Chavez Jr., or step up and try to make a fight with Tavoris Cloud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing