U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:25 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,090,592 times

Advertisements

And why?

Because it's the perfect set up...if everything goes to plan. Currently, Berto is scheduled to fight K-9 Bundrage, who is a strong, hard hitting, but unrefined 154 lb fighter. Berto has better skills and physical tools, but he's hittable, which makes for a fight of the year scenario.

More than likely, both fighters will hit the floor in a fight that will be a memorable, fan favorite type of fight with Berto getting his hand raised at the end. (So long as Berto doesn't get caught with steriods again, prior to the fight.)

This will take a toll on Berto, but create a lot of buzz in the media because it was such an exciting fight. (Ortiz vs Berto ring any bells?). Berto will likely be the weakest link at 154 that holds a belt and he's already signed with TMT promotions.

So forget a fight with Martinez, Alvarez or Pacquaio. Expect a fight with Berto.

Cotto is a possibility, but he's already in talks with Martinez after his bout with Trout, assuming he wins of course. Besides, I'm not sure fans would be willing to fork over more cash to see a rematch to a fight that Floyd clearly won.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 02:25 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,007,122 times
Not sure if he'll take a fight with the winner of Berto/Brundage, it's a strong possibility. I can also see him making a fight with Paulie Malignaggi, Timothy Bradley, or possible the winner of the Bailey/Alexander fight. Just depends on when he'll be ready to fight and what their schedules look like.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:33 PM

1,195 posts, read 2,521,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Not sure if he'll take a fight with the winner of Berto/Brundage, it's a strong possibility. I can also see him making a fight with Paulie Malignaggi, Timothy Bradley, or possible the winner of the Bailey/Alexander fight. Just depends on when he'll be ready to fight and what their schedules look like.

Other than Bradley, I would choose to not watch any of those matches, and Im a die hard PBF fan

Old 09-26-2012, 02:38 PM

1,483 posts, read 2,914,906 times
If he fights again, pick the weakest opponent.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:46 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,520,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Other than Bradley, I would choose to not watch any of those matches, and Im a die hard PBF fan
I honestly think Floyd would mop up the floor w/Bradley. I want to see Floyd face a legitimate threat, and the only one I see is Sergio Martinez (and possibly Chavez Jr.) either one @ a catch weight. P4P vs P4P. There is little doubt anymore in my mind that he would easily beat Pacquaio.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:28 PM

519 posts, read 503,708 times
There is absolutely no reason why Floyd should fight Chavez Jr. The size difference is just too significant. A fight at 154 against Sergio would be interesting.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:46 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,007,122 times
If Floyd won't fight Manny, I think the fight that would generate the most interest would be Canelo Alvarez followed by Martinez. I doubt he'll fight either of them.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:05 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,090,592 times
Floyd would lose to Pacquaio and Martinez. They are all wrong for him, especially Martinez.

People think that because Pacquaio was neutralized by Marquez, that Mayweather would do the same thing because Mayweather is supposedly a larger version of Marquez.

This is not true. They have two different styles.

Marquez uses constant lateral movement, pivots, and punching while moving.

Mayweather retreats in straight lines, and doesn't pivot. His weight is mostly anchored on his back foot, which means a fleet footed fighter like Pacquaio or Martinez could catch him out of position.

Additionally, pull counters aren't effective against southpaws like they are against orthadox fighters. Pacquaio would double jab Mayweather back against the ropes, and land straight left hands, or at least push him back where he can unleash an offensive attack.

Mayweather prefers to walk down southpaws, but this is very dangerous against Pacquaio because Pacquaio is an excellent counterpuncher, and he has power in both hands.

Obviously, Mayweather's reach, speed, size, and reflexes will present problems, but at the same time his reach could be a detriment because it will allow Pacquaio more time to get underneath his punches and throw before Mayweather can get his hand back in time to defend.

Mayweather is not stupid. He isn't taking this fight for a reason. He can make plenty of money with a less risky opponent.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:17 PM

3,001 posts, read 4,188,001 times
Who will mayweather fight next or why?

I don't care one bit. The guy is a chump as far as I'm concerned. He's a scaredd fighter. He won't fight Pacquio. Honestly I'd fight the dude for a million dollars. I'm not saying I'd win, but I'd do it. If things got too out of control, I'd just pick him up and slam him on his freaking head, then kick in his teeth. That's what years of wrestling will do for ya. Mayweather, the king of dodging real fighters. He can't take a punch. That's my opinion.
\
I got pretty good hands myself, I'd love to fight him UFC style. He thinks all boxers are elite, then take your as s to the UFC and watch what happens. I'm freaking serious too. I've never been a fan of Mayweather and the way he has been ducking pacman is just pathetic. In the old days, you fought whoever. He's a chump.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:28 PM

519 posts, read 503,708 times
Lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or