U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 09:19 AM

2,756 posts, read 5,323,139 times

Advertisements

RIP Macho..I'm glad you are finally at peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 04:40 AM

24,757 posts, read 33,965,965 times
RIP Macho Man.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:38 AM

2,736 posts, read 3,269,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Looks like they're going to remove the machines which are keeping his organs working, tomorrow. Macho Camacho is brain dead, clinically dead. Just a damn shame, but not a surprising end.

His life seemed to be very troubled over the last several years. Drug and alcohol problems, burglarizing an electronics store, shot in a carjack attempt last year, on trial for child abuse of his teenage son. The Macho Man appeared to be on a self-destructive path.
I concur with your assessment: "[Camacho] appeared to be on a self destructive path." In addition, drug dealers (and maybe drug USERS) should not be glamorized or glorified. However, it seems that most of us are (at times) inclined to look the other way when the person in question had (or has) an above average talent which overshadows their inherent weakness for substance abuse, be it illegal drugs or alcohol.

We can easily name off countless artists and athletes who've succombed to substance abuse: Janice Joplin, Jimmy Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, Daryl Strawberry (still alive), John Belucci, Whitney Houston, Ricky Hatton (still alive), and on, and on. . .

In recalling the above names, most of us tend to remember the things these people were able to do with their voices, their guitars, their baseball bats, their comedic nature, their fists. We celebrate their talents, not their addictions. Precisely for this reason, I choose to celebrate and remember Hector "Macho" Camacho's boxing talents and accomplishments.

RIP

Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,543,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I concur with your assessment: "[Camacho] appeared to be on a self destructive path." In addition, drug dealers (and maybe drug USERS) should not be glamorized or glorified. However, it seems that most of us are (at times) inclined to look the other way when the person in question had (or has) an above average talent which overshadows their inherent weakness for substance abuse, be it illegal drugs or alcohol.

We can easily name off countless artists and athletes who've succombed to substance abuse: Janice Joplin, Jimmy Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, Daryl Strawberry (still alive), John Belucci, Whitney Houston, Ricky Hatton (still alive), and on, and on. . .

In recalling the above names, most of us tend to remember the things these people were able to do with their voices, their guitars, their baseball bats, their comedic nature, their fists. We celebrate their talents, not their addictions. Precisely for this reason, I choose to celebrate and remember Hector "Macho" Camacho's boxing talents and accomplishments.

RIP
My comment was just a statement of fact about Camacho's life of late, not a condemnation of his Boxing career. Frankly, he was never one of my favorite fighters and I wouldn't classify him as an all-time great, not even on par with Ray Leonard (a man he beat when Leonard was washed up). Nevertheless, he was a talented fighter. Just my opinion.

Having said that, may he rest in peace. My heart goes out to his family. Shame that his life had to end in this manner.

Last edited by LexusNexus; 11-25-2012 at 10:49 PM..

Old 11-26-2012, 07:16 PM

2,736 posts, read 3,269,884 times
He was more than entertaining. And as Don King declared, "Hector Camacho was a promoter's dream."

His departure greatly pains those of us who were entertained by his countless bouts.

His show began much before he delivered the first blow to his opponent.

And his show continued much after the bout ended. . .be it by KO, Decision or Loss.

He was a Showman which will not be easily forgotten.

"WHAT TIME IS IT?" "IT'S MACHO TIME!"

May we remember him at his best.

Hector Camacho Tribute - Still Macho R.I.P - YouTube

Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 PM

398 posts, read 459,442 times
Yeah...great..."a promoters dream", huh?

Gotta tell ya, folks, I get real tired of hearing these stories about how some poor fool came up out of gutter
and made somebody else a ton of cash!! How many of these kids have to self-destruct before people start asking questions?

I hope Hector made it to the Pearly Gates, but I'd sure love to have a piece of sending those other folks someplace else!!

FWIW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or