U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-10-2012, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Lewes, Delaware
3,466 posts, read 3,147,846 times
Reputation: 1876

Advertisements

If Pacquiao wasn't using for this fight that's his fault, JMM probably was and Pacquiao probably has in the past, athletes especially pro athletes look for any advantage they can get, if cycling is full of roid users so is boxing.

Anyone thinking otherwise is naive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2012, 07:15 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
326 posts, read 457,324 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
Pacman *should* have retired after the Bradley fight. He's gonna' end up like Mayweather, dodging the hard fights instead of moving on to whatever is next in his life. I have nothing against Mayweather as a person, but his boxing career was over years ago. Now it's his business career he's chasing.
Did you watch the Bradley fight? Pacquiao absolutely wiped the floor with Bradley, so much so that he did his "victory" press conference in a wheelchair. The decision to give the victory to Bradley was largely derided almost immediately as one of the worst decisions in judging history. The only mistake Pacman made was not knocking him out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2012, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
519 posts, read 503,845 times
Reputation: 283
Eh? Bradley was in a wheelchair because he broke his foot and rolled his ankle. I don't see how Pacquiao had much to do with that unless I missed where he took to the unorthodox tactic of punching below the knee...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
326 posts, read 457,324 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
Eh? Bradley was in a wheelchair because he broke his foot and rolled his ankle. I don't see how Pacquiao had much to do with that unless I missed where he took to the unorthodox tactic of punching below the knee...
Yeah I guess you're right, Bradley won that fight. Pacquiao should've retired
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2012, 11:40 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
519 posts, read 503,845 times
Reputation: 283
Well officially Bradley did win the fight. Regardless though, save your weak straw man statements for someone that doesn't know any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 11:18 AM
 
Location: :~)
1,483 posts, read 2,915,594 times
Reputation: 1519
Juan Manuel Marquez says "I am a clean fighter," according to report - ESPN

Here we go boys! Test results will be coming soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 12:17 PM
 
1,475 posts, read 2,246,244 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post
Pacquiao absolutely wiped the floor with Bradley, so much so that he did his "victory" press conference in a wheelchair.
I didn't say that Pac should have stopped fighting because Bradely won (Pac beat Bradely). But, I just think that was the time when he should have retired. That was in my mind the *right* time for Pac to leave the game behind.

Yes, Pac it still a top-level fighter. But, boxing is about money not winning. That's why I mentioned what Platz said. If you want to be a boxer to enjoy boxing and prove a point don't turn professional. The Bradley decision makes what I'm saying obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM
 
1,475 posts, read 2,246,244 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post
Yeah I guess you're right, Bradley won that fight. Pacquiao should've retired
I just want to mention again because I don't want you to get the wrong idea about what I'm saying. Pac should have left the game of professional boxing after the Bradley fight because it was the right time. Not because of any lost abilities on Pac's end.

Pac has other more important things to do now. Professional boxing is a game that's all about making money. That's great as far as I'm concerned!!! But, just like any game that ruins a person's body, you only play that game for a short time in your life then you move on to other more important things. Staying in the fight game as a trainer or promoter or something else is a good option. But, fighting in the ring your whole life is a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 01:10 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
326 posts, read 457,324 times
Reputation: 223
You make some good points.

I still think he has 2-4 more good fights in him.

In Pac's defense, JMM is 40+, and still fighting. Same thing for Wladimir Klitschko, Sergio Martinez.

I think you're right though that he can't be doing this his whole life and he's certainly had a good run. I want to see him do the Mayweather fight, and possibly JMM V( I guess they're up for it?).

Apparently Mayweather wants to do 2 fights next year, hopefully the two camps can settle their respective differences and just get it over with already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 01:34 PM
 
756 posts, read 615,623 times
Reputation: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
What these two fighters represent though are fighters who are inferior to Floyd Mayweather, and on this night Marquez elevated his game to a level that Manny could not meet. Neither could beat Floyd.

Exactly

There's a reason why Pretty Boy has an unblemished record and guys like Marquez and Pacquiao have multiple losses and draws on theirs.

Pretty Boy is simply in a higher CLASS...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top