U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 12:21 PM

6,307 posts, read 6,096,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Mayweather was afraid of Pac. Now Mayweather will duck Marques. That's going to be comical.
Umh no. How can Mayweather be afraid of someone who he dominated for 12 rounds and won without any doubts or struggles like Pacquiao did?

Manny Pacquiao got knocked the f*** out, what does Floyd Mayweather has to do in all of this? Come on Pacfans, take the loss as it is and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 12:08 PM

Forgot to add. It only took one fight for Mayweather to beat Marquez in a dominating fashion without any question marks.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:20 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,877,440 times
Floyd lost big when Pac lost to Marquez...he will never get the same amount of $ fighting against Marquez had he fought Pac...avoiding Pacman cost him....so there is no reason for Floyd to avoid Pacman now...he already beat Marquez easily previously right..

i think if anything, this loss by Pacman makes it more possible for a Floyd vs. Pacman fight...Floyd can think of it as a tuneup for his re-match with Marquez or any other highly regarded fighter...

Last edited by JL; 12-27-2012 at 03:35 PM..

Old 12-28-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Floyd lost big when Pac lost to Marquez...he will never get the same amount of $ fighting against Marquez had he fought Pac...avoiding Pacman cost him....so there is no reason for Floyd to avoid Pacman now...he already beat Marquez easily previously right..

i think if anything, this loss by Pacman makes it more possible for a Floyd vs. Pacman fight...Floyd can think of it as a tuneup for his re-match with Marquez or any other highly regarded fighter...
Not sure if a rematch with Marquez would generate all that money. Floyd beat him easily with no question marks. He did not struggle like Pacquiao did 4 times against Marquez until he finally got annihilated in their 4th meeting. If Floyd struggled to beat JuanMa then a rematch would be something everybody would want to see.

Not sure Floyd avoided Pac or the other way around even though it did sound suspicious when Pac avoided to take random blood tests specially with all the contradicting excuses he came up with (afraid of blood, superstitious about having blood drawn, afraid of needles, cannot train properly if he gave blood as he is supposed to get too weak, a nurse can hurt his arm, etc.) but anyways, my blame goes to Bob Arum.

Canelo Alvares, Robert Guerrero, and Adrien Broner sound like a good options in my opinion.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:17 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,090,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Not sure if a rematch with Marquez would generate all that money. Floyd beat him easily with no question marks. He did not struggle like Pacquiao did 4 times against Marquez until he finally got annihilated in their 4th meeting. If Floyd struggled to beat JuanMa then a rematch would be something everybody would want to see.

Not sure Floyd avoided Pac or the other way around even though it did sound suspicious when Pac avoided to take random blood tests specially with all the contradicting excuses he came up with (afraid of blood, superstitious about having blood drawn, afraid of needles, cannot train properly if he gave blood as he is supposed to get too weak, a nurse can hurt his arm, etc.) but anyways, my blame goes to Bob Arum.

Canelo Alvares, Robert Guerrero, and Adrien Broner sound like a good options in my opinion.
I agree that a Marquez fight is pointless, but out of all the guys you mentioned, the only opponent that makes sense is Canelo Alvarez, but given Floyd's history, it's likely he'll fight the far less dangerous Guerrero.

Adrien Broner is competing at 135 lbs, so that's completely unviable.

Guerrero is undeservably being awarded the FOTY from the Golden Boy owned RING magazine. There are many fighters, namely Donaire, that deserves the award far more than Guerrero.

Guerrero has also undeservably gotten a PFP #10 rating, which is baffling considering Mares and Froch have fought far better competition and have better wins over better opponents, but haven't cracked the top 10.

Guerrero's best win is Berto who doesn't have any good wins on his resume. He arguably lost to Collazo, and is best known for getting whupped by Ortiz, who couldn't even manage to get past Lopez, an unheralded 140 lb fighter that was brutalized by Canelo.

Regardless, Floyd does not fight the fights fans demand most to see. He fights guys with a low risk, high reward ratio. Guerrero looked terrible in his only other welterweight outing vs Aydin, who was a crude brawler with limited skills, so Golden Boy had to corruptly award him FOTY to spark interest in this fight.

Even then, fans will see, given his lack of highlight footage, that Guerrero is a non puncher, average at everything, two fight welterweight that has almost no chance against Floyd.

If Floyd wanted to take on a well rounded fighter, Bradley, who has a far better resume and is more proven is avaiable at welterweight too. That fight would be better than a fight against Guerrero who hasn't done anything aside from beating Berto, who hasn't done anything himself and has a history of Performance Enhancing Drug usage.

I suspect Floyd will fight Guerrero and then fight Garcia. Garcia is a good fighter, but his style is made for Floyd.

The fight that would to the best economically for Floyd at this point is Canelo, but Canelo also has the size and style to give Floyd problems and even beat Floyd.

This is why the fight will never happen. Floyd does not like to fight guys that have a chance to win.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:24 PM

3,466 posts, read 3,147,352 times
Mayweather nor Pacquiao wanted a piece of Cotto until Margarito destroyed him with concrete, same for Sugar Shane when he was younger, they didn't want to fight him either. If Paul Wiliams wasn't crippled, Mayweather would be dodging him as well.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:58 PM

293 posts, read 793,580 times
Talking This is it for Boxing...

I guess I am going to wait for another ten years for another hype in boxing for a super fight. No more.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:54 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,915,594 times
Default agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Mayweather nor Pacquiao wanted a piece of Cotto until Margarito destroyed him with concrete, same for Sugar Shane when he was younger, they didn't want to fight him either. If Paul Wiliams wasn't crippled, Mayweather would be dodging him as well.
I agree, years ago Cotto was unstoppable but that beating hurt his career. As a lifetime boxing fan, I have noticed that after Boxers take that "1" severe beating their Boxing careers are no longer the same. Of course, this is why Gatti was so differant, he took some beating and fought back. Cotto is a shadow of himself, I actually thought he was done during the Mayweather fight because there were stints during that match where the old Cotto would have finished Mayweather. With that said, I firmly believe Cotto should sue Margarito, not for the beating, but for using illegal wraps and for Cotto's lost wages/belts...this was a criminal act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or