U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 02:19 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,540,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post
I agree with the sentiment that Floyd isn't the greatest fighter of all time. I too have him below Sugar Ray Robinson, Sugar Ray Leonard as well as a few others. On the other hand, I wouldn't downplay Floyd's greatness simply because he hasn't fought a truly "great" fighter in his prime. Take a look at who's out there. Name a fighter in Floyd's weight range who is great while also being in their prime. There isn't one and quite frankly there hasn't been a great Lightweight, Super Lightweight, or Welterweight in over 10 yrs. There have been really good fighters in those weight classes and Floyd has already disposed of them.

Just in case you are considering Manny Pacquiao in the great category (which I have no problem with), let's not forget how he beefed up his resume by fighting out of their prime Hall of Fame fighters...i.e De la Hoya, Mosely and a broken down Cotto. Granted, Pacquiao gets huge marks on his resume for beating Barrera, Morales, and Marquez but he was never in the P4P discussion until he moved up in weight. Even if they were to fight one day, I personally don't believe that Pacquiao has the comprehensive boxing skills it would take for him to beat Mayweather. He's a great athlete but it takes more than that to beat a great boxer.

At any rate it shouldn't be held against Floyd that there weren't/aren't any legitmately great fighters for him to go up against. He pretty much beat all of the name brand guys that have been out there for the last decade (Cotto, Mosely, Corrales, Castillo among others) minus Pacquiao. And to be honest, I doubt Pacquiao wants anything to do with Floyd after Marquez stretched him out. That being said, I consider Floyd a great fighter although I still would not put him ahead of the other greats who were mentioned earlier.
This is true. Great comments. It shouldn't be held against him. Last night, he backed off statements he had made slamming the earlier greats. he was far more humble. I like this. I would've liked to see him fight Zab Judah back-to-back, since Zab gave him some problems. I also wish he had fought Mosley when Shane was near his prime. That would've been great. Fighting a prime Mosley, two or three times, that's Ray Robinson. He did fight Castillo twice, those were tough fights. Would've like to see him fight Corrales again. Fighting Cotto before Cotto's slide would've been preferred. Fighting a prime Cotto two times in the same year and three times within 18 months was the way of Ray Robinson.

Y! SPORTS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 02:25 PM

Default Good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
I've always thought that the fighters today are better athletes because of superior training methods, new equipment, better video, better nutrition, not fighting as often, more cross-training, etc. Old school boxers are rarely cut like they are today.

If you magically dropped Floyd into the 1950's, I'd think he'd dominate. If you magically took Sugar Ray Robinson in the 2010's, I don't think he'd be that competitive.

If you magically took a young pre-teen Sugar Ray Robinson and put him in modern training methods, I suspect he'd be awesome when he got to his mid-20's.
Sugar Ray Robinson with today's advantages would be an awesome sight to behold.

Floyd Mayweather may not be that great with the limitations of the earlier eras, especially when confronted with a greater caliber of competition that he had to fight far more frequently, and for far less money.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:51 PM

326 posts, read 457,385 times
In either event, he seriously spanked Robert G. on 5/4 which is a pretty good feat considering he is 36 years old and a year off from his last fight.

Mayweather may not be the best of all time but I think he is certainly in a class of his own in terms of the competition out there today.

I will say I think he loses points for not fighting the biggest names in boxing today and instead usually choosing untested or "past their prime" fighters. I want to see Mayweather against Sergio Martinez, Saul Alveraz, and of course Manny Pacquiao.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post
In either event, he seriously spanked Robert G. on 5/4 which is a pretty good feat considering he is 36 years old and a year off from his last fight.

Mayweather may not be the best of all time but I think he is certainly in a class of his own in terms of the competition out there today.

I will say I think he loses points for not fighting the biggest names in boxing today and instead usually choosing untested or "past their prime" fighters. I want to see Mayweather against Sergio Martinez, Saul Alveraz, and of course Manny Pacquiao.
He is in a class of his own today. He has four more fights under the MGM contract. He's already a HOF fighter who can be considered one of the greats IMO. Here's a four-fight deal that would make him Sugar Ray Robinson-like:

Saul Alverez
Manny Pacquaio
Adrien Broner
Andre Ward (at a catchweight)

Maybe he can top it off with a doubleheader. Fighting Sergio Martinez and Timothy Bradley on the same night.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:31 PM

519 posts, read 503,919 times
I'd like to see Floyd face Timothy Bradley. Top Rank well complicate that though. Adrien Broner would be interesting, but he's claimed that he won't fight Floyd, though money could change that. I don't see the pacquiao fight ever happening. It's lost most of its luster IMHO. Plus there's still the Top Rank thing. Not sure about Ward as I'm not a huge fan of catchweights, but that's just me.

I think Floyd may face Amir Khan next, a guy I used to be high on but am not anymore. That should be another easy win.

The most appealing and realistic fight out there is Canelo, which would be very dangerous for Floyd, but it must happen. Cinco de Mayo 2014.......

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-08-2013, 06:54 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,091,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
I'd like to see Floyd face Timothy Bradley. Top Rank well complicate that though. Adrien Broner would be interesting, but he's claimed that he won't fight Floyd, though money could change that. I don't see the pacquiao fight ever happening. It's lost most of its luster IMHO. Plus there's still the Top Rank thing. Not sure about Ward as I'm not a huge fan of catchweights, but that's just me.

I think Floyd may face Amir Khan next, a guy I used to be high on but am not anymore. That should be another easy win.

The most appealing and realistic fight out there is Canelo, which would be very dangerous for Floyd, but it must happen. Cinco de Mayo 2014.......

Timothy Bradley may get retired by Marquez. Marquez is too crafty for Bradley to beat him on the outside, Bradley's only chance, and he may give Bradley the beating of a lifetime if Bradley tries to engage and shows too much heart.

I hope Mayweather does not choose to fight Khan. Khan was getting knocked around by no name, Diaz last fight.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:00 PM

3,466 posts, read 3,148,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post
I agree with the sentiment that Floyd isn't the greatest fighter of all time. I too have him below Sugar Ray Robinson, Sugar Ray Leonard as well as a few others. On the other hand, I wouldn't downplay Floyd's greatness simply because he hasn't fought a truly "great" fighter in his prime. Take a look at who's out there. Name a fighter in Floyd's weight range who is great while also being in their prime. There isn't one and quite frankly there hasn't been a great Lightweight, Super Lightweight, or Welterweight in over 10 yrs. There have been really good fighters in those weight classes and Floyd has already disposed of them.

Just in case you are considering Manny Pacquiao in the great category (which I have no problem with), let's not forget how he beefed up his resume by fighting out of their prime Hall of Fame fighters...i.e De la Hoya, Mosely and a broken down Cotto. Granted, Pacquiao gets huge marks on his resume for beating Barrera, Morales, and Marquez but he was never in the P4P discussion until he moved up in weight. Even if they were to fight one day, I personally don't believe that Pacquiao has the comprehensive boxing skills it would take for him to beat Mayweather. He's a great athlete but it takes more than that to beat a great boxer.

At any rate it shouldn't be held against Floyd that there weren't/aren't any legitmately great fighters for him to go up against. He pretty much beat all of the name brand guys that have been out there for the last decade (Cotto, Mosely, Corrales, Castillo among others) minus Pacquiao. And to be honest, I doubt Pacquiao wants anything to do with Floyd after Marquez stretched him out. That being said, I consider Floyd a great fighter although I still would not put him ahead of the other greats who were mentioned earlier.
He ducked Cotto and Mosely. No one wanted a piece of Cotto till Margarito bricked his head, no one, not even Pacquiao.

With a legit mean streak, Roy Jones would have destroyed everyone in his weight class up and down one or two classes, if Jones wasn't such a nice guy we might have more dead boxers.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:32 PM

286 posts, read 276,737 times
Mayweather never fought a big fight. It's like he never existed.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Timothy Bradley may get retired by Marquez. Marquez is too crafty for Bradley to beat him on the outside, Bradley's only chance, and he may give Bradley the beating of a lifetime if Bradley tries to engage and shows too much heart.
I dunno. I wasn't big on Bradley before, but in the fight against Ruslan (I won't butcher his last name) he really showed that he's a true warrior. I could see him giving JMM a tougher fight than you're giving him credit for.

Quote:
I hope Mayweather does not choose to fight Khan. Khan was getting knocked around by no name, Diaz last fight.
On one hand I agree because Khan isn't worthy. On the other hand, since I jumped off of his bandwagon after the Peterson fight, I rather enjoy seeing him get chin checked. I'm pretty sure Floyd would dominate him. With Floyd commenting before the Guerrero fight that maybe he'd like to fight in the U.K. I think that he's setting the stage. It'd do big business over there I'm sure. Floyd is always about his money!

Old 05-08-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetroof View Post
Mayweather never fought a big fight. It's like he never existed.
Yeah, he only fought in the biggest boxing PPV in history.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing