U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:58 PM

286 posts, read 276,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
Yeah, he only fought in the biggest boxing PPV in history.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Versus which over the hill scrub?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 10:14 PM

519 posts, read 503,989 times
Future hall of famers are considered scrubs on your planet, eh? Well you go ahead and run with that bit of mindless hyperbole....

Old 05-09-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Future hall of famers are considered scrubs on your planet, eh? Well you go ahead and run with that bit of mindless hyperbole....
He fought him in the middle of a 3 wins & 3 loses run.

Hardly a worthy opponent

Old 05-09-2013, 08:54 AM

He was coming off of an impressive knockout win that had absolutely nobody talking about him being washed up, Floyd went up and fight him at his weight. And those three losses? All to other future hall of famers. So whatever dude, believe what floats your boat.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:35 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times
Quote:
I don't see the pacquiao fight ever happening. It's lost most of its luster IMHO.
I don't see it happening either, but I don't think it's because it's lost luster. Sure, it may have lost some to boxing fans, but Floyd and Manny still have more name recognition than anyone in boxing today. I personally know a lot of people who threw parties for the FM-RG fight this past weekend so could you imagine what the hype would be like for a FM-MP fight? If they could arrange a fight within the next two years, the PPV ratings would be through the roof. Outside of that window, however, you start getting into RJJ vs. B-Hop Part II territory.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:37 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times
It's too bad boxing is not like tennis. Imagine if Rafael Nadal could just avoid Novak Djokovic for the next 3 years.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
He was coming off of an impressive knockout win that had absolutely nobody talking about him being washed up, Floyd went up and fight him at his weight. And those three losses? All to other future hall of famers. So whatever dude, believe what floats your boat.

Mayweather is known for avoiding fighters until they are over the hill

Do you have an example to dispel that?

Old 05-09-2013, 01:16 PM

Nah, I've already dispelled your takes enough. I have no desire to play the moving target game with you. As I said, believe whatever floats your boat, homie.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't see it happening either, but I don't think it's because it's lost luster. Sure, it may have lost some to boxing fans, but Floyd and Manny still have more name recognition than anyone in boxing today. I personally know a lot of people who threw parties for the FM-RG fight this past weekend so could you imagine what the hype would be like for a FM-MP fight? If they could arrange a fight within the next two years, the PPV ratings would be through the roof. Outside of that window, however, you start getting into RJJ vs. B-Hop Part II territory.
At this point, I honestly think Mayweather-Canelo could do similar numbers to a Pacquiao fight. Now if Manny demolishes Rios as expected and gets some revenge against Bradley and/or JMM then that all could change. As it stands right now, I think financially Floyd would do well to look at Canelo and perhaps Sergio Martinez as his 2014 opponents. While Guerrero was a game, but outclassed opponent, I don't think the final numbers are going to look too good and Showtime obviously won't like that. They're going to demand higher profile opposition and while Manny fits that bill, there's still the Top Rank thing...

Old 05-09-2013, 02:30 PM

322 posts, read 445,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetroof View Post
Mayweather is known for avoiding fighters until they are over the hill

Do you have an example to dispel that?
What do you consider over the hill? Jose Luis Castillo was only 28 when he fought Floyd. Diego Corrales was undefeated (33-0) and only 24 when they fought. He only moved to welterweight in late 2005. By the time that happened Mosley's stock had already dipped from losing 2 in a row to Vernon Forest and then 2 in a row to Winky Wright. By that time De la Hoya was fighting between super Welterweight and middleweight; surely you didn't expect Floyd's first fight outside of lightweight to go up against a 154 lb De la Hoya. So who exactly did he duck?

Who did you want to see him fight at junior welterweight, Kostya Tzyu? Ricky Hatton made his whole career off of whipping Tzyu and you saw what Floyd did to Hatton. Let's not act like any of these other guys were fighting big time competition on their way up. Shane Mosley didn't fight anyone until he beat De la Hoya in 2000; and that was his 35th pro fight. De la Hoya beat up an aging, smaller Pernell Whitaker and then an over the hill J.C. Chavez before he finally stepped up in class to fight Felix Trinidad (Oscar's 32nd fight). So let's not get it twisted, Floyd isn't doing anything that any of the other modern greats haven't done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing