U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,536,502 times

Advertisements

I recently read where Floyd Mayweather said that he is a greater fighter than Sugar Ray Robinson. This is where I draw the line. What are your opinions on this?

Sugar Ray Robinson fought for 25 years, from 1940 to 1965. 200 fights, 173 wins. He knocked out 108 of his opponents. During that span, there eight years where he fought more than 10 or more fights within the year. 1941-20 fights, 1942-14 fights, 1946-16 fights, 1947-10 fights, 1949-13 fights, 1950-20 fights, 1951-11 fights, 1963, when he was 42 years old, he fought 10 fights. He faced some incredibly tough fighters too, some real beasts, and most of the time he fought them more than once. He fought Gene Fullmer twice, Paul Pender twice, Carmen Basilio twice, tough Ralph Tiger Jones, rugged Rocky Graziano, Joey Maxim, Randy Turpin twice, Jake LaMotta five times, Kid Gavilan twice, Fritizie Zivic twice. When fighters wouldn't go near Jake LaMotta, Sugar Ray fought him twice within 12 days. Tough LaMotta beat him the first time, then 12 days later, Robinson beat him in the rematch. They would go on to face one another three more times before it was over. In 1963, at 42 years of age, Ray lost a UD fo Joey Giardello in Philly. Paranoid of elevators, Ray walked up and down 12 floors for the weigh-in on the day of the fight. There may never be another fighter like this incredible man in this sport. I don't think Mayweather comes close.

Floyd missed his chance to be considered. He couldn't even face Pacman once. Can't imagine him facing Manny five times, twice within a span of two weeks or even a year. He could've faced Mosley when Shane was in his prime, and done it more than once, but he didn't. He could've fought Zab Judah more than once, since Judah presented problems for Floyd, but he didn't. He could've fought Cotto when Cotto was in his prime and fought him more than once, but he didn't. He did fight Jose Luis Castillo twice. Maybe he should've fought him two more times. He didn't give Diego Corrales a rematch. He should've fought him three times to be considered. Acelino Freitas was available for two or three fight matchups. Joel Casamayor, the same. Oscar DLH was a three-fight matchup. Floyd missed his chance to be considered as great as Sugar Ray Robinson. How dare he make such a ridiculous comparison. Pure ignorance.

I also think Ray Leonard was greater. He faced Duran, a beast, and lost. He beat Duran on the rematch, fighting him three times in all. He faced Hearns and was damn near blinded before scoring that KO. He fought Hearns twice. He beat Hagler, a monster. He beat the great Benitez by outboxing him and slugging him to defeat. Pacman was akin to Leonard's Duran, and Mayweather passed. Pacman was akin to Sugar Ray's LaMotta, and Mayweather passed. End of story.

I don't know where Mayweather will fall among the all-time greats, but to me, he will always fall below Sugar Ray Robinson and Ray Leonard. He missed his chance, and despite making all that money, he lacks the class, the dignity, and the greatness of fighters like Robinson and Leonard. Hall of fame fighter yes, but his shortcomings are too severe to overlook IMO, when matched up against a fighter like the great Sugar Ray Robinson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 05:46 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,193,004 times
Guys like mayweather are the biggest draw and the biggest detriment to boxing today.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:53 AM

634 posts, read 824,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I recently read where Floyd Mayweather said that he is a greater fighter than Sugar Ray Robinson. This is where I draw the line. What are your opinions on this?
I draw the line there as well. Sugar Ray Robinson was without a doubt, the greatest fighter/boxer there ever was. You would have to go all the way back to 525 AD in the Shaolin Temple to maybe find a fighter as good.

Floyd saying that is just him being stupid. I think he knows that Robinson was the greatest ever, he's just trying to cause some type of controvesy.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM

735 posts, read 950,456 times
He's never been a great fighter. Do you honestly think he could beat Bernard Hopkins in his prime? Now that is a great fighter.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:02 PM

756 posts, read 615,558 times

Can't wait to see Pretty Boy back in action in May...

44-0-0

Old 02-19-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader8 View Post

Can't wait to see Pretty Boy back in action in May...

44-0-0
What legitimately great boxer in their prime did he fight?

Old 02-19-2013, 01:51 PM

SIX World Titles

FIVE different weight classes

"The Ghost" will soon be next to disappear...

44-0-0

Old 02-19-2013, 01:58 PM

Against who?

Old 02-19-2013, 02:04 PM

1,623 posts, read 4,332,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
I draw the line there as well. Sugar Ray Robinson was without a doubt, the greatest fighter/boxer there ever was. You would have to go all the way back to 525 AD in the Shaolin Temple to maybe find a fighter as good.

Floyd saying that is just him being stupid. I think he knows that Robinson was the greatest ever, he's just trying to cause some type of controvesy.
I've always thought that the fighters today are better athletes because of superior training methods, new equipment, better video, better nutrition, not fighting as often, more cross-training, etc. Old school boxers are rarely cut like they are today.

If you magically dropped Floyd into the 1950's, I'd think he'd dominate. If you magically took Sugar Ray Robinson in the 2010's, I don't think he'd be that competitive.

If you magically took a young pre-teen Sugar Ray Robinson and put him in modern training methods, I suspect he'd be awesome when he got to his mid-20's.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
Against who?

Whoever was in front of him in the ring

If you're having difficulty recognizing Pretty Boy's skill and class at this point, you should probably start following another sport...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing