U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 11:37 AM

21 posts, read 57,655 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about buying a Wavemaster standup boxing bag, but I'm new at this. What kind of boxing gloves would I have to get and what size? I'm 5'7.5 and weight no more than 130lbs. Do they sell anything to protect this bag from the rain since it will be outside? What kind of boxing gloves would I have to get? I see they have a lot of options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 05:10 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,093,146 times
Boxing gloves alone are not enough. You need to buy wraps to protect your hands. Personally, I would get 16 oz gloves to train with.

The best bags are the ones that hang from a support beam.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:35 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,050,983 times
I have the original Wavemaster and have been using it for a couple weeks now. It is not like a heavy bag by any means, but provides a good workout for cardio. As Del Boy said, it's good to get wraps, even though it's not a heavy bag. Also, it's beneficial to use wraps to help keep the bones in place which will benefit in the long run when building bone density.

Be careful though...if you use gloves that do not protect the middle knuckles of your hand (punching bag gloves or mma gloves), most likely they will split or scrape if you haven't hit the bag in a while. Mine did and it was a pain in the rear waiting for it to heal.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 AM

28,276 posts, read 26,292,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothman09 View Post
I'm thinking about buying a Wavemaster standup boxing bag, but I'm new at this. What kind of boxing gloves would I have to get and what size? I'm 5'7.5 and weight no more than 130lbs. Do they sell anything to protect this bag from the rain since it will be outside? What kind of boxing gloves would I have to get? I see they have a lot of options.
Have you considered joining a gym? The montly fees are usually very cheap. It's good to work with a coach to learn basic combinations and footwork before moving onto bag work, imo. So much of boxing is about fitness, too, and it's good to have someone forcing you to do sit ups, forcing you to do rounds of shadowboxing, etc. Boxing is not like basketball where it's easy to motivate yourself to do it, imo. It's a real grind, but the grind is a necessary component of the sport.

I've never used a Wavemaster, but it looks too flimsy to provide the resistance you need to develop true punching power. If you have the space and ability (and means) to install a real heavy bag, I would exercise that option. But again, before doing that, I would check out a gym for a week or two and learn how to throw basic punches.

If there's anything worth buying, I think it's a speed bag.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 AM

28,276 posts, read 26,292,241 times
Puttin' in that work.

mike tyson showing his power on the heavy bag - YouTube

Old 04-06-2013, 06:40 AM

10 posts, read 10,506 times
Boxing is a very fast paced game and your opponent will habitually know how to get a fast one past your protecting against. therefore you need to be alert and be adept to foresee his next move. For that shadow boxing is renowned to be one of the best boxing exercises for beginners to get you begun.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:23 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,527,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaanhayden View Post
Boxing is a very fast paced game and your opponent will habitually know how to get a fast one past your protecting against. therefore you need to be alert and be adept to foresee his next move. For that shadow boxing is renowned to be one of the best boxing exercises for beginners to get you begun.
If he is just boxing for fitness, all he needs is some handwraps and bag gloves, and a fitness boxing routine from YouTube. If he wants to compete, he will want to go to a boxing gym. Actually, now that I think about it, he should join a gym with a trainer either way to learn the proper stance, balance and the proper way to throw punches so that he will get the maximum fitness benefits of boxing, as well as minimizing damage to his hands. The bag would just supplement his training at home.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:07 AM

10 posts, read 10,506 times
yes i agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing