U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 02:33 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,536,502 times

Advertisements

I was surprised to hear Toney speak in this clip. He really has some serious problems now with his speech noticeably slurred. I guess that despite his great defense, as he's aged, has taken too many serious shots. I hope he retires before we see him stretched out cold while fighting the likes of that pathetic Tyson Fury.

James Toney: If I Fought Kimbo It would Lead To Criminal Charges - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 10:52 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,521,298 times
Toney's speech has been slurred for quite a while now. I haven't understood a word he has said for years. He should have retired years ago.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:49 PM

1,483 posts, read 2,915,214 times
James Toney was one my favorites along with Winky Wright. I hate seeing this, but the cold hard truth is that this is the reality of Boxing.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:43 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,521,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
James Toney was one my favorites along with Winky Wright. I hate seeing this, but the cold hard truth is that this is the reality of Boxing.
I agree, Toney is one of my faves also, a very skilled offensive and defensive fighter, but people seem to ignore the fact that multiple head trauma occurs in this sport constantly, during fights and training. Staying in this sport too long is going to cause negative effects to anyone, even good defensive fighters. We are seeing the long term effects in football players as well, and they suffer nowhere near the head trauma boxers do.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:02 AM

363 posts, read 585,733 times
Are you kidding me, look how many football players are shooting themselves in the head. Most boxers do not suffer as much as Toney because Toney is a guy who does alot of hard sparring on a daily basis and fights with his hands down. Lots of guys take huge head shots and have no problem and some people slur speech over time. For all I know Toney speaks this way because he is uneducated rather than too many punches in the head. You think only boxers slur speech lots of guys slur speech and stutter. There are thousands of boxers, naturally some of them are going to slur speech or get diseases to the head and brain. Holyfield got plenty of punches he doesn't stutter or slur speech

Old 06-24-2013, 01:31 AM

2,597 posts, read 2,300,121 times
James Toney is the cold hard reality of being poorly educated. He has always sounded like he has a mouthful of marbles.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:02 AM

363 posts, read 585,733 times
LOL, there are plenty of lower class people from the hood, trailer park and barrio who I don't understand a word out of their mouth. Don't blame it on boxing. It just happens to be the case lots of those types end up in boxing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing