U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 08:02 PM

1,267 posts, read 2,495,583 times

Advertisements

The speed and accuracy of Mayweather's jab is just ridicules. Canelo should have waited a year or so in order to fight more speed fighters and develop his footwork before being Mayweather's final foe.

Somehow I want Austin Trout to fight Mayweather, or at least another speed fighter. I don't want another puncher to face Floyd, it just ends up being the same story. Canelo wanted to box with Floyd but even with decent accuracy and head movement he is still a boxer puncher at heart.

Right now Floyd is comfortable in the 147-154 lbs range. I don't see Danny Garcia ( 140lbs) moving up, it would just slow him down. Sergio Martinez sits comfortably in the 160lbs, he won't drop down. Although these two guys are fast fighters, they belong to their respective weight classes. Danny Garcia might have a chance, but he needs to get more experience fighting counterpunchers.

Austin Trout has the stamina, and he is good at keeping a jab out of his face. Although I give the advantage to Floyd, it would make an interesting speed vs counterpuncher fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 09:36 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,079,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
The speed and accuracy of Mayweather's jab is just ridicules. Canelo should have waited a year or so in order to fight more speed fighters and develop his footwork before being Mayweather's final foe.

Somehow I want Austin Trout to fight Mayweather, or at least another speed fighter. I don't want another puncher to face Floyd, it just ends up being the same story. Canelo wanted to box with Floyd but even with decent accuracy and head movement he is still a boxer puncher at heart.

Right now Floyd is comfortable in the 147-154 lbs range. I don't see Danny Garcia ( 140lbs) moving up, it would just slow him down. Sergio Martinez sits comfortably in the 160lbs, he won't drop down. Although these two guys are fast fighters, they belong to their respective weight classes. Danny Garcia might have a chance, but he needs to get more experience fighting counterpunchers.

Austin Trout has the stamina, and he is good at keeping a jab out of his face. Although I give the advantage to Floyd, it would make an interesting speed vs counterpuncher fight.
You can forget Mayweather ever fighting Garcia, Broner, or Pacquiao...all too dangerous. He already said he won't fight Broner or Manny, so it's clear he isn't looking for a challenge. If he wasn't going to fight guys like Cotto, Manny, Margarito, and Mosley when they were in their respective primes, he isn't going to fight any of today's prime fighters in his advancing years. Alvarez was a glorified version of JCC Jr., nothing special.

Mayweather will likely take on the glass-jawed Amir Khan next, providing Khan can win over Alexander. It's a big money fight, especially if Floyd agrees to fight in England, which he's been hinting as of late. I doubt he'll ever fight Bradley because there isn't any money in it and it would be one of the most boring fights ever. I can see him fighting Alexander since he likes to come forward and he has very little punching power. He might also consider Alvarado, he's a title holder and a scrappy boxer/puncher, but smaller and slower. Ideal opponent for Floyd and the risk vs. reward factor works in his favor.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:33 PM

326 posts, read 459,367 times
I actually think Amir Khan would do pretty well in a Mayweather fight. AK may have a glass jaw but he's also one of the fastest, most technically skilled fighters in the sport today.

Mayweather's last true knockout(unless you're counting Ortiz) was all the way back in '07 against Ricky Hatton. Provided AK can keep from getting KO'd, I think he'd probably fight a better fight than Guerrero or even Canelo.

Don't get me wrong though, AK has a horrible chin. He looks pretty weight drained fighting at 140 and perhaps that is part of the reason.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:05 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,535,905 times
I got a strong feeling that HBO is pushing the Pac/Rios fight so hard is because they are hoping to get MP back into the limelight to eventually force a PBF vs MP brawl-

Both boxers could (and probably will) retire after that one

Other than that, I don't see anyone who would even be a threat to PBF, let alone a big moneymaker-

Adrien Broner is one right cross away from no longer being PBF's little brother, that joker spends more time on stage or in the club than he does in the gym, no way is he a credible threat to anybody

Old 09-30-2013, 12:41 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,079,129 times
I once half-heartedly joked that Floyd's next opponent would be Paulie Spadafora, but it looks as though Spadafora is posturing himself for a shot. He's supposed to fight for a vacant belt at welterweight and if he wins he will be a champion. With his undefeated record, the claims out there that he got the best of Mayweather during a sparring session a decade ago, and his lack of punching power, don't be surprised if he actually gets a shot at Floyd.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,535,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I once half-heartedly joked that Floyd's next opponent would be Paulie Spadafora, but it looks as though Spadafora is posturing himself for a shot. He's supposed to fight for a vacant belt at welterweight and if he wins he will be a champion. With his undefeated record, the claims out there that he got the best of Mayweather during a sparring session a decade ago, and his lack of punching power, don't be surprised if he actually gets a shot at Floyd.

Doesn't that almost sound like the script from the boxing movie "great white hype" lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or