U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 09:40 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,008,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post
Well, I've never set foot into a boxing ring before so I will gladly admit that you've probably forgotten more about boxing than I'll ever know. That being said, I think that Mikey Garcia would beg to differ with your point of view on this. Although to be fair, I do agree with your point that he should abandon any plans to stay at 126 and move up to 130.

The boxing and mainstream media billed this match-up was billed as the next logical fight for both fighters. Everyone was amped up to see this one. But of course after everyone saw Floyd beat the stuffing out of JMM folks want to start talking about how JMM was the much smaller guy and didn't belong in the same ring as Floyd. Show me where people were saying this BEFORE the fight. With Floyd, the haters only talk about this stuff AFTER he beats his opponent. Look at it this way, if Floyd didn't take this fight, I'm 100% sure JMM would have been just another name on the list of fighters that Floyd has supposedly ducked.

Funny you should mention this but continue to overlook the coincidental loss of Manny's KO power after being called out by Mayweather's camp on his alleged PED use. Before Mayweather v. Pacquiao fight negotiations; 4 stoppages in his 4 fights since moving up from super featherweight (against some impressive names I might add). Since the failed negotiations and being called out for PED use 0 stoppages, 1 robbery (courtesy of the judges at the Tim Bradley fight) and 1 power nap (courtesy of a JMM counter right-hook). However, since I have no proof either way... I'll just continue to consider this a strange set of circumstances
Mikey Garcia weighed in at 142 on fight night, which tells me he had to lose at least 16 pounds just to make weight for the fight. That's a lot of weight for that weight class. Even at higher classes like Super-middle it's a lot of weight. He had no business fighting at 126. Even 130 is pushing it.

Actually, people were criticizing Floyd for signing with JMM. Floyd himself addressed the critics immediately after the fight. But fans reluctantly accepted it because they thought it would lead to a potential match up with Manny. Everyone knew Floyd would blow through JMM. Regardless, JMM was not the same fighter when he fought Floyd compared to when he fought Manny the last time out. While no one can prove JMM was juiced, all you have to do is look at him and the difference in his physique. Then, consider that under ideal circumstances you can gain that sort of muscle mass in six months, but NOT while you are cardio training for a fight and burning over 5,000 calories per day. At his age, your body just can't recover in time to put that kind of mass on while burning all of those calories in such a short time span. If he were ten years younger perhaps.

I didn't see a loss of punching power on Manny's part. His KO percentage may have dropped but he still had power. In his loss to JMM he dropped him, broke his nose, and was on his way to a TKO stoppage before getting caught with a perfect right hand by JMM. That's boxing, things can change in one punch. I'm sure Floyd breathed a huge sigh of relief when Manny lost, but I'm sure he would have found a way not to fight him regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 12:20 PM

519 posts, read 503,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
While no one can prove JMM was juiced
'Nuff said. Just like nobody could prove that Manny was juicing, that all that needs to be said.

Quote:
I'm sure Floyd breathed a huge sigh of relief when Manny lost, but I'm sure he would have found a way not to fight him regardless.
Sigh of relief? I'm sure that he didn't. Had a good laugh is probably more likely.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 06-23-2013, 09:49 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,536,502 times
Floyd picked Alvarez because he knows that he can beat him. Alvarez has a puncher's chance against Floyd, but this depends on him having the ability to hit Floyd with a punch Floyd doesn't see. Possible, but not likely. I haven't thus far seen any evidence that Alvarez is a crafty fighter, who throws punches in a a deceptive way. His combinations are easy to gauge. Floyd an exceptionally defensive fighter these days, protecting that undefeated record and very careful not to lose and jeopardize his lucrative contract with Showtime.

If there is an argument that Floyd ducked Pacman, this would be it. Pacman is both a pressure fighter and unpredictable with his combinations. Pacman also carried a great deal of power with his shots, so the likelihood that he might catch Floyd was high, and because of Pacman's power, Floyd risked getting knocked out. Pacman may never be the same after he was knocked cold, so we'll never know. Had Floyd felt that Pacman was a sure-win, he would've signed up to fight him.

Castillo came close to beating Floyd by applying constant pressure. Duran was good at this as well. The thing about Duran was that he hit from a variety of angles while applying pressure. He fainted a lot and was deceptive with his shots. Duran was an extremely gifted fighter and ferocious. Even Leonard couldn't beat him when they first fought. He derailed Leonard and this type of fighter would derail Floyd too. I don't think Alvarez is that type of fighter. He's not a pressure fighter and he's not deceptive. Floyd knows this so it's easy work for him. He's not sticking his neck out in taking this fight, although it may appear that way to the less-trained eye.

Judah gave Floyd problems too. He was just as fast as Floyd, crafty, just as athletic. He was elusive and deceptive. Floyd had trouble with him until Judah ran out of gas and lost focus. Had Judah been better conditioned and remained focused, he could've beaten Floyd in a decision. It was the first time I saw Floyd outboxed.

Even washed up Mosley caught Floyd with a shot and hurt him. It was a deceptive shot, one Floyd didn't see, and couldn't anticipate coming. Thank God for Floyd that Mosley was not much younger. This is how to take out Floyd. I don't see Alvarez as being this talented.

Cotto was a presure fighter, but too predictable. He was also a shot fighter when Floyd fought him.
Guerrero was too cautious of a pressure fighter and too predictable.
Ortiz was a cautious pressure fighter but predictable.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:56 AM

363 posts, read 585,733 times
Mayweather will dance away from Canelo, power means alot when you can catch and hit a guy but with a guy like floyd who can run for 12 rounds even in his old age, he doesn't have the problem other boxers do of becoming unfit. Throw in that these are short guys, its alot easier to cut the ring off on a guy who is 6'3 and 220 trying to dance away than cutting off on a 5'7 150 pound guy. This will look more like the hatton or ward fight, Canelo will be embarassed badly. If Canelo hangs out on the ropes again he will get knocked out

Old 08-06-2013, 01:05 AM

13 posts, read 11,324 times
Default -Respect-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Absolutely..This will be a spectacular fight.
I -absolutely RESPECT- "Gil3" for his WORD. YES, Floyd has stepped up his GAME, here. THIS IS A TRULY BIG BIG FIGHT NOW!

Old 08-06-2013, 01:18 AM

13 posts, read 11,324 times
Default Interesting perspective, but .. I can tell writer day dreaming, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by del boy View Post
this is a good fight. There could be some issues with the fight being at a catchweight of 152 lbs, considering alvarez is a very big 154 lb fighter, but if he says he can make it, he should be able to make the weight and fight comfortably.

I'm not sure how this fight will play out because i'm not sure how alvarez will approach mayweather. He may try to make him lead like he did trout, but mayweather, while smaller than trout, is more skilled and accurate with his punches.

Honestly, i don't think mayweather will chase alvarez around the ring like trout did because he won't give into the pressure of the crowd, and would likely box his way to victory by fighting cautiously and rarely throwing more than 1 or 2 punches.

I don't think alvarez can beat mayweather in this sort of match, but it would definitely benefit him to switch from being a boxer puncher, to coming forward and attacking mayweather's body.

I'm not sure why either fighter committed to this fight. It doesn't make much sense from a financial perspective because both of them can make money without fighting one another. If alvarez is truly not ready for mayweather, which he may not be, and losing in embarrassing, one sided fashion, he may not have the confidence to have a prosperous career in the future.

However, if alvarez manages to beat mayweather in dramatic fashion, he could easily set up a rematch or challenge guys like alvarado who are huge for 140 lbs and the angulo vs lara winner, which i think will surpisingly be angulo.

Anyway, i don't think alvarez is ready for mayweather and i see mayweather winning a competitive, but clear decision.

The only guy in my opinion that can hang with mayweather is pacquaio. Only pacquaio has the speed, power, and explosiveness to land on mayweather...if manny is the same fighter he was before the ko.
-t-

Old 08-09-2013, 10:33 AM

6,307 posts, read 6,096,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
'Nuff said. Just like nobody could prove that Manny was juicing, that all that needs to be said
Difference is that JMM did not come up with silly excuses to not take random blood tests like Manny did when he said he was afraid of needles, needed weeks in advance to be told when he was going to be tested instead of having RANDOM blood tests, said he was nervous with blood, a nurse might hurt his arm if she doesnít do it right, he gets weakened if he does that and cannot train properly, etc. and the long list of silly contradicting excuses came up. Really raised eyebrows.

What I donít get is how PacFanBoys were totally insulted and got a heart attack when Floyd asked for random blood tests. But then came JMM and totally destroyed annihilated Manny and now all of a sudden PacFanBoys started to demand random blood tests. Come on people, make up your mind.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Difference is that JMM did not come up with silly excuses to not take random blood tests like Manny did when he said he was afraid of needles, needed weeks in advance to be told when he was going to be tested instead of having RANDOM blood tests, said he was nervous with blood, a nurse might hurt his arm if she doesnít do it right, he gets weakened if he does that and cannot train properly, etc. and the long list of silly contradicting excuses came up. Really raised eyebrows.

What I donít get is how PacFanBoys were totally insulted and got a heart attack when Floyd asked for random blood tests. But then came JMM and totally destroyed annihilated Manny and now all of a sudden PacFanBoys started to demand random blood tests. Come on people, make up your mind.
You still beating that same tired drum? It's been discussed and debated ad nauseum. Here's the cliff notes. Manny agreed to the testing during second round of negotiations, Floyd went silent. Then, when negotiations started up again, Floyd prices himself out of the fight to avoid him again. The end.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:24 PM

6,307 posts, read 6,096,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
You still beating that same tired drum? It's been discussed and debated ad nauseum. Here's the cliff notes. Manny agreed to the testing during second round of negotiations, Floyd went silent. Then, when negotiations started up again, Floyd prices himself out of the fight to avoid him again. The end.
Whenever Manny agrees Bob Arum steps in to say they won't let themselves "be bullied" by Floyd blah blah blah. Just doesn't seem to end.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Whenever Manny agrees Bob Arum steps in to say they won't let themselves "be bullied" by Floyd blah blah blah. Just doesn't seem to end.
Well, Floyd recently went on record to declare he will never fight Manny. He insists that the fight is not important and that Manny blew his chance. How arrogant is that? How come Floyd fans don't find it the least bit peculiar that Floyd has gone out of his way to avoid this one opponent who everyone wants to see him fight? Not that he hasn't ducked opponents in the past, but it is so obvious that he is scared to fight Manny and he pulls out one excuse after the other. If Manny was such an easy win for him he would have fought him a long time ago.

He said he wants to go out big in his last five fights. So Alvarez is one, who are the other four going to be? A washed up overrated Martinez? A glass jawed Khan? Alexander who has no punching power? Bradley, a guy who was given a gift over Manny? Are these the fights fans really want to see?

Sorry, there's not blaming Arum for this one. Floyd has repeatedly ducked dangerous fighters in his career and has gone out of his way to avoid Manny on several counts. The best thing that can happen for boxing is if he loses to Alvarez, which will force him to reconsider his legacy and make the fight that everyone wants to see.

Seeing how Alvarez fights with his face out in front of him and has had stamina issues in previous fights, I'm guessing Floyd will dance his way to a decision victory with pot-shots from the outside while making a run for it. He'll pull a Sugar Ray Leonard in this one and attempt to steal the rounds in the closing seconds with pitty-pat flurries. At least Leonard never ducked anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or