U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 08:31 AM

79 posts, read 340,194 times

Advertisements

I woke up today and saw the news that Mayweather won. I'm not shocked or surprised and everyone is saying the fight was boring. Good I didn't give in to the hype and waste my money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 08:56 AM

573 posts, read 877,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post
Yeah, so boring that it sold out in one hour, broke the all time gate record, all time boxing purse record, and the most attended weigh in for boxing ever. We're not even talking about Danny Garcia vs. Lucas Matthysse.....
Like I said. What a boring fight.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:06 AM

9,224 posts, read 15,939,217 times
God that was a boring night of fights.

Never another boxing PPV for me.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Watching this fight, it was obvious that Floyd could beat Canelo seven days out of the week and twice on Sundays.

Good win for Mayweather, a masterful performance, as usual. I enjoy watching him work, and appreciate the fact that he comes to every fight prepared. Kudos to Canelo as well. He came in much heavier than Floyd in an attempt to get an advantage, but he soon learned that if you don't have the talent to beat Floyd, the extra weight won't help.
Floyd is a good fighter but I'm sick of him fighting these nobodies. Canelo has never fought anybody worth a damn other than a 42 year old Mosley. Austin trout was undefeated and I guess decent but that's about it for canelo. Manny pacquiao did lose badly and got knocked out on December 8th just 4 days after a devastating typhoon killed hundreds of people in his home country. I can't say for sure that he was affected mentally by hundreds of people dying in his country just days earlier but I would think that it could have played a part in his loss. Pacquiao easily beat Bradley so I'm not going to get into that. My point is I'm not sure anyone can beat maywether but if there is one person on this planet who I think can give him a run for his money, its manny pacquiao. Can anybody tell me a guy that would be more difficult for maywether than pacquiao?

Old 09-15-2013, 10:44 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,916,968 times
The fights were definitely NOT boring. For the main event, early in the fight Canelo did a fine job of boxing Floyd's body but he started aiming for the face more after the 5th. After the fight, Floyd admitted canelo's body work was paying some dividen...of course, not enough to change the outcome...but at least present a better outcome. Either way, I hope Floyd follows his current path of fighting legit boxers. Garcia, SMartinez or even Lucas?

Old 09-15-2013, 10:49 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,018,108 times
The fight pretty much played out how I thought it would. Neither guy really committing to an offense, Canelo exhausted by round ten, Floyd using his jab effectively and getting it a solid right hand from time to time. Canelo trying to work the body from too great a distance. I had Floyd 8 rounds to 4, even with the last round where he chose to run for three minutes. For me it was another overhyped match-up and didn't live up the the per-fight hype. I kept waiting for something to happen but the fight just didn't deliver for me.

The judge that scored it a draw needs to have her license revoked. She is one of the judges who scored the Pacquiao/Bradley fight for Bradley. She is obviously incompetent or corrupt. As much as I dislike Floyd I would not want to see him get robbed of a well deserved win.
Something has to be done about these judges.

I have to say I was impressed by Danny Garcia's performance. He thoroughly outboxed and dominated Matthysse.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:53 AM

519 posts, read 504,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
Manny pacquiao did lose badly and got knocked out on December 8th just 4 days after a devastating typhoon killed hundreds of people in his home country. I can't say for sure that he was affected mentally by hundreds of people dying in his country just days earlier but I would think that it could have played a part in his loss.
That's quite a reach...However, if Typhoon Pablo affected him to such a degree that it caused him to get knocked out , then Congressman Pacquiao should've postponed the fight much like Andre Berto did after the Haitian earthquake.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
That's quite a reach...However, if Typhoon Pablo affected him to such a degree that it caused him to get knocked out , then Congressman Pacquiao should've postponed the fight much like Andre Berto did after the Haitian earthquake.
It really doesn't matter does it. Who do you think would be the most difficult opponent for mayweather. Cause I have seen all the guys fight that are on mayweathers radar and none stand a chance at all.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:39 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,545,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
Floyd is a good fighter but I'm sick of him fighting these nobodies. Canelo has never fought anybody worth a damn other than a 42 year old Mosley. Austin trout was undefeated and I guess decent but that's about it for canelo. Manny pacquiao did lose badly and got knocked out on December 8th just 4 days after a devastating typhoon killed hundreds of people in his home country. I can't say for sure that he was affected mentally by hundreds of people dying in his country just days earlier but I would think that it could have played a part in his loss. Pacquiao easily beat Bradley so I'm not going to get into that. My point is I'm not sure anyone can beat maywether but if there is one person on this planet who I think can give him a run for his money, its manny pacquiao. Can anybody tell me a guy that would be more difficult for maywether than pacquiao?
He's a great fighter. Canelo was considered a legitimate threat until Floyd beat him. Canelo even made sure he came in 15 pounds heavier to boost his chances. I'd like to see Floyd retire undefeated. Whatever he does, there will always be those who are not satisfied until he does more. If he fights Garcia, he will beat him, then everyone will claim that Garcia is a nobody. if he fights Pacman and beats him, then everyone will say that Pacman was washed up. I appreciated watching him take apart Canelo. It was a great fight to watch from a technical standpoint. He really neutralized Canelo's strength, at times standing there toe-to-toe outboxing him. It was an incredible display of hand-to-hand combat, at its finest.

Pacman really is the subject of another thread. This one's about Mayweather-Canelo. I don't think Pacman could beat Floyd. Floyd just too good as THIS fight showed.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:42 PM

50,659 posts, read 26,726,952 times
I didn't think it was boring at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or