U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 06:08 PM

573 posts, read 877,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
He's a great fighter. Canelo was considered a legitimate threat until Floyd beat him. Canelo even made sure he came in 15 pounds heavier to boost his chances. I'd like to see Floyd retire undefeated. Whatever he does, there will always be those who are not satisfied until he does more. If he fights Garcia, he will beat him, then everyone will claim that Garcia is a nobody. if he fights Pacman and beats him, then everyone will say that Pacman was washed up. I appreciated watching him take apart Canelo. It was a great fight to watch from a technical standpoint. He really neutralized Canelo's strength, at times standing there toe-to-toe outboxing him. It was an incredible display of hand-to-hand combat, at its finest.

Pacman really is the subject of another thread. This one's about Mayweather-Canelo. I don't think Pacman could beat Floyd. Floyd just too good as THIS fight showed.
I don't think Garcia is that good. Floyd is the best. He should retire if he won't fight pacquiao and he would likely win that fight but at this point there is nobody else that stands a chance of beating Floyd and he might as well retire because these extremely one sided fights are not worth the fans time or Floyd's time. I saw the fight yesterday and Floyd embarrassed canelo and it really is not that entertaining IMO to watch Floyd dominate every fight. If you thought that canelo was a legitimate threat than you must not know anything at all about Floyd mayweather skills and speed. I'm a former boxer so maybe I see things more than the average fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 06:25 PM

8,260 posts, read 9,558,967 times
Floyd Mayweather is a Great fighter. He'll go down as one of the greatest fighters ever, but I'm the only one who finds most of his fights incrediblely boring? l like knockout artist, guys like Tyson in his youth before Robin Givens and Don King screwed his head up.

Mike Tyson Knockouts Collection - YouTube

Old 09-16-2013, 08:55 AM

293 posts, read 212,744 times
Figured Pretty Boy would be razor sharp for this one after that Guerrero tune-up a few months ago

The fact that, at age 36, he can so thoroughly dominate a much younger man is a testament to his remarkable conditioning and immense skill.

CLEARLY one of the greatest boxers that I've ever seen...

Old 09-16-2013, 09:49 AM

322 posts, read 445,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Floyd Mayweather is a Great fighter. He'll go down as one of the greatest fighters ever, but I'm the only one who finds most of his fights incrediblely boring? l like knockout artist, guys like Tyson in his youth before Robin Givens and Don King screwed his head up.

Mike Tyson Knockouts Collection - YouTube
Here's the thing. If you truly enjoy boxing then you understand that it's not all about standing in the middle of the ring and slugging it out in order to see who is left standing. That's not what boxing is supposed to be about.

Part of Floyd's greatness is that he's about the best technician that's out there today. If plan A isn't working then he goes to plan B better than anyone I've seen. More so than not his opponents are the ones who have to make the adjustment and Nobody's been able to do it yet. Granted, I haven't seen Sugar Ray Robinson or many of the other all-time greats fight but I've seen fighter's like Leonard, De la Hoya and Whitaker and I would consider Floyd a better technician than any of those guys.

Stepping into the ring to chase guys down and try to overwhelm them with power shots isn't what Floyd does best, so why should he do it? It wouldn't make sense. Instead he uses is speed, quickness and defense to beat guys to the punch and outbox people. Believe me, I can see how that would turn people off but if I were Floyd and that's what my skill-set dictated that I do then I'd be doing it to. People say that he likes to run for 12 rounds but on Saturday night he was constantly moving against Alvarez for at least the first 5-6 rounds but nobody will give him credit for that. He'll just get blasted for sticking and moving in the 12th round after the fight was in the bag (btw most intelligent fighters tend to do that). Why risk going out like Taylor did against Chavez?

All I'm saying is that if the sport of boxing is about hit and not get hit then Floyd is the best at that. If you want to see your boxers stand in the middle of the ring and bang round after round then I definitely recommend that you don't buy any of Floyds pay-per-view bouts. I certanly wouldn't blame you because personally I don't purchase any of them. Why bother spending that kind of money? I already know who's going to win, I'm just not totally sure how he's going to do it. If family and friends aren't biting either then I don't mind waiting an extra week to check it out on showtime to see how he got the job done.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:22 PM

50,631 posts, read 26,718,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post
Here's the thing. If you truly enjoy boxing then you understand that it's not all about standing in the middle of the ring and slugging it out in order to see who is left standing. That's not what boxing is supposed to be about.

Part of Floyd's greatness is that he's about the best technician that's out there today. If plan A isn't working then he goes to plan B better than anyone I've seen. More so than not his opponents are the ones who have to make the adjustment and Nobody's been able to do it yet. Granted, I haven't seen Sugar Ray Robinson or many of the other all-time greats fight but I've seen fighter's like Leonard, De la Hoya and Whitaker and I would consider Floyd a better technician than any of those guys.

Stepping into the ring to chase guys down and try to overwhelm them with power shots isn't what Floyd does best, so why should he do it? It wouldn't make sense. Instead he uses is speed, quickness and defense to beat guys to the punch and outbox people. Believe me, I can see how that would turn people off but if I were Floyd and that's what my skill-set dictated that I do then I'd be doing it to. People say that he likes to run for 12 rounds but on Saturday night he was constantly moving against Alvarez for at least the first 5-6 rounds but nobody will give him credit for that. He'll just get blasted for sticking and moving in the 12th round after the fight was in the bag (btw most intelligent fighters tend to do that). Why risk going out like Taylor did against Chavez?

All I'm saying is that if the sport of boxing is about hit and not get hit then Floyd is the best at that. If you want to see your boxers stand in the middle of the ring and bang round after round then I definitely recommend that you don't buy any of Floyds pay-per-view bouts. I certanly wouldn't blame you because personally I don't purchase any of them. Why bother spending that kind of money? I already know who's going to win, I'm just not totally sure how he's going to do it. If family and friends aren't biting either then I don't mind waiting an extra week to check it out on showtime to see how he got the job done.
Yep. It's not called the Sweet Science for nothing. There is an actual strategy to boxing for crying out loud.

For those that want Floyd to leave the game looking like Arturo Gatti...forget it. It's not gonna happen.

Unfortunately, people (especially Mexican fight fans) are getting 'spoiled' by these ring wars where guys are trying to beat each other's brains out in the middle of the ring. If that's what folks want, then let's propose a new sport where we put leg cuffs on boxers and then we cuff those cuffs to the floor of the ring center and watch the guys brutalize each other until one of them dies.

The Canelo/Floyd fight was not boring in any fashion...it was a brilliant display from a man who SHOULD be on the downside of his career outpointing a younger foe and putting on a clinic while doing it. You're watching greatness. I doubt any of us are old enough to have seen Sugar Ray Robinson in his prime, and it leaves you feeling a void when the old timers tell you how and why he's the G.O.A.T.

Well, you're getting a chance to witness firsthand a guy who we'll all be talking about in 30 years in the same way. Appreciate it and stop complaining. Preternaturally talented guys like Money May only come around a few times in a lifetime.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:45 PM

983 posts, read 1,366,017 times
How one of the judges called it a tie is frankly beyond me.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:59 PM

50,631 posts, read 26,718,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
How one of the judges called it a tie is frankly beyond me.
Helen Keller got reincarnated for a day, apparently.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:34 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,916,621 times
i agree that floyd is the best ever...against select opponents. if floyd fought all comers, he would have a loss and then be titled the best ever. after a decade, mayweather finally selected a risky opponent. more to come...i hope!

Old 09-17-2013, 02:07 PM

8,260 posts, read 9,558,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post

Which is why boxing is dying, and the UFC has surpassed. Outside of a Mayweather fight, most casual fans don't care about boxing. Name the last great Heavyweight? People can talk about the "sweet science" all they want, but if you want to grow your fan base, you have to have more exciting fights(i.e two guys going at it.)

Old 09-17-2013, 06:19 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,016,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Which is why boxing is dying, and the UFC has surpassed. Outside of a Mayweather fight, most casual fans don't care about boxing. Name the last great Heavyweight? People can talk about the "sweet science" all they want, but if you want to grow your fan base, you have to have more exciting fights(i.e two guys going at it.)
That's why UFC filters make a fraction of what boxers make right? Boxing isn't going anywhere any time soon. With or without Mayweaer it will continue to thrive. Each sport has its own fan base with some crossover. UFC has its fans and boxing has its own. I can recall just as many dull UFC fights as dull Mayweather fights.

Calling yourself a tactician fine. I appreciate boxing skill more than anything. I appreciate a boxer who demonstrates effective defense too, but why can't we have both? I define greatness differently I suppose. Greatness is taking on all opponents regardless of how dangerous they are and while they are still in their respective primes. It's defeating them with a balance of offense and defense. Ultimately you should have more offense than defense. The greats don't pad their records or protect their records with selective opposition. Floyd once went on record to say that the three greatest P4P fighters of all time are 1. Floyd Mayweather (yes he spoke of himself in the third person) 2. Sugar Ray Robinson 3. Muhammad Ali. What is most pathetic is that many of his fans actually believe this dribble.Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or