U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-18-2013, 12:39 AM
 
50,764 posts, read 26,790,111 times
Reputation: 15908

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Which is why boxing is dying, and the UFC has surpassed. Outside of a Mayweather fight, most casual fans don't care about boxing. Name the last great Heavyweight? People can talk about the "sweet science" all they want, but if you want to grow your fan base, you have to have more exciting fights(i.e two guys going at it.)
UFC hasn't surpassed boxing. Not even close. That's a dream....not reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-18-2013, 10:26 AM
 
322 posts, read 446,349 times
Reputation: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Which is why boxing is dying, and the UFC has surpassed. Outside of a Mayweather fight, most casual fans don't care about boxing. Name the last great Heavyweight? People can talk about the "sweet science" all they want, but if you want to grow your fan base, you have to have more exciting fights(i.e two guys going at it.)
In what ways has the UFC surpassed boxing? I used to be addicted to watching the UFC about 4-5 yrs ago but now I have a hard time sitting down for more than 10 mins. to watch it. The main reason is that they have no interesting fighters anymore. The UFC was great when they had marketable stars who made me want to watch. But besides John Jones, what new talent has the UFC developed in the past several years? The UFC has zero new talent in the pipeline (that I'm aware of) which is why they keep trotting out journeymen fighters like Chael Sonnen for their main-event title fights. That's not a good recipe for success.

I've been listening to people trying to convince me that the UFC has surpassed boxing for so long and I can't understand why. I'm not stupid, I realize that boxing has many problems of its own. But UFC die-hards must be blind to the issues affecting their favorite sport if they think that it is destroying boxing. Let me know when the UFC comes up with a cross-over star like Tyson, De la Hoya, Mayweather or Pacquiao. The UFC tried to create hype for Lesnar...didn't work, he's gone. They tried to make Kimbo Slice a household name...didn't work, he's gone. Rampage tried to get some mainstream attention...not really working for him either. In other words my wife (a non-sports fan) has no clue who John Jones is or St. Pierre or Anderson Silva; but she knows who some of the top boxers are.

I'll start to believe that the UFC is surpassing boxing when they can sell out arenas on a regular basis. Case in point, UFC 162: Silva (at the time UFC's top P4P fighter) vs. Wideman held at the MGM Grand Garden Center. The capacity for that arena is 16,000 but UFC 162 sold less than 13,000 tickets. Mayweather vs. Alvarez; same arena SOLD OUT. Since Mayweather fights tend to skew the results I'll give you another example. UFC 156: Aldo vs. Edgar at Mandalay Bay sold 10,275 of 12,000 available tickets (not bad I suppose). Amir Khan vs. Marcos Maidana (we're not talking Pacquiao, Klitschko or Mayweather here) also at the Mandalay Bay...SOLD OUT. These are just 2 examples btw, there are many more. If UFC's best fighters can't sell out arenas, explain to me how the UFC is burying boxing???

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy watching the UFC at times. But they are going to be spinning their wheels for a little while until they are able to develop some new and exciting talent. And even then they'll have a lot of work ahead of them before they can proclaim boxing is dead.

Last edited by EHCT; 09-18-2013 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: Punctuation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2013, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,224 posts, read 15,950,640 times
Reputation: 5488
There is more talent in the UFC today, then ever. I'll agree that the UFC doesn't have the "star power" that boxing does with PBF. However, the UFC doesn't prop up their fighters with 44-0 records while fighting once a year. In the UFC the guys FIGHT: GSP fought Matt Hughes with only 7 fights, in boxing that fight wouldn't have happened until both had 35-40 fights. Chris Weidman had only 9 fights when he fought Anderson Silva.

UFC has great fights on each month... can you say the same for boxing? Shoot we still have the occasional KO or submission too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2013, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,369 posts, read 18,031,772 times
Reputation: 18407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
There is more talent in the UFC today, then ever. I'll agree that the UFC doesn't have the "star power" that boxing does with PBF. However, the UFC doesn't prop up their fighters with 44-0 records while fighting once a year. In the UFC the guys FIGHT: GSP fought Matt Hughes with only 7 fights, in boxing that fight wouldn't have happened until both had 35-40 fights. Chris Weidman had only 9 fights when he fought Anderson Silva.

UFC has great fights on each month... can you say the same for boxing? Shoot we still have the occasional KO or submission too.
The reason boxing doesn't have a guy with 50 fights competing against a guy with 9 fights is to avoid mismatches. Boxing is a more refined skill, and the further you move up the food chain, the more skilled and dangerous you become. Unless a boxer has a solid amatuer background, you won't see too many of these mismatches, aside from the fights that take place overseas, typically in Southeast Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2013, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,224 posts, read 15,950,640 times
Reputation: 5488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
The reason boxing doesn't have a guy with 50 fights competing against a guy with 9 fights is to avoid mismatches. Boxing is a more refined skill, and the further you move up the food chain, the more skilled and dangerous you become. Unless a boxer has a solid amatuer background, you won't see too many of these mismatches, aside from the fights that take place overseas, typically in Southeast Asia.
A guy going 40 wins without a loss tells me the sport still has many mismatches. In the UFC you don't spend your first 20 fights against cans.

Boxers are harvested and produced. UFC is still in a raw form. I prefer the latter.

Last edited by Mach50; 09-18-2013 at 03:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2013, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,369 posts, read 18,031,772 times
Reputation: 18407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
A guy going 40 wins without a loss tells me the sport still has many mismatches. In the UFC you don't spend your first 20 fights against cans.

Boxers are harvested and produced. UFC is still in a raw form. I prefer the latter.
The only reason there is a UFC is because those fighters didn't have what it takes to make it in boxing. That's why you never see any of the top UFC guys (or the washed up ones) trying to compete in boxing for more money. Dana White will never, ever let that truth come to light.

A guy with 40 wins and no losses in boxing can happen for any number of reasons. In some cases yes, they have matched their opponents to their advantage. But there are legit fighters who can go undefeated for that long. Marciano retired undefeated with a 49-0 record, Larry Holmes nearly broke that record until he fought Spinx. Both of these fighters fought everyone in the division that was put in front of them. Roy Jones Jr. didn't have his first loss until his 35th fight, and that was a DQ loss, otherwise he would have won 50 fights without a loss against some very dangerous opposition.

If you prefer MMA that's fine. But boxing is here to stay and it will always be a more refined science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2013, 09:35 AM
 
Location: :~)
1,483 posts, read 2,919,398 times
Reputation: 1519
Mach50, the issue that you have is not with Boxing but rather promoters. Promoters have ruined Boxers and have tainted Boxing. Take out that element, and Boxing is by far the best sport in the business.

I like MMA but on the flipside to Boxing, champions are made of paper because they lose at the drop of hat. Most important, I do not think MMA has better talent. Like MLB from deacdes ago, if I see limited African American participation then I think the talent pool is very limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2013, 09:41 AM
 
50,764 posts, read 26,790,111 times
Reputation: 15908
When the UFC or MMA (or whatever you wanna call that crap) is around for another century, get back to me.

Until then, don't try to pass it off as if it's just as big or important as boxing is. It isn't, and i doubt it'll ever be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2013, 12:02 AM
 
1,267 posts, read 2,482,662 times
Reputation: 1235
Why did this thread became a ufc vs boxing debate?

UFC invaders! Get the hell off my lawn!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2013, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,224 posts, read 15,950,640 times
Reputation: 5488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Why did this thread became a ufc vs boxing debate?

UFC invaders! Get the hell off my lawn!!!
Like we don't deal with the same thing over in the MMA forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top