U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 08:08 AM

326 posts, read 457,671 times

Advertisements

Well its a official, Mayweather and Alvarez will be fighting on Sept 14 at a catchweight of 152. Perhaps because of the low PPV numbers against Robert Guerrero, Mayweather decided to step up his game and make a fight people actually wanted to see.

I'm glad Mayweather it is fighting at a catchweight and not the ridiculous 147 that Mayweather was proposing.

Either way, I think Mayweather wins because of his superior boxing ability. Saul Alvarez still has some room to grow at just 22 years old but I think it will make an exciting fight nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 08:41 AM

2,756 posts, read 5,325,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post
Well its a official, Mayweather and Alvarez will be fighting on Sept 14 at a catchweight of 152. Perhaps because of the low PPV numbers against Robert Guerrero, Mayweather decided to step up his game and make a fight people actually wanted to see.

I'm glad Mayweather it is fighting at a catchweight and not the ridiculous 147 that Mayweather was proposing.

Either way, I think Mayweather wins because of his superior boxing ability. Saul Alvarez still has some room to grow at just 22 years old but I think it will make an exciting fight nonetheless.
Absolutely..This will be a spectacular fight.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:34 PM

6,315 posts, read 6,103,766 times
This is win/win for Canelo. If he gets the victory that will totally skyrocket him to the top. If he loses, he still has a long future in front of him (hes only 22!).

I see Mayweather has better defense, speed, height and reach advantage, better resume, etc. Canelo has more power and weight advantage.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:38 PM

293 posts, read 212,824 times
Should be fun watching Pretty Boy school this kid...

Old 05-31-2013, 12:52 PM

1,483 posts, read 2,918,112 times
Mayweather is finally fighting someone that is not over the hill and this guy might challenge him. I still don't think Canelo is the guy to beat him but at least Canelo is a step in the right direction. By the way, Canelo is known for a weak schedule until he fought Trout.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:32 PM

326 posts, read 457,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu Mike3 View Post
Should be fun watching Pretty Boy school this kid...
I agree. Although this is some of the biggest competition Mayweather has fought in some time, I saw Canelo against Trout and he clearly had issues with defensive fighters.

Alvarez has a hell of punch though. Mayweather came very close to getting dropped against an older Shane Mosley. He better not get cocky or he'll find himself on the wrong end of the canvas.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:58 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,091,958 times
This is a good fight. There could be some issues with the fight being at a catchweight of 152 lbs, considering Alvarez is a very big 154 lb fighter, but if he says he can make it, he should be able to make the weight and fight comfortably.

I'm not sure how this fight will play out because I'm not sure how Alvarez will approach Mayweather. He may try to make him lead like he did Trout, but Mayweather, while smaller than Trout, is more skilled and accurate with his punches.

Honestly, I don't think Mayweather will chase Alvarez around the ring like Trout did because he won't give into the pressure of the crowd, and would likely box his way to victory by fighting cautiously and rarely throwing more than 1 or 2 punches.

I don't think Alvarez can beat Mayweather in this sort of match, but it would definitely benefit him to switch from being a boxer puncher, to coming forward and attacking Mayweather's body.

I'm not sure why either fighter committed to this fight. It doesn't make much sense from a financial perspective because both of them can make money without fighting one another. If Alvarez is truly not ready for Mayweather, which he may not be, and losing in embarrassing, one sided fashion, he may not have the confidence to have a prosperous career in the future.

However, if Alvarez manages to beat Mayweather in dramatic fashion, he could easily set up a rematch or challenge guys like Alvarado who are huge for 140 lbs and the Angulo vs Lara winner, which I think will surpisingly be Angulo.

Anyway, I don't think Alvarez is ready for Mayweather and I see Mayweather winning a competitive, but clear decision.

The only guy in my opinion that can hang with Mayweather is Pacquaio. Only Pacquaio has the speed, power, and explosiveness to land on Mayweather...if Manny is the same fighter he was before the KO.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:48 AM

293 posts, read 212,824 times
This rookie should've stayed in the shallow end for a couple more years.

He'll drown against Pretty Boy.

Guerrero was a nice little tune-up for PB.

He'll be ready to deliver a peak performance in Sept.

By the way, Pacquiao was NEVER in PB's league, in my opinion...

Old 06-04-2013, 12:43 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,024,389 times
So much for Mayweather's criticism of fighting at catch weights...

Regardless, it's about time Floyd got his vagina out of his arse and stepped up to fight a dangerous opponent. I think his PR team is pressuring him to fight someone who isn't old, damaged goods, or smaller for a change.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:36 AM

519 posts, read 504,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
So much for Mayweather's criticism of fighting at catch weights...
Manny, the catch weight king, can do it all the time and still get mad props from his fanbois, so why not?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or