U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,534,754 times

Advertisements

I love the history of this sport and its controversies. One was that black bottle that Panama Lewis, Pryor's trainer, had Pryor drink from just before the 14th round in their first fight. When the bell sounded, Pryor leaped up and swarmed Arguello, eventually knocking him out that round. He seemed unusually "energized." Only water was allowed, but Pryor received something that was "mixed." I hated to see Arguello lose this way. He was one of my all-time favorite fighters and still is, and was a true gentleman outside of the ring. Pryor was given an unfair advantage after Lewis noticed in the corner that Pryor was fading, possibly behaving like a worn and beaten fighter. This tainted Pryor in my eyes too. What are your opinions about this?

Of Scandals and Controversies: Pryor, Arguello, and the Black Bottle | Bleacher Report
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 04:23 PM

519 posts, read 503,708 times
Unfortunately I didn't see this fight live as I wasn't even a teenager at the time and didn't appreciate boxing at the time. However, I've seen the clips on Youtube and elsewhere and read about the controversy. First, Panama Lewis is scum of the Earth. Second, he ain't too bright. If you're doing something illegal or even borderline sketchy, why even make mention of a "mixed" bottle? The claim of peppermint schnapps really doesn't pass the smell test. Obviously Panama Lewis isn't above cheating. Shame on the boxing commission for not collecting a post-fight urine sample. We'll just never know what was in that bottle nor will we know if Pryor was complicit before the fact. Just a travesty no matter how you slice it.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:14 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,007,122 times
Panama Lewis is a lowlife and belongs in prison. He was the one who pulled the stuffing out of Luis Resto's gloves in his fight against a guy named Collins. It caused permanent damage to Collins eye and ended his career. Eventually Collins turned to alcohol abuse and died in a car crash. In a documentary, Resto claimed that Lewis used a medication that is used to treat asthma in his water bottle and in that of Aaron Pryor. It opens up the lungs and allows the fighter to breath easier and rejuvenates them. He was also guilty of dipping fighters hands in plaster of paris prior to fights as well.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:49 PM

322 posts, read 445,447 times
Ah yes! I remember seeing that documentary as well. Resto seemed pretty apologetic about the whole no padding in his gloves thing during the filming of the documentary. The guy Resto fought looked very bad from the pictures I've seen taken after the fight. I believe Resto ended up serving jail time for assault regarding that incident too. Also if I remember correctly, Resto was trying to convince people that he wasn't aware of the asthma medication that Lewis put in his bottle until the later rounds of that fight. He didn't come off as very believable though.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:57 PM

363 posts, read 585,476 times
Pryor was a cheater and a doper. I believe it is quiet endemic and often these dopers get knocked down alot and get up quiet quickly. I notice the same thing with Gamboa. Clean boxers don't have weak legs and don't get knocked down over every little punch.

Yeah pepper snaps my white ass he had peds, the promoters knew what was up.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:20 PM

2,735 posts, read 3,266,765 times
One would think that after incidents such as Arguello/Pryor-I and Collins/Resto, the so-called sanctioning bodies would pay closer attention to details both before (e.g., inspect wraps, blood testing) and after (e.g., urinalysis) fights.

Sadly, details go unmonitored, resulting in fighters like antonio margarito (name purposely written in lower case letters) infusing his wraps with Plaster of Paris. This should have been a punishable offense worthy of a court hearing, and sentencing had he been found guilty. In addition, margarito should have been permanently banned from fighting anywhere in the USA.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:13 AM

363 posts, read 585,476 times
Margarito should have been banned and sent to jail for attempted murder assault.

There are mixed results on plaster in the gloves. Some test results show that it just turns to dust, and some show it actually can kill a man, it really depends.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:10 AM

2,735 posts, read 3,266,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramouchebluez View Post
Margarito should have been banned and sent to jail for attempted murder assault.

There are mixed results on plaster in the gloves. Some test results show that it just turns to dust, and some show it actually can kill a man, it really depends.
If there's any doubt as to what happens to "plaster in the gloves," then, at that point, it is best to err on the side of safety. One is then compelled to assume that the worse case scenario (i.e., that plaster can kill an man) has the highest probability of occurring.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:58 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,520,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I love the history of this sport and its controversies. One was that black bottle that Panama Lewis, Pryor's trainer, had Pryor drink from just before the 14th round in their first fight. When the bell sounded, Pryor leaped up and swarmed Arguello, eventually knocking him out that round. He seemed unusually "energized." Only water was allowed, but Pryor received something that was "mixed." I hated to see Arguello lose this way. He was one of my all-time favorite fighters and still is, and was a true gentleman outside of the ring. Pryor was given an unfair advantage after Lewis noticed in the corner that Pryor was fading, possibly behaving like a worn and beaten fighter. This tainted Pryor in my eyes too. What are your opinions about this?

Of Scandals and Controversies: Pryor, Arguello, and the Black Bottle | Bleacher Report
I will give Pryor the benefit of the doubt because nothing was ever proven. Remember, Pryor beat
Arguello in a similar fashion the second fight without Lewis in his corner. I know one thing, Alexis hit Pryor with a right hand in the 13th round that looked like it knocked Pryor's head back between his shoulder blades, and Pryor just laughed at him. That was one of the hardest punches I had ever seen that did not result in at least a knock down. There is nothing Lewis could have put in that bottle that would enable Pryor to take shots like that, unless it somehow magically turned his jaw into concrete. Arguello just didn't carry enough power at that wieght to hurt Pryor. I think it was a great boxing match and I take nothing from either of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or