U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 10:56 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,033,669 times

Advertisements

Impressive performance by Garcia. He's at the top of the 140 lb class, I'd like to see him move up and fight the winner of the Bradley/Marquez fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 05:33 PM

28,272 posts, read 26,292,241 times
Some are talking Mayweather-Garcia.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:12 PM

519 posts, read 504,913 times
It would make for an amusing pre-fight build up due to the volatile temperament of Angel Garcia. The arguments between he and Floyd Sr. would make for good All Access for Showtime. I can't see Danny Garcia really threatening Floyd. However, a lot of people have constantly underestimated Danny Garcia, myself included, and he continues to prove them wrong so who knows...

Old 09-15-2013, 09:04 PM

326 posts, read 457,968 times
I for one thought Danny Garcia was a goner in this fight but man was I proved wrong.

I couldn't believe how he kept on taking those monster shots flush on the chin and then when Matthysse's eye started to swell up, the entire course of the fight changed. Serious props to Danny Garcia.

I agree he should fight the winner of Bradley-Marquez. I don't think he's ready for Mayweather though.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Status: "Love, Goodness, and Kindness Will Prevail . . ." (set 3 days ago)

2,744 posts, read 3,275,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
However, a lot of people have constantly underestimated Danny Garcia, myself included, and he continues to prove them wrong.
My sentiments exactly. I too did not believe Danny Garcia could best Matthysse.

During the first few rounds, Garcia skillfully dodged several big KO punches. My invited guests and I collectively drew in big gulps of air each time Matthysse threw one of his signature KO punches. But, as the fight marched on, I witnessed Garcia "growing" into and setting the pace of the fight. His accuracy increased with each passing round. Seems like after Matthysse's right eye swelled, each punch Garcia landed was a bonus.

DG has gained his place and recognition in today's boxing scene. I will now lay my doubts aside. So, who will be next for him? Broner? Rios? Canelo? . . . Mayweather?

Old 09-16-2013, 07:24 AM

I think it's time for Broner to step it up, and Garcia would be an opponent for each of them that could answer a lot of questions. However, if Garcia looks "too good" in handling Broner, that can scare away the big fish in the pond. Plenty of good fights to be made with Garcia between 140-147.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:08 AM

322 posts, read 446,421 times
I don't think that Broner wants anything to do with Garcia; at least if he's smart he doesn't. Broner has all of the physical tools but he doesn't fight as intelligently as he should and he gets hit way more than he should. I've said in the past that I've even been guilty of not giving Garcia enough credit for being the boxer that he is. But this is one case where I have no qualms in proclaiming that Garcia would take care of Broner if the 2 happened to meet. I personally think that he would do it convincingly but wouldn't argue with anyone who thought otherwise. I just think that Garcia knows exactly what to do when he steps in the ring whereas Broner relies way too much on his physical gifts (which are enormous) and not enough on boxing technique. I'll be shocked if Broner and/or his handlers call Garcia out.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post
I don't think that Broner wants anything to do with Garcia; at least if he's smart he doesn't. Broner has all of the physical tools but he doesn't fight as intelligently as he should and he gets hit way more than he should. I've said in the past that I've even been guilty of not giving Garcia enough credit for being the boxer that he is. But this is one case where I have no qualms in proclaiming that Garcia would take care of Broner if the 2 happened to meet. I personally think that he would do it convincingly but wouldn't argue with anyone who thought otherwise. I just think that Garcia knows exactly what to do when he steps in the ring whereas Broner relies way too much on his physical gifts (which are enormous) and not enough on boxing technique. I'll be shocked if Broner and/or his handlers call Garcia out.
I have to agree with you. I think Broner will be content to play it safe and select opponents who are less refined and with little power. That doesn't leave much to fight at 140-147 though. Perhaps Alvarado or the winner of Khan/Alexander.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:59 PM

28,272 posts, read 26,292,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
My sentiments exactly. I too did not believe Danny Garcia could best Matthysse.

During the first few rounds, Garcia skillfully dodged several big KO punches. My invited guests and I collectively drew in big gulps of air each time Matthysse threw one of his signature KO punches. But, as the fight marched on, I witnessed Garcia "growing" into and setting the pace of the fight. His accuracy increased with each passing round. Seems like after Matthysse's right eye swelled, each punch Garcia landed was a bonus.

DG has gained his place and recognition in today's boxing scene. I will now lay my doubts aside. So, who will be next for him? Broner? Rios? Canelo? . . . Mayweather?
Being from Philly, I get really nervous when our fighters are in the ring. I was hoping that a promising career wouldn't come to a premature end much like Mike Jones's. I was reaaallly nervous when Matthyse caught him flush with that hook that knocked his mouthpiece into the crowd. I thought that one punch would be the one to shift the fight in Matthyse's favor.

But Danny stood tall. The fight would have been over had that been any other fighter in his weight class. I don't even think Floyd's jaw is that solid.

That said, I don't think he's ready for Mayweather. He's too fast and too smart. And that fight would give me a heartattack. But it would be nice to see a Philly boy bring Mayweather's streak to an end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or