Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 10:08 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,300,724 times

Advertisements

I believe that Canelo has the skillset, the size, and the style to beat Mayweather; however, I don't think his stamina is up to par.

It's no secret that Canelo has suspect stamina, but a recent interview he gave to ESPN Deportes, confirmed this for me when he said, "We sacrificed workrate for waist movement against Trout."

Mayweather is a precision fighter, so unless he comes out to fight similiar to how he did against Ortiz where he wasted punches, Canelo will not have to move as much as he did against Trout.

However, this also means Mayweather will likely dicate the pace, as Canelo will give him the opportunity to place his shots from the outside.

You can tell Canelo learned his craft from watching Julio Cesar Chavez, because he tends to patiently stock his opponent, on the outside, but close enough to make his opponents nervous, and then waste punches by landing them on his gloves.

If Canelo is accurate initially and continually finds the mark against Mayweather, he could force Mayweather into throwing more punches and opening himself up for counter punches, that Canelo will throw between his shots, but Mayweather's defense will make this a difficult task for the relatively inexperienced Canelo.

I expect Mayweather to win the majority of the opening rounds, by calmly boxing his foe, and throwing single shots, not giving Canelo a countering opportunity.

This will force Canelo to be more aggressive in the later rounds, but Mayweather will still be fresh, and Canelo's stamina will let him down, as he will fail to capitalize and win enough rounds to win the fight.

The fight will be competitive, but in the end, Mayweather's hand will be risen.

Hopefully, the Pacquaio fight can be made afterwards, assuming Pacquaio gets past Rios. While stylistically, Mayweather is at an advantage against Pacquaio, Pacquaio doesn't have the stamina problems that plagues Canelo, nor the lack of speed, explosiveness, and punching power of Guerrero.

Anyway, I expect a good fight regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 08:45 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Canelo weighed in today at a very lean 166.8 lbs, he still has about 15 to go in just 30 days. This means he will need to dry out water weight the day before the fight and it will indeed take a toll on his stamina. However, he signed for the fight at 152 knowing what he needs to do to get ready for the fight, so it's on him if he isn't ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing