Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 10:54 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,312 times

Advertisements

Along with the seemingly ageless Bernard Hopkins, last night had two other exciting LHW titlists on display: Adonis Stevenson and Sergey Kovalev. These two are some of the hardest punches fighting today, and a fight between any of these three could be the biggest bout above 168 in years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 11:47 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,635 times
adonis is definitely beatable with good foot movement. also that chin has not been tested, knockout artist are known for limited chins

Old 12-01-2013, 01:34 PM

519 posts, read 603,737 times
Stevenson said that he'd fight Kovalev if HBO ponied up the money, but he didn't sound too enthusiastic about it. He was more anxious to call out Carl Froch who looked very vulnerable and needed questionable refereeing to get by George Groves and 50 year old Bernard Hopkins, a fight that probably can't be made due to the Top Rank-Golden Boy cold war. Now *could* be an ideal time for Andre Ward to step up to 175 and try to clean things up if he can't get Chavez Jr. or Martinez in the ring at 168.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:07 PM

326 posts, read 529,146 times
I hope Andre Ward stays at 168 long enough to give GGG a shot. That has all the makings of an all action, money making fight.

Sergey Kovalev looks to be the real deal along with Stevenson at 175. Let's hope that fight gets made.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:10 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
If a Kovalev/Stevenson fight can be made I would like to see Ward fight the winner. If I never have to see Hopkins drag his boring carcass into the ring again I'll be more than happy. Now if someone can just convince Jones Jr to stop that would be great. He is fighting at Cruiserweight again and enough is enough.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
If I never have to see Hopkins drag his boring carcass into the ring again I'll be more than happy. Now if someone can just convince Jones Jr to stop that would be great. He is fighting at Cruiserweight again and enough is enough.
The thing about Hopkins though is he won his last 2 fights convincingly and outpointed Jean Pascal at the age of 46. He may not fight the most action packed fights at times but he's still making guys in their 20's look bad.

Imo, I want to see him fight one or two more times with actual marquee names and then hang up the gloves. I think the idea of a Floyd fight at 160 is a bit ridiculous but it's honestly a little tough to think of some good fights that could be made with Showtime fighters with this BS network cold war going on right now.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:28 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times
Kovalev is awesome. I'm an instant fan of his. I hope he smashes Adonis when it happens.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:02 AM

519 posts, read 603,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Kovalev is awesome. I'm an instant fan of his.
Well of course you are.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:22 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post
The thing about Hopkins though is he won his last 2 fights convincingly and outpointed Jean Pascal at the age of 46. He may not fight the most action packed fights at times but he's still making guys in their 20's look bad.

Imo, I want to see him fight one or two more times with actual marquee names and then hang up the gloves. I think the idea of a Floyd fight at 160 is a bit ridiculous but it's honestly a little tough to think of some good fights that could be made with Showtime fighters with this BS network cold war going on right now.
The fights he is beating now are not what I'd call seasoned boxers and certainly wouldn't stack up to the Lt. Heavys of previous decades. Hopkins spent the better part of his career hiding out at 160 while most of the talent of the 90's moved up to 168 and 175. He padded his record in order to beat Carlos Monzon's record, but he did it by fighting nobodies. With his height and frame he could have easily moved up in weight, but chose to make a name for himself against some very forgettable opponents. He continues to employ that same tactic today.

I too think a Floyd/Hopkins fight is not only ridiculous but entirely far fetched. Who really wants to see that?

Old 12-04-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
The fights he is beating now are not what I'd call seasoned boxers and certainly wouldn't stack up to the Lt. Heavys of previous decades. Hopkins spent the better part of his career hiding out at 160 while most of the talent of the 90's moved up to 168 and 175. He padded his record in order to beat Carlos Monzon's record, but he did it by fighting nobodies. With his height and frame he could have easily moved up in weight, but chose to make a name for himself against some very forgettable opponents. He continues to employ that same tactic today.

I too think a Floyd/Hopkins fight is not only ridiculous but entirely far fetched. Who really wants to see that?
Jean Pascal was not a nobody, neither was Kelly Kavlik, and neither was Chad Dawson. Even if Karo Murat isn't really a fighter to write home about at this point in his career, B-Hop still boxed circles around him the whole night as a 48 year old.

Just for comparison, Hopkin's contemporary Shane Mosley has been looking old for years and just suffered his first stoppage defeat as a 45 year old. Roy Jones has been past his prime for a while now, and Oscar De La Hoya retired years ago against Pacquaio.

I definitely want to see Hopkins step up the competition before he retires but it is simply amazing to see a 48 year old as one of the best light heavyweights in the world behind only Stevenson and Kovalev.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing