U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 10:21 PM

519 posts, read 506,140 times

Advertisements

Bradley puts on a boxing clinic in this fight. Bradley was working his jab and the right hand as well as moving and slipping all night long. I'm not sure how one judge found a way to score it for JMM. At the end of the night, Bradley's hand speed and footwork made JMM look every bit of 40 years old. I guess the question becomes where do each of these guys go from here. If JMM wants another big payday, his only choice now is to give Pacquiao his rematch at some point (assuming that Manny gets by Rios next month). For Bradley, the sky is the limit, but of course the $$$ is either Pacquiao (again assuming that he gets by Rios) or Floyd, but the whole Top Rank thing is a problem there so who knows. Maybe Broner if he survives Marcos Maidana...

Last edited by Evan702; 10-12-2013 at 10:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 03:35 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,583,167 times
Good win for Bradley. I'd like to see Floyd fight him.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:08 AM

Ditto! Highly doubtful to happen though unless Bradley ditches Bob Arum & Top Rank unfortunately.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:24 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,094,815 times
I wouldn't mind seeing Bradley against Floyd, but I'm not sure if he can do much to beat him. If Pacquaio managed to pick Bradley apart, what would Floyd do?

Granted, Pacquaio has more punching power and his southpaw style could have caused some problems, but Mayweather has a significant reach advantage and punches hard enough.

If Bradley tries to box Mayweather, Mayweather easily beats him, 12 to 0 and it's not even the least bit competitive because Bradley doesn't have a puncher's chance.

I think Bradley has a lot of heart, but he has to press Mayweather in this fight. He has to use his endurance and slip in low, get in close, and take the fight out of Mayweather.

He has to fight like the younger man. But if Mayweather can gain his respect right away with his power, similar to how he gained Marquez' respect with that left hook (although it wouldn't have mattered anyway), it's going to be a boring fight.

Honestly, I think guys that nobody thinks of like Kirkland or Angulo have a better shot than some of the better skilled guys if only because they have stamina and will to take punishment and keep coming to get off their own offense.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:00 PM

Kirkland, I dunno. That'd probably be a tough sell. He always to have issues outside of the ring. Plus, he had that rather odd and inexplicable knockout loss to Ishida. Not to mention that he was getting absolutely schooled by Carlos Molina until he was the beneficiary of a dubious disqualification. I'm curious to see how he looks in December.

Angulo just has no style or slickness whatsoever. He'd never be able to catch up to Floyd, or Bradley for that matter. All that he'd have is a puncher's chance. He'd keep coming forward and he'd keep getting tagged with jabs and straight rights all night.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:09 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,094,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
Kirkland, I dunno. That'd probably be a tough sell. He always to have issues outside of the ring. Plus, he had that rather odd and inexplicable knockout loss to Ishida. Not to mention that he was getting absolutely schooled by Carlos Molina until he was the beneficiary of a dubious disqualification. I'm curious to see how he looks in December.

Angulo just has no style or slickness whatsoever. He'd never be able to catch up to Floyd, or Bradley for that matter. All that he'd have is a puncher's chance. He'd keep coming forward and he'd keep getting tagged with jabs and straight rights all night.
Don't be so sure about Angulo. Remember, Angulo is a big fighter at the weight, and he managed to knockdown slick Gold medalist, Lara, twice and looked to be on his way to winning before he quit in the late rounds.

Also, I think Angulo continues to improve under Virgil Hunter. The way he switches between southpaw and orthodox is seemless at times. He's very good at cornering his opponents.

I think it would be a fan friendly fight against Mayweather who is no doubt, better than Lara, but not as big, and not the puncher he is.

And it's not like Lara isn't a good fighter.

I know Kirkland was knocked out by Ishida, and Mayweather might be able to do the same, but if he can take Mayweather's shots, he could make it interesting.

Molina did stink up that fight, but Kirkland looked off his game, like he seriously overtrained.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:39 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,054,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing Bradley against Floyd, but I'm not sure if he can do much to beat him. If Pacquaio managed to pick Bradley apart, what would Floyd do?

Granted, Pacquaio has more punching power and his southpaw style could have caused some problems, but Mayweather has a significant reach advantage and punches hard enough.

If Bradley tries to box Mayweather, Mayweather easily beats him, 12 to 0 and it's not even the least bit competitive because Bradley doesn't have a puncher's chance.

I think Bradley has a lot of heart, but he has to press Mayweather in this fight. He has to use his endurance and slip in low, get in close, and take the fight out of Mayweather.

He has to fight like the younger man. But if Mayweather can gain his respect right away with his power, similar to how he gained Marquez' respect with that left hook (although it wouldn't have mattered anyway), it's going to be a boring fight.

Honestly, I think guys that nobody thinks of like Kirkland or Angulo have a better shot than some of the better skilled guys if only because they have stamina and will to take punishment and keep coming to get off their own offense.
I think Bradley/Floyd can be made. Bradley has little to no punching power and he's not exactly an offensive dynamo. He likes to lead with his head, a perfect target for Floyd's jab and straight right hand. Honestly, I think it would be a very boring fight that has Floyd winning a UD. I think a Bradley/Garcia match would be more competitive and a good test for Garcia going up against a different style. Bradley is not a fan favorite and will have a tough time selling fights unless he can find an opponent who is a bigger draw. A rematch with Pac seems like the fight he should take next, providing Manny defeats Rios.

Kirkland is an interesting option, but he's too hot and cold. He doesn't seem to have the mental discipline to rise to the top. He often gets wild and sloppy. He needs some refinement. I would like to see Kirkland/Alvarez, I think that would be a very entertaining match up.

Angulo is rather one dimensional. He stands up straight and comes forward. He throws good combinations but I think he'd get eaten alive by any fighter with speed.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Don't be so sure about Angulo. Remember, Angulo is a big fighter at the weight, and he managed to knockdown slick Gold medalist, Lara, twice and looked to be on his way to winning before he quit in the late rounds.

Also, I think Angulo continues to improve under Virgil Hunter. The way he switches between southpaw and orthodox is seemless at times. He's very good at cornering his opponents.

I think it would be a fan friendly fight against Mayweather who is no doubt, better than Lara, but not as big, and not the puncher he is.

And it's not like Lara isn't a good fighter.

I know Kirkland was knocked out by Ishida, and Mayweather might be able to do the same, but if he can take Mayweather's shots, he could make it interesting.

Molina did stink up that fight, but Kirkland looked off his game, like he seriously overtrained.
Even with the two knockdowns, Angulo was down on two of the scorecards (though judging these days seems to be lost art). Lara was doing what he was supposed to do and boxing him nicely for most of the fight, but got caught with brutal left hooks a couple of times. Virgil Hunter is a wonderful trainer, but I doubt even he could get 'El Perro' to consistently trap Floyd in the corners and keep him there.

Kirkland could be dangerous, but isn't marketable at this point and doesn't necessarily have a signature win besides maybe stopping Angulo. He should've taken the fight against Canelo when he had the chance. Assuming he wins in December impressively, perhaps he should take a run at Cotto.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:51 PM

1,483 posts, read 2,923,254 times
i scored the fight a draw. For the first 6 rounds, I gave bradley 4 rounds...speed disparity was obvious. For the second half, I gave Marquez 4 rounds...marquez adjusted well, ultimately taking the lead. That last round,i gave to Bradley because of the punch and only because of the punch

Old 10-19-2013, 08:52 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,054,569 times
This was a very close fight. I had Bradley winning by a very narrow margin. He did a good job slipping many of Marquez's punches and countering effectively with speed, but the fight never seemed to go anywhere. This is part of the problem when you have two counter-punchers in the ring.

I really need to watch these fights with the sound turned off. Kellerman and Lampley's bias is so overwhelming it is almost sickening to listen to them call a fight. Especially Kellerman, he is disgraceful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing