U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 09:11 AM

326 posts, read 458,890 times

Advertisements

I think the title is pretty self explanatory.

With Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao, JMM, and Sergio Martinez all on their way out within the next couple of years or so, I think we will be seeing some big shake-ups in the P4P pretty soon. Which fighters do you think will be cracking the top ten P4P in the years to come?

I personally think Gennady Golovkin should already be there even though some call him untested. He has had something like 9-10 title defenses won by way of knockout over the past couple of years and it's not like he is avoiding anyone.

Likewise I think Mikey Garcia will be on that list soon enough along with Canelo Alvarez.

I am hesitant to mention Adrian Broner because of crazy antics and bad work ethic outside the ring but he definitely has the skills to be there in the future I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 09:47 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,924,966 times
Good question because the clues for P4P are not obvious.

Adrian has the skill but no discipline and I will question his chin and power until really challenged. With his current class of opponents, he showing no discipline so why should we expect more dedication with challenging opponents.

Wilder from the HW division?

My guess is Bradley given his opponents, record, skills and such.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:36 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,063,730 times
Future P4P candidates include:

Andre Ward - though he is a current P4P

Danny Garcia

Golovkin

Rigondeaux

Sadly I think Bradley and Broner will be on several P4P lists. If Bradley can get some convincing wins over the likes of Manny, Garcia, Cotto, or Mayweather then he has to be considered. Broner has agreed to fight Maidana which I think will be an interesting fight and a good test for Broner's endurance and chin.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:55 AM

832 posts, read 962,667 times
Adrien Broner.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:32 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,593,433 times
I haven't a clue. I don't think Broner will be among the greats. He's an idiot, no character, no substance. It's only a matter of time before he runs into a real hardcore fighter, who walks him down, and beats the hell out of him.

I think the P4P list will increasingly include non-Americans, and no American heavyweights.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:02 PM

1,267 posts, read 2,491,563 times
Well if all goes right for them

Canelo Alvarez of Mexicans and Mexican Americans

Danny Garcia for Puerto Ricans

Adrien Broner for Americans

I think all three are round 23-24

Old 12-09-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I haven't a clue. I don't think Broner will be among the greats. He's an idiot, no character, no substance. It's only a matter of time before he runs into a real hardcore fighter, who walks him down, and beats the hell out of him.

I think the P4P list will increasingly include non-Americans, and no American heavyweights.
Completely agree on Broner. I think he definitely has the skills to be a P4P fighter but his work ethic and outside the ring antics have prevented him from rising to what he could be.

As much as anyone wants to fault Mayweather for cherry picking his opposition at times, he has always demonstrated a terrific work ethic and dedication to the sport. As far as Mayweather is concerned for the P4P list, I think he takes a hit in my book if he takes the Khan fight over Pacquaio, Danny Garcia, Sergio Martinez, or any of the other 5 or so fights who are more deserving for a shot against the P4P king.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:36 AM

1,267 posts, read 2,491,563 times
I read a online article saying Pacquiao's contract with Top Rank expires in 2014.

Do you think he will move on to better things and do his own thing and maybe go with Golden Boy to get better fights? Or will he stay with Top Rank?

Why would he stay with Top Rank?

The only opponents that i can think for Pacquiao if he stays are the usuals, Marquez, Bradley, Rios, Alvarado, Provodnikiv(?)

While with Golden Boy there are MANY more opponents that he can choose from

There is also a higher chance that he can get the opportunity to with Floyd

Is there any incentive that will make give stay with Top Rank?

Old 12-14-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I read a online article saying Pacquiao's contract with Top Rank expires in 2014.

Do you think he will move on to better things and do his own thing and maybe go with Golden Boy to get better fights? Or will he stay with Top Rank?
It boggles the mind why Pacquaio signed the 2 year extension with Top Rank in 2012 when clearly all the big money fights for him are with Golden Boy.

At the very least, he should have gone the route of Miguel Cotto and be his own promoter so he can do business with TR and GB.

This boxing cold war is ridiculous...

Old 12-14-2013, 09:50 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,008,152 times
Broner ... yikes ...

I'm agreeing with all the people saying he needs to drop down to 140 for a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or