U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 08:25 PM

322 posts, read 445,996 times

Advertisements

I sat and watched the Mike Perez and Magomed Abdusalamov fight on HBO this past Saturday night and was astonished that both fighters remained standing throughout the contest. It was probably the best heavyweight fight I had seen in a while. After the final bell you could clearly see that Abdusalamov absorbed most of the punishment. His face was severely swollen and looked as if he had sustained multiple fractures. That being said I was still surprised to read the USA TODAY story that he had lapsed into a coma and had to undergo brain surgery Sunday night. I sincerely hope that he makes it through ok and that there is no permanent/life altering damage. The last update that I read was that he was still in a medically induced coma.

I'm certainly not trying to cast blame for what Abdusalamov is going through. I know that there has always been a fine line between allowing the fighters room to display heart and courage. I also realize that boxers know what they're signing up for when they choose prize fighting as their career path. It just seems that boxers are sometimes put in no-win situations. I've seen boxers take extraordinary punishment and take themselves out of a fight when they're corner chooses not to throw in the towel for them--only to hear guys like Max Kellerman question their heart and lament that they may not be built for a sport that demands fighters to be carried out on their shield. It's obvious that it's better for fighters to live to fight another day but I've seen guys like Victor Ortiz get chastised for choosing not to continue as he did against Maidana. Luckily Ortiz was able to rebound but I believe that many guys take risks that they shouldn't because of outside pressures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 04:41 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,022,288 times
I watched this fight. Very good fight and both of them endured a lot of hard shots. I hope he makes a full recovery. He had a promising future ahead of him.

I agree about the likes of Kellerman and his ilk. In fact it is so bad that I now turn the sound off any time he is talking, which is always. He is so biased and so unfair in his commentary I don't know how his counterparts tolerate him. I can tell Roy Jones isn't very fond of him, seems to be a little tension between them.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:10 PM

326 posts, read 457,671 times
Abdusalamov's corner should have stopped that fight.

Twice he asked his corner if he was injured. At the end of the fight I told my wife it looked like he had a concussion. He was stumbling around and his face was swollen.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:18 PM

1,483 posts, read 2,917,725 times
Default true

yeah i remember thinking why is this guy preoccupied with cosmetics. in reality, he knew the injury was significant. The corner should have recognized the out of character questions or eager concern with his nose.

i hope that he recovers.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:17 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,394,400 times
According to NY Daily News he had a stroke while in a coma and is on life support
Boxer Magomed Abdusalamov on life support after suffering stroke while in coma - NY Daily News
Hope he pulls through.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:11 PM

519 posts, read 504,215 times
Anyone who wants to make a donation to help support Abdusalamov and his family can do so here: Ring 10 | Helping Retired Boxers Through The Toughest Fight of Their Lives

I believe the site says that donations are tax deductible as well.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:09 PM

16,468 posts, read 16,575,669 times
Magomed was complaining of pain in his head after the fight. But, WTH, the docs did not order him taken in an ambulance to the hospital, HUH???????

I know combat sports have a lot of risk to them. I just don't understand how there is a system in place.......supposedly with it sole purpose being to protect the fighters, and it fails at so many different points?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or