Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2013, 11:31 PM

519 posts, read 603,918 times

Advertisements

Impressive comeback fight tonight for Andre Ward after a 14 month layoff. He dominated Edwin Rodriguez in every facet of the bout. He laid some serious wood to Rodriguez and the only way that he stayed on his feet is by sheer force of will and the fact that he was the bigger man. He's beaten everyone of note at super middleweight. Although there's been talk of a rematch with Carl Froch, I don't see the point. Froch simply isn't on Ward's level. There's been talk of Golovkin, but he isn't ready although it'd still be an interesting match to watch. The only thing really left for him to do is to go up to 175 though I don't know how many serious fights are there for him either. Hopkins wants no part of him probably because the risk is too great and the money isn't there. Adonis Stevenson would be compelling but he's mainly on the map due to ONE punch against Chad Dawson. He did look impressive against Tavoris Cloud I must say. There's also Kovalev who is starting to generate some noise, but I'd need to see more of him to form an opinion.

Ward may be his own worst enemy. He looks so good that it's hard to find anyone who's worthy of being put on TV to legitimately challenge him. Perhaps he should've been born a welter or super welterweight...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 10:27 AM

326 posts, read 529,279 times
I think Golovkin might have the skills to fight at Ward's level. He certainly has the power.

One thing that GGG has over Ward right now is time. If he keeps on cleaning out the middleweight division like he is and stays at 160 I think the big fights will come to him.

I believe fight fans will eventually see a Ward/GGG matchup because both fighters have expressed interest and it would sell well.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:23 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,398 times
Edwin poorly planned for the fight. Bum rushing the #2 P4P is silly and shortsighted.

I hope that he goes up in weight for Light HW.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:41 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
I don't see anyone beating Ward at 168 or 175. GGG has not fought anyone in the same caliber as Ward's pervious opponents and Hopkins is still cherry picking no talent ham-and-eggers to pad his record and further his legacy. Right now a rematch with Froch is the only interesting prospect at 168. At 175 there's Stevenson and that's about it. I wouldn't mind seeing Ward put a beat down on Chavez Jr just for the humiliation factor. The super middleweight division is drying up and Lt. Heavy is a joke.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Right now a rematch with Froch is the only interesting prospect at 168.
You think that fight would be compelling? Sure Froch talks a good game, but Ward decisively beat him the first go-round. Didn't destroy him, but clearly beat him. IMO Ward has gotten better since then and Froch is more or less the same guy. I think Ward wins via referee stoppage him in a rematch.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind seeing Ward put a beat down on Chavez Jr just for the humiliation factor.
Ditto, but Chavev Jr's handlers are WAY too smart to let him get anywhere near Ward. Too bad because the Chavez name would earn Andre a decent payday.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:00 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
I don't really see Froch having a chance to beat him but there's no one else out there. Maybe if a fight can be made between the winner of a potential Golovkin/Quillin match at 165. Otherwise Ward is a fighter without an opponent, going down as the Larry Holmes of the 168 division.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:04 AM

320 posts, read 539,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
Ditto, but Chavev Jr's handlers are WAY too smart to let him get anywhere near Ward. Too bad because the Chavez name would earn Andre a decent payday.
Totally agree with both of you guys. I would also like to see Chavez Jr. get in the ring with Ward. But I doubt Chavez Jr's people would dare to even let him set foot in the same zipcode as Ward. It would be a decent payday though.

The only people that I can see who even deserve to be in the same ring as Ward are GGG and Stevenson. I really want him to blast Stevenson who I feel thinks he's far better than he actually is. As much as I like GGG, I don't think he's ready to face Ward just yet. I just don't see anyone out there who can beat him unless he comes out flat and someone catches him on a really bad night. The problem with that is he just doesn't strike me as the type of fighter that would under estimate an opponent to that degree.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post
Totally agree with both of you guys. I would also like to see Chavez Jr. get in the ring with Ward. But I doubt Chavez Jr's people would dare to even let him set foot in the same zipcode as Ward. It would be a decent payday though.

The only people that I can see who even deserve to be in the same ring as Ward are GGG and Stevenson. I really want him to blast Stevenson who I feel thinks he's far better than he actually is. As much as I like GGG, I don't think he's ready to face Ward just yet. I just don't see anyone out there who can beat him unless he comes out flat and someone catches him on a really bad night. The problem with that is he just doesn't strike me as the type of fighter that would under estimate an opponent to that degree.
Agreed. GGG needs more seasoning. Give him 2-3 more fights and it'll be compelling to see him in the ring against Ward.

While he wants a chance to beat the hell out of Chavez, even Ward acknowledges how unlikely it is: Andre Ward: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr and Bernard Hopkins only 'now' PPV options - Bad Left Hook

Old 11-19-2013, 08:28 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,058 times
At 168, I don't there is anyone that can beat Ward.

I'm not sure where the fight would take place, but I believe Ward's inside game is too much for GGG to handle. I think Ward would use his excellent jab to get inside, and control the fight by backing GGG up and roughhousing him.

At 175, Kovalev's size and output could cause Ward some problems, but I believe Ward's speed and superior boxing ability would allow him to cruise to a victory. However, it's possible Kovalev could knock Ward down in route to a likely decision loss.

I think the biggest threat to Ward is Stevenson. The guy has reach, power, and a slick southpaw style. He's not as fast as Ward, but the angles and the reach will make it very difficult for Ward to implement a game plan.

Guys like Pacquaio and Martinez, (yes I know they are southpaws, but often fight Orthadox fighters) have success, not only due to their skill, but because of their power, which enables them to hurt bigger men.

That's the one thing I feel Ward lacks a little in. That could cost him against a guy like Stevenson because if he can't hurt him, it's going to be a very rough fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing