U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Money vs Pacman
Yes 6 33.33%
No 12 66.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 05:05 PM

326 posts, read 457,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
Really? What exactly were the numbers? How much more money was he able to keep?
From what I understand, Pacquaio got his $18 million purse tax free. In the US, there is a 30% withholding tax right off the top.

I don't know how any of that affects his tax situation in the Philippines though. Most countries in the world tax you on what you make in the country. The US is a bit of an enigma in that it lays a tax on worldwide income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 08:06 PM

519 posts, read 504,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post
From what I understand, Pacquaio got his $18 million purse tax free. In the US, there is a 30% withholding tax right off the top.

I don't know how any of that affects his tax situation in the Philippines though. Most countries in the world tax you on what you make in the country. The US is a bit of an enigma in that it lays a tax on worldwide income.
Yes, it's tax free in China, but he still has to pay the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) in the Philippines where the highest individual marginal tax rate is 32% from what I've seen. They do tax foreign income of their residents. They apparently don't double tax their residents on foreign income of countries that they've signed a tax treaty with and the United States is one such country. So if he paid the IRS here then he has to provide official documentation to prove that. Pacquiao and his team have apparently been negligent in providing that official documentation, for whatever reason, to the BIR for two years.

Bureau of Internal Revenue Website
International taxation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-07-2013, 10:11 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,024,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
Did I say that? Use the weak straw men on somebody that doesn't know any better.

Yet another one of your ridiculous assertions and a seriously faulty attempt at correlation.

Really? What exactly were the numbers? How much more money was he able to keep?

Oh, you have a crystal ball now? So since you apparently want to play at being a soothsayer, go ahead and put it on the record: Who will Manny fight next?

Marquez seems content with his KO victory over Pacquaio. Bob Arum claims JMM is set financially and he seems to have moved on. There were so many rematches previously because the results were controversial and disputed. The last fight ended decisively and as such Marquez has indicated that he sees no reason for yet another rematch. Like it or not, there's logic to his reasoning. Even though he would like to make the fight, Arum himself has even questioned how Marquez can do any better in a rematch than what he's already done.

Excuses, excuses. It sold very well. Period.

And yet it did significantly better than Pacquiao-Rios. The Cotto and Ortiz matches also did good business. I'm sure there's also an excuse for that though.

Then it should be an easy fight to make, right? Let's see if it actually materializes...

I'm not aware of any official announcement of a Mayweather-Khan fight...But, for the sake of argument that'd be just like how Rios lost power and speed moving up in weight, right? Hell, why isn't Manny fighting Martinez? They both are on HBO so in theory that'd be an easier fight to get made.
Keep dodging my questions the same way Floyd dodges opponents. Your answer to my questions is typically a non-answer, just like a Floyd press conference.

By the way, Rios had to lose weight in order to fight Manny and still walked into the ring nine pounds heavier, so he didn't lose power. For the first time in his career he was fighting at the weight closest to his walking around weight.

Expect Floyd's future opponents to look more like Khan, Malignaggi, Brook, Porter, or Molina...not Garcia, Bradley, or Pacquiao. But of course boxing needs a flash over substance fighter for each generation in order to lure in the casual fight fan who doesn't know any better. Mediocrity and flash is the order of the day...the same Floydites are the Bieber fans (ahem), Kanye fans, and Vin Diesel fans. Yet somehow Floyd feels he is "greater" than Robinson and Ali.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Keep dodging my questions the same way Floyd dodges opponents. Your answer to my questions is typically a non-answer, just like a Floyd press conference.
Sorry if my opinions are over your head.

Quote:
By the way, Rios had to lose weight in order to fight Manny and still walked into the ring nine pounds heavier, so he didn't lose power. For the first time in his career he was fighting at the weight closest to his walking around weight.
Khan just said tonight on Showtime that he walks around at 155, so if that's the metric that you wanna use, there's another one of your weak talking points right out the window.

As for the rest of your usual gibberish, consider it deposited right where it belongs:

Old 12-08-2013, 07:37 AM

Way to dodge it Floyd, I mean Evan.

Khan's power at 140 against smaller fighters will be negated at 147. Simple physics. Floyd will take a 147 Khan over a 150 Martinez who also offered an 80/20 split in his favor. He's come up with endless excuses not to fight anyone who posed a legitimate threat to his "0"...Manny, Broner, Freitas, Casamayor, Martinez, prime Mosley, Johnston, prime Cotto, Margarito (who he turned down $8 million to fight...would have been his largest payday, in fact he actually paid close to a million Not to fight Margarito), Paul Williams, not to mention the so called retirement to conveniently allow them all to soften one another up.
Attached Thumbnails
Poll: Will Mayweather-Pacquiao ever happen?-image.jpg  

Old 12-09-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post

Rios' power at 140 against smaller fighters will be negated at 147. Simple physics. Manny will take a 147 Rios over a 150 Martinez
Once again, FTFY

Old 12-10-2013, 04:16 PM

Well, it is now obvious who is ducking who. Camp Mayweather now says that although Manny is the number one contender for the title, he is undeserving because his last victory over Rios was a "comedy act". That's right, Manny thoroughly dominates Rios, yet Floyd chooses Khan as his next opponent. In case anyone is wondering, Khan's last two wins came over Julio Diaz and Carlos Molina. Two very narrow wins I might add. Prior to that he was KO'd by Garcia in four and lost to Peterson. Yet somehow they choose to trivialize Manny's victory over Rios while touting he should beat Guerreo first...as if Guerrero was any better. The whole thing is laughable. At least now the world knows who is ducking who. Just when I thought they couldn't come up with any more lame excuses.

Y! SPORTS

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/52899...m#.UqehLcu9KK0

Old 12-10-2013, 10:25 PM

326 posts, read 457,671 times
Default Mayweather is a punk

Based on Mayweather's comments today re:Pacquaio, I have no doubt he is the reason they have not fought as of this date.

Manny Pacquaio is the only 8 division world champion in boxing, period. He has an exciting style and is one of the only fighters in the sport able to draw a PPV audience.

There is not a single fighter in the sport more deserving of a Mayweather shot than Pacquaio and he is going to take Amir Khan over Pacman????

I'm over it man. I will never stop watching Mayweather fights as long as he is on top but he has lost some serious respect in my eyes as a fighter. I know with one phone call he could make this fight in 15 mins if he wanted to. Mayweather is a punk.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:54 PM

115 posts, read 118,969 times
Pacquiao isn't in Pretty Boy's league. Never was

There simply isn't anyone out there right now who can beat PB.

He's still just too good...

Old 12-11-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investor Five View Post
Pacquiao isn't in Pretty Boy's league. Never was

There simply isn't anyone out there right now who can beat PB.

He's still just too good...
But Khan is more deserving? If Manny was such an easy fight he would have fought him already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or