U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 09:42 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,522,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
All I've seen is a website speculating what Alex Ariza was using in Maidana's corner and whether or not it was smelling salts between rounds. Other than that I haven't heard anything about PEDs.
Ok upon further research, this is what they are speculating, however they are saying that he administered a pill? Even if it's smelling salts, that should be enough for a reversal, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 11:51 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,522,015 times
from wiki:

Smelling salts are often used on athletes (such as boxers) when they are knocked unconscious or semi-conscious to arouse consciousness and restore mental alertness.[1]

They are also used in competitions (such as powerlifting, strong man and Ice hockey) to "wake up" competitors to perform better.[1][6] Famous athletes such as Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Carlos Boozer, and Tom Brady have been seen using smelling salts on the sidelines.[7][8][9][10]

Smelling salts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-17-2013, 04:53 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,010,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Ok upon further research, this is what they are speculating, however they are saying that he administered a pill? Even if it's smelling salts, that should be enough for a reversal, no?
To my knowledge smelling salts are a banned substance. Not sure if they will overturn decision based on that but now e question of this mysterious pill has come to the surface. This can very well be enough to make this bout a no decision and strip Maidana of the title.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:46 PM

326 posts, read 457,324 times
I'm positive Ariza did not give Maidana anything.

Watch this video:

ALEX ARIZA DIDN'T GIVE MAIDANA ANYTHING - VIDEO PROOF - YouTube

There's a close up on Ariza's hands and the napkin he used and I am absolutely positive there was no pills or smelling salts.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:58 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,915,594 times
This event occurred after a late punch. It does not make it right, but it simply points the finger at Cole again. Also, Cole warned Broner 4x for elbows. i firmly believe he should be reprimanded or fired.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:52 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,010,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
This event occurred after a late punch. It does not make it right, but it simply points the finger at Cole again. Also, Cole warned Broner 4x for elbows. i firmly believe he should be reprimanded or fired.
This is what concerns me. Maidana was hit after the bell and was clearly hurt. Cole should have offered him more time to recover and taken a point from Broner. Add Cole to an ever expanding list of incompetent refs along with Joe Cortez, Stever Smoger, and several others in recent fights. Hopefully Maidana comes out clean.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:36 PM

2,003 posts, read 4,394,385 times
Default Nice to have dick in the right places

The Ref's dad Dickie Cole is the commissioner of the Texas boxing authority. He is not getting fined in Texas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post

Old 12-19-2013, 09:54 PM

2,736 posts, read 3,268,188 times
My oh my! Just watched the broner/Maidana clash. Had not known the results until today. How nice to see the pre-eminent "Mayweather Wannabe" get knocked down, tossed around, and dry-humped in response to his very own crassness. AB no longer stands for "about billions." It stands for "AVERAGE BOXER."

That aside, it surprised me to see broner resort to soccer-like theatrics when he was illegally grazed on the chin. And finally, how classless of him to jettison himself from the ring after the unanimous decision was declared.

Broner, you've got some maturing to do. Glad to see a brash boxer like him get humiliated someone he considered inferior.

Way to go Maidana! Your stock just went wayyyy up!

: )

Old 12-19-2013, 10:32 PM

326 posts, read 457,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
That aside, it surprised me to see broner resort to soccer-like theatrics when he was illegally grazed on the chin. And finally, how classless of him to jettison himself from the ring after the unanimous decision was declared.
I know, Broner's theatrics were way over the top. Besides dropping to the ground a good 1-2 secs later, the whole rolling around thing was just embarrassing. I think he was looking for a DQ on Maindana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or