Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:53 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,287 times

Advertisements

He really needs to fight and beat the young 147 pound fighters before retiring, especially if he wants to be considered the best at 147. Cotto should be next, yes Shane Mosley, Kermit Cintron and Antonio Margirito. The problem is out of all those names Shane mosley is about the only one who the public heard of. But in my opinion Cotto will give him fits, yet Floyd could pull that win out.

Hatton belongs at 140 lbs for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
i would love to see a Mayweather vs. Cotto fight. I hope they make it happen. I would also like to see Mayweather vs. Mosely but I doubt Mayweather would want to fight another aging ex champ who would give him fits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 10:29 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
I agree. If he fights and beats Cotto and Margarito he could be mentioned as one of the all time best. Margarito is the guy that everyone has been avoiding for the past few years. I doubt Floyd would stepin the ring with him.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:02 AM

Default Cotto vs Floyd

Cotto will give Floyd a very good fight. I hope that fight happens soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I agree. If he fights and beats Cotto and Margarito he could be mentioned as one of the all time best. Margarito is the guy that everyone has been avoiding for the past few years. I doubt Floyd would stepin the ring with him.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:34 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
I honestly do not think Cotto is ready. Maybe Margarito or Paul Williams.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:44 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,366 times
Default re: Floyd Mayweather and MMA!?!

ESPN - Mayweather mulling move to MMA in deal with Cuban
MMA Weekly (http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5333&zoneid=13 - broken link)
Sherdog - Mayweather Considering Move to MMA

I personally think it's just a publicity stunt, but Mayweather and Mark Cuban (of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks) have been in talks about Floyd Mayweather Jr. making a transition into mixed martial arts (MMA).

I'm not sure how many people follow MMA here, so I'll try to sum up the story as brief as possible.

Mark Cuban became involved with promoting MMA fights via his arena and his HDNet television station a few months ago. He's been a fan for a while and wanted to become involved with the sport, and according to most, has done quite well so far, despite limited exposure.

He and Floyd met on "Dancing with the Stars" and I guess talks turned to MMA. Floyd now says he has a serious interest in it.

I think it would be great to see him, or any other great boxer make a transition into MMA, but I don't see it happening for a number of reasons:

1. money - Floyd would never make the money in MMA that he does in boxing. Despite it's recent popularity, even the top mixed martial artists salaries are a fraction of the top boxers.

2. the ground game - It's just a completely different sport when you have to worry about takedowns and submissions. It takes a lot longer than a few months to learn how to grapple and wrestle.

3. kickboxing/Muay Thai - Most people think that the striking involved in MMA is poor, especially compared to boxing. I wouldn't say I agree with this, but I see where these thoughts are coming from. The striking is different when you have to wary of takedowns. Stances and posturs are changed, and bobbing and weaving will get you a nice kick or knee to the face. About 5 kicks to the sciatic nerve can also end your night.

Regardless, if it was a slow transition, I'd like to see it, but I don't see it happening.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:15 AM

Default Floyd will never do mma

I really cant see why he will do any MMA at all, maybe train for fun, but compete nah. He should stick to what he does best, thats boxing! Why risk getting hurt in an MMA low paying fight and ruining his boxing career that pays millions? He wouldnt do well in the UFC and if a UFC fighter entered the boxing ring it would be vice versa, the boxer would dominate the MMA guy in the boxing ring anyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
ESPN - Mayweather mulling move to MMA in deal with Cuban
MMA Weekly (http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5333&zoneid=13 - broken link)
Sherdog - Mayweather Considering Move to MMA

I personally think it's just a publicity stunt, but Mayweather and Mark Cuban (of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks) have been in talks about Floyd Mayweather Jr. making a transition into mixed martial arts (MMA).

I'm not sure how many people follow MMA here, so I'll try to sum up the story as brief as possible.

Mark Cuban became involved with promoting MMA fights via his arena and his HDNet television station a few months ago. He's been a fan for a while and wanted to become involved with the sport, and according to most, has done quite well so far, despite limited exposure.

He and Floyd met on "Dancing with the Stars" and I guess talks turned to MMA. Floyd now says he has a serious interest in it.

I think it would be great to see him, or any other great boxer make a transition into MMA, but I don't see it happening for a number of reasons:

1. money - Floyd would never make the money in MMA that he does in boxing. Despite it's recent popularity, even the top mixed martial artists salaries are a fraction of the top boxers.

2. the ground game - It's just a completely different sport when you have to worry about takedowns and submissions. It takes a lot longer than a few months to learn how to grapple and wrestle.

3. kickboxing/Muay Thai - Most people think that the striking involved in MMA is poor, especially compared to boxing. I wouldn't say I agree with this, but I see where these thoughts are coming from. The striking is different when you have to wary of takedowns. Stances and posturs are changed, and bobbing and weaving will get you a nice kick or knee to the face. About 5 kicks to the sciatic nerve can also end your night.

Regardless, if it was a slow transition, I'd like to see it, but I don't see it happening.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:40 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
I really cant see why he will do any MMA at all, maybe train for fun, but compete nah. He should stick to what he does best, thats boxing! Why risk getting hurt in an MMA low paying fight and ruining his boxing career that pays millions? He wouldnt do well in the UFC and if a UFC fighter entered the boxing ring it would be vice versa, the boxer would dominate the MMA guy in the boxing ring anyday.
I agree on all accounts.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Floyd vs Joe Stevenson

Floyd Mayweather JR was just recently challenged to a UFC fight by the MMA fighter Joe Stevenson. Floyd would be submitted fast in that fight , its not like Floyd has any ground skills. But i wouldnt mind seeing a big name boxer someday enter the UFC. Tyson was asked but passed on offers. Tyson though is a UFC fan and knows theres more to the UFC then punching.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:46 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Floyd Mayweather JR was just recently challenged to a UFC fight by the MMA fighter Joe Stevenson. Floyd would be submitted fast in that fight , its not like Floyd has any ground skills. But i wouldnt mind seeing a big name boxer someday enter the UFC. Tyson was asked but passed on offers. Tyson though is a UFC fan and knows theres more to the UFC then punching.
Floyd Mayweather has no more business in the UFC than he does in the NHL. He may be able to fight, but if he can't skate or play hockey, what's the point of speculating? In UFC, he must essentially know how to do ground-fighting and wrestling. This is not his sport and I don't even take seriously discussions that entertain the notion that a Boxer can excel in the UFC or that a UFC fighter can do well in the Boxing ring.

Obviously, the only reason that Floyd is being considered is because of MONEY. If there is fan interest in seeing this, and people are willing to pay Floyd $50-$100M, why not consider it? That's a lot of money to pass up and Floyd's name certainly generates such opportunities. To me it says nothing about how the two sports compare to each other or about Floyd's greatness as a Boxer.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Floyd

The thing is that Floyd will never make in an MMA fight anywhere near the millions he's making in boxing. So i say whats the point? In an MMA fight he might beat some nobody but who cares. Unless he just wants to test himself , who knows?

But i agree you really cant compare the two sports, for real life street situations MMA wins for sure. For Sport -- Boxing.

No MMA fighter has a chance against Floyd in Boxing as Floyd wouldnt be able to do much in an MMA fight.

Floyd vs Cotto is what i want to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanInSF View Post
Floyd Mayweather has no more business in the UFC than he does in the NHL. He may be able to fight, but if he can't skate or play hockey, what's the point of speculating? In UFC, he must essentially know how to do ground-fighting and wrestling. This is not his sport and I don't even take seriously discussions that entertain the notion that a Boxer can excel in the UFC or that a UFC fighter can do well in the Boxing ring.

Obviously, the only reason that Floyd is being considered is because of MONEY. If there is fan interest in seeing this, and people are willing to pay Floyd $50-$100M, why not consider it? That's a lot of money to pass up and Floyd's name certainly generates such opportunities. To me it says nothing about how the two sports compare to each other or about Floyd's greatness as a Boxer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing