U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 02:47 PM

10,614 posts, read 13,162,890 times

Advertisements

Rousey would win at her sport and Floyd at his. It's experience. Rhonda is a good fighter but has a huge ego now and seems to be calling everyone out from Gina Carano to Chris Santos. Underestimating your opponents is not a great idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 06:12 PM

278 posts, read 224,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by del ragazzo View Post
LOL at Floyd not knocking her out within the first round.

Floyd wouldn't even have to worry about defense.

He could just let his hands go. It wouldn't last more than 15 seconds.

Floyd is used to getting hit by grown men. Rhonda doesn't have boxing skill necessary to hang with amateurs.

She would get knocked out in any amateur boxing gym worth it's salt in the first round, if they let the guy go all out.

The punching power of a man compared to a female is not even comparable.

(With the exception of Anne Wolfe)

Chances are, Rhonda would get KOed by Cyborg in the first round. She better worry about Cyborg instead of Floyd.
Floyd knocking someone out. How many times has that happened?

Ronda would choke him out within 2 minutes

Old 03-17-2014, 06:22 PM

1,198 posts, read 962,904 times
In a boxing match floyd puts her down with a few combinations, but I don't know about an mma fight. I think it really depends on how much time he had to prepare for her. If they fought today, I think Ronda breaks his Arm in under a minute, but if he had a few months to prepare, I think he stuffs her take downs and knocks her cold. The guy is a world class athlete and he's not stupid, so I think he learns enough to use his huge strength advantage.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,611,713 times
The issue isn't how Ronda would do in a boxing match - that's never been the subject of speculation. What people want to know is how Floyd Mayweather's boxing skills would stand up to someone who's about of equal size and has a different set of fighting skills.

I think this is one of those situations where one fight might not tell the story. If I were a betting man, I'd probably give Mayweather the proverbial puncher's chance to stun Rousey early, and if that happens, then I don't think Rousey could recover. Mayweather's not powerful relative to other boxers, but he's damn fast, and he's got incredible accuracy. It's not like he'd take the fight with only two weeks notice, so I'm guessing he'd at least have some take-down defense training. If he could just show some ability to defend against a takedown or a leg sweep then Rousey would be in the last place she'd ever want to be: within striking distance of a world class male striker.

On the other hand, I'd also give Rousey a fighting chance as well. If she does close the gap and if she successfully takes him down, then it's an entirely different outcome. The ground is a completely different world for Mayweather. Rousey's not just someone who picked up MMA as a fitness hobby; she's got a lifetime of judo training, and Mayweather couldn't learn enough in a year of training to save himself against someone with Rousey's capabilities.

I think it's whoever establishes their game first. If Mayweather had a fair amount of time to practice against take-downs, I'd probably take Money. But there's definitely a scenario in which Rousey could take him down and control the fight. The only question at that point would be if Floyd would tap or would he insist that she snap his arm?

Old 03-19-2014, 10:54 AM

26 posts, read 35,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
Floyd knocking someone out. How many times has that happened?

Ronda would choke him out within 2 minutes
You do realize this is a boxing forum, don't you?

Can you imagine Ronda in a boxing match with Canelo?

Floyd doesn't train grappling, so choking is irrelevant, and it's not allowed in a boxing match.

I imagine Floyd makes too much money to pay other men to wrap their legs around him and hump him. Maybe that's something you like to do, but this is boxing.

They are two different sports.

Go to the MMA forum if you want to discuss Floyd in an MMA fight.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:05 PM

278 posts, read 224,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by del ragazzo View Post
You do realize this is a boxing forum, don't you?

Can you imagine Ronda in a boxing match with Canelo?

Floyd doesn't train grappling, so choking is irrelevant, and it's not allowed in a boxing match.

I imagine Floyd makes too much money to pay other men to wrap their legs around him and hump him. Maybe that's something you like to do, but this is boxing.

They are two different sports.

Go to the MMA forum if you want to discuss Floyd in an MMA fight.
More manly than dancing around slapping each other over a belt & purse.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:55 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,203,780 times
this is silly. ronda fights at 135 lbs, floyd at 150. he would beat her both times on the simple fact that he would be 30 lbs heavier than her easily fight day.

now speculate on floyd vs cris cyborg and thats a different story. cyborg cuts significantly to 145 lbs, so fight day they would be MUCH closer in weight. in a boxing ring he (floyd) wins a decision, in the cage he (cyborg) wins by submission, leg kicks being the death of floyds boxing and smooth sailing from that point on.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:13 PM

2,536 posts, read 2,030,915 times
Floyd beats her in 1 to 2 rounds in a boxing ring, and likely the same in the octagon.

Everyone talks about her lifetime of training as a grappler, but boxers often start much earlier than grapplers. Their skills are so refined that she would have absolutely no defense for his standup.

Her ground game is obviously far superior to his. The difference is that great grapplers are typically great technicians regardless of athletic ability. Fast, defensive boxers like Floyd have great skill and athletic ability...it's a necessity if you aren't an especially hard puncher.

Floyd would lag behind on the ground, but he has a much better chance of closing that gap (slightly) than she has of closing the stand up gap. She'd have to get relatively close for a takedown and in the process would likely get hit harder than she ever has in her life. Boxers hit hard with the plushy 8 oz gloves. Imagine his punches with the tiny MMA gloves. He may not hit hard for an elite pro boxer, but compared to anyone but the elite in boxing, a Floyd punch would feel like a sack of bricks.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:23 AM

864 posts, read 649,758 times
In a real fight, Ronda crushes Floyd in seconds. Hip toss, arm bar, and Floyd would be begging to be out.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:19 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,397,409 times
If Floyd stands even the slightest chance of losing the fight wouldnt happen. Did I say that out loud ? =)

All joking aside I think he would win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing