U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:54 PM

519 posts, read 503,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Too bad you use Floyd as your source. It was Mosley who initially tried to make the fight at lightweight. There was also Freitas, Casamayor, and Tszyu.
What's your source?

A different take on how things went down: What People Forget About Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Quote:
When people talk about his fights or accomplishments, they most often reflect to his career post 2007. As if it started there. As if he was always the biggest draw in boxing. That couldn’t be further from the truth. There was a time where the man known as “Pretty Boy Floyd” couldn’t sell out an arena in his hometown of Grand Rapids, Michigan. There was a time where he was the most ducked fighter in all of boxing. Simply because he wasn’t a big draw, and offered small reward with high risk.

People forget that he had been calling out Shane Mosley, Cory Spinks, Oscar De La Hoya, Kosta Tszyu and other fighters for years. He was desperate to get these fights. The reality was that he wasn’t a money maker, he wasn’t a cash cow and he wasn’t a big draw. He brought nothing to the table other than a tough fight, and a difficult style. He was undefeated but unattractive to other fighters. He had beaten plenty of marquee level fighters, including Corrales, N’dou, Manfreddy, Judah, Baldomir, Corley, Gatti, and Hernandez among the names. Yet, no one wanted to pay big money to see him fight. Oh how that changed in 2007.

Both before his fight with Gatti (2005) and after his fight with Baldomir (2006), Floyd Mayweather called out Shane Mosley, Oscar De La Hoya, and Kosta Tszyu. His contemporaries made no push to get the fights signed. Mosley made an excuse about his tooth, Oscar simply showed no interest, and Kosta Tszyu saw no money. Here he was being ducked by the men who were bigger draws then him. That all changed in 2007, the #1 P4P, and probably #500 fan favorite Floyd Mayweather had bought out of his Top Rank contract, and scheduled a fight with the then cash cow of boxing Oscar “The Golden Boy” De La Hoya. Ironically enough, Oscar wanted Floyd’s status of best boxer on the planet, and Floyd wanted Oscar’s status of the biggest draw in boxing. Sometime later, they would meet up in the highest grossing fight ever, and Floyd would emerge victorious, and become the new face of boxing. After years of being avoided, after years of being ducked the “Pretty Boy” was finally the guy. Both financially, and the best among his contemporaries. The same men who avoided him for so long now wanted shots, they all wanted a piece of the pie.
Quote:
Back when Margarito wanted him Floyd turned down $8m to fight him, which would have been his biggest pay day of his career up to that point.
Mayweather turns down $8 million to fight Margarito - boxing - ESPN

Quote:
Many in the sport believe a De La Hoya-Mayweather fight is the biggest fight on the horizon and the only one capable of generating 1 million-plus buys on pay-per-view.

The reason Mayweather opted for the buyout rather than waiting for the May 6 result was because the contract had a limited window for the buyout, one that expired before the De La Hoya fight. However, Arum said he would have extended the window if Mayweather had asked. What Arum wouldn't do, he said, was raise the guarantees for other fights outlined in the contract.

Arum said while Mayweather would have taken the $8 million to fight Margarito, he asked for a $10 million guarantee to fight opponents such as Miguel Cotto and Ricky Hatton, when Arum was only willing to guarantee $7 million.

Arum said Mayweather also asked for $20 million to fight De La Hoya, a fight Arum said he wasn't interested in participating in.

"That's not in the cards," Arum said. "He wants $20 million for the De La Hoya fight? It's not there. Sometimes, my man, you gotta know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. We'll talk about things down the road."
Uncle Bob strikes again...

Quote:
He ducked Winky Wright after calling him out and Wright called his bluff.
Sports: Wright-Mayweather bout is off as talks break down

Quote:
While Shaw said he agreed with just about all of the demands from the Mayweather team, principally regarding weight, he doesn't think the Detroit fighter, a former Olympian, was behind the breakdown.

"I think it's Arum," Shaw said. "When Floyd normally calls someone out, he's serious about fighting them."
And again. Regardless, it would've been a ridiculous proposition. Floyd hadn't even fought at 147 yet and despite agreeing to 154, Winky was fighting at 160.

Quote:
Real fans know what Floyd is and he is once again being faced with a talent rich division with nowhere to run.
Real fans know how to see through your nonstop hypocritical BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 03:45 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,010,899 times
Yawn, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Keep playing that same old song Evan. At least until the new Justin Beiber album hits the streets.

You can cherry pick all the pro-Mayweather articles you like, same way he cherry picks his opponents.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:25 PM

Dan Rafael writes pro-Mayweather articles? Who knew?! Funny though how that 'same old song' keeps making you look silly.

Anyway, good job on not having any semblance of a relevant or logical rebuttal...as usual.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
Dan Rafael writes pro-Mayweather articles? Who knew?! Funny though how that 'same old song' keeps making you look silly.

Anyway, good job on not having any semblance of a relevant or logical rebuttal...as usual.
Writers aren't immune to biases. Especially those working behind the scenes at networks. Dan Raphael wasn't very kind to Mayweather in a recent interview but Im sure you. Would find a way to dismiss that.

Keep going with the passive-aggressive attacks on me in all of your posts and I will give your posts the attention they deserve.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Writers aren't immune to biases. Especially those working behind the scenes at networks. Dan Raphael wasn't very kind to Mayweather in a recent interview but Im sure you. Would find a way to dismiss that.
Indeed, Dan Rafael often isn't overly kind to Floyd which only makes your pro-Mayeather spin claim make even less sense. Regardless, I may disagree with someone, but seldom do I simply dismiss especially if someone has a well reasoned argument. That's not really my style. On the other hand, the only one that I see "dismissing" things is you. I present viewpoints that support my position and because you apparently don't have any valid retort all you do is "dismiss" them as being 'pro-Mayweather'. That's such a weak cop-out, but I guess that's to be expected. You try to disparage what Time2Improve uses as source material, but you never put forth any sources behind your gibberish. Just constantly rant, rant rant.

For your viewing pleasure and in keeping with the original theme of the thread, here's an article from another Sugar in regards to Mayweather:

Exclusive: Sugar Ray Leonard talks welterweight division, RING Top 10 - Ring TV

When asked about the best welterweights of all time here's what SRL had to say:

Quote:
“Sugar Ray Robinson, myself and then Mayweather,” said Leonard, in earnest. “Ask me 1000 times if I could have beaten Floyd Mayweather and I’ll tell you 1000 times that I could, and Mayweather will tell you 999.99 times that he can beat me.”
Quote:
The thing that really impressed me about Floyd was when Sugar Shane Mosley hurt him badly. He recovered so well, and dominated Shane for the rest of that fight. I know what to look for in fighters and champions and that one moment was very important. Mayweather could have competed in any era and that is a fact.”
Hopefully the author didn't falsify SRL's quote in order to make it a pro-Mayweather article...

Quote:
Keep going with the passive-aggressive attacks on me in all of your posts and I will give your posts the attention they deserve.
Ok, you do that...while you're at it try stumbling upon a cogent take or two.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Indeed, Dan Rafael often isn't overly kind to Floyd which only makes your pro-Mayeather spin claim make even less sense. Regardless, I may disagree with someone, but seldom do I simply dismiss especially if someone has a well reasoned argument. That's not really my style. On the other hand, the only one that I see "dismissing" things is you. I present viewpoints that support my position and because you apparently don't have any valid retort all you do is "dismiss" them as being 'pro-Mayweather'. That's such a weak cop-out, but I guess that's to be expected. You try to disparage what Time2Improve uses as source material, but you never put forth any sources behind your gibberish. Just constantly rant, rant rant.

For your viewing pleasure and in keeping with the original theme of the thread, here's an article from another Sugar in regards to Mayweather:

Exclusive: Sugar Ray Leonard talks welterweight division, RING Top 10 - Ring TV

When asked about the best welterweights of all time here's what SRL had to say:

Hopefully the author didn't falsify SRL's quote in order to make it a pro-Mayweather article...

Ok, you do that...while you're at it try stumbling upon a cogent take or two.
Anytime I paint you into a corner with valid points or evidence you either ignore it, glaze right past it to counter with something biased or cherry pick what you think is a flaw in my argument. You are the one with the weak cop-outs and endless alibis for Floyd.

Your sole purpose here at CD is to shamelessly admire Floyd. Every so often you attempt to contribute to a thread on anger boxer, even creating a couple to make it seem as though you care about boxing or any other fighter besides Floyd. But the truth is you are a Floyd fanboy and NOT a fan of boxing. You and your alter ego time2improve aren't fooling anyone. Keep flying your Mayweather banner and seeking out opportunities to criticize Pacquiao and Arum while dismissing Floyd's endless excuses and Al Haymon's control over Floyd and his own stable of fitters who cannot fit outside of his control.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Anytime I paint you into a corner with valid points or evidence you either ignore it, glaze right past it to counter with something biased or cherry pick what you think is a flaw in my argument. You are the one with the weak cop-outs and endless alibis for Floyd.
Oh, the 'I know you are, but what am I' comeback. Clever...well for you at least. Paint me into a corner? Yeah, that happened at a quarter past never. Quite frankly, you DKSAB and it shows quite with your generally flawed rantings.

Quote:
Your sole purpose here at CD is to shamelessly admire Floyd. Every so often you attempt to contribute to a thread on anger boxer, even creating a couple to make it seem as though you care about boxing or any other fighter besides Floyd. But the truth is you are a Floyd fanboy and NOT a fan of boxing. You and your alter ego time2improve aren't fooling anyone. Keep flying your Mayweather banner and seeking out opportunities to criticize Pacquiao and Arum while dismissing Floyd's endless excuses and Al Haymon's control over Floyd and his own stable of fitters who cannot fit outside of his control.
Wow, so now you're psychic.

Let's examine this though...Baseless accusations, paranoia and delusions. Brilliant! Everyone's out to get you, right? It's easy enough to make you look foolish, no alter egos needed. Bottom line is this: You can call me a fanboy while you're kneeling at the alter of Manny, you can claim that I'm not a fan of boxing even though I know more about the sport (and probably several other sports) than you, but what you obviously CAN'T do is cobble together a meaningful response to the points that I raise. All you can do is pout and throw your little tantrums. Just quit while you're behind, kid.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:22 AM

832 posts, read 957,362 times
Quote:
Keep shining Mayweathers legacy with your blind allegiance. Quote Ariza all you like since he was there. I suppose his testimony is just as credible as 50-cent who also claims that Floyd is afraid to lose to Manny, after all, he was there.

There you go spouting PPV numbers as proof of greatness. Floyd's undercards give his numbers a healthy boost and he is still not nearly as exciting to watch as Manny. Keep using money to measure greatness, because you certainly can't use his opposition or heart.

For those that think Manny is ducking or not in his league...it's not Manny with at least half dozen excuses not to fight. Floyd could make more money from this fight than any other, and if Manny was so easy to beat he have done it already. Good to see mediocrity rewarded with one dimensional fair-weather fans who will have no one to root for once their cowardly messiah retires.
A bitter 50 cent who got into a fight with his former best friend said "He was avoiding Manny but would beat him" Don't take his word for it as it was a bitter breakup.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:15 PM

162 posts, read 151,853 times
Quote:
Oh, the 'I know you are, but what am I' comeback. Clever...well for you at least. Paint me into a corner? Yeah, that happened at a quarter past never. Quite frankly, you DKSAB and it shows quite with your generally flawed rantings.

Wow, so now you're psychic.

Let's examine this though...Baseless accusations, paranoia and delusions. Brilliant! Everyone's out to get you, right? It's easy enough to make you look foolish, no alter egos needed. Bottom line is this: You can call me a fanboy while you're kneeling at the alter of Manny, you can claim that I'm not a fan of boxing even though I know more about the sport (and probably several other sports) than you, but what you obviously CAN'T do is cobble together a meaningful response to the points that I raise. All you can do is pout and throw your little tantrums. Just quit while you're behind, kid.
Mwahahahaha! This clown uses a photo from a fixed fight to put the exclamation point on his sorry post. Classic!

Old 07-19-2014, 04:07 PM

Oh look, the village idiot has been granted internet privileges again. How apropos that this halfwit names himself after a lobotomized character. I suppose that explains his consistently mindless posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or