U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:11 PM

592 posts, read 667,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
Yep, here we go again. So if Manny were fighting Maidana then Maidana would be "more competitive" and Coolhand would be trying to build him up like he ATTEMPTED to do with Brandon Rios. Since Floyd is fighting Maidana he suddenly becomes "an overrated slugger who can't box." So much transparent BS.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/29958750-post15.html

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 12:47 AM

11,679 posts, read 7,054,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Improve View Post
Close to 35? More like close to 40. I think Bob Arum is the biggest obstacle to the fight happening. Bob Arum only allows his fighters to fight other Top Rank stablemates, so that he gets all the money. You won't see a Top Rank star vs a Golden Boy fighter or a Mayweather fighter. I think Bob Arum is terrible for boxing fans.
What exactly stops Manny from telling Bob to take a hike? Is this guy like the manager in Rocky 5?

Old 04-15-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
What exactly stops Manny from telling Bob to take a hike? Is this guy like the manager in Rocky 5?
Bob Arum, owner of Top Rank Promotions is a former lawyer who has been in the promotion game for almost 40 years. I read that he has promoted fights with Don King dating back to the 70s. I'm sure he has some serious stipulations if Manny tells him to take a hike. Floyd Mayweather had to buy himself out of contract with Bob Arum after he did not receive his full purse from the Zab Judah fight. The reported amount I saw was $600,000. Mind you this was a time before Mayweather was a huge draw pulling in huge numbers. Back to Pacman: he was on the verge of fulfilling his contract, pending he won the last fight. The last fight of that contract was the first fight against Tim Bradley. That robbery makes more sense now don't it?

Fighters have to leave Top Rank in order to fight any Goldenboy fighter or Mayweather. Bob forces his fighters to fight each other, so that he can keep all the money on both sides. That's why as soon as Cotto left Top Rank, he got the fight with Floyd- a fight in which he got his biggest payday and was able to fight at his chosen weight.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:10 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,022,288 times
Quote:
Bob Arum, owner of Top Rank Promotions is a former lawyer who has been in the promotion game for almost 40 years. I read that he has promoted fights with Don King dating back to the 70s. I'm sure he has some serious stipulations if Manny tells him to take a hike. Floyd Mayweather had to buy himself out of contract with Bob Arum after he did not receive his full purse from the Zab Judah fight. The reported amount I saw was $600,000. Mind you this was a time before Mayweather was a huge draw pulling in huge numbers. Back to Pacman: he was on the verge of fulfilling his contract, pending he won the last fight. The last fight of that contract was the first fight against Tim Bradley. That robbery makes more sense now don't it?

Fighters have to leave Top Rank in order to fight any Goldenboy fighter or Mayweather. Bob forces his fighters to fight each other, so that he can keep all the money on both sides. That's why as soon as Cotto left Top Rank, he got the fight with Floyd- a fight in which he got his biggest payday and was able to fight at his chosen weight.
Khan left Arum and he still couldn't get a fight with Mayweather. It has less to do with Arum since Floyd is his own boss and decides who he wants to fight. Sanctioning bodies are a joke. If Floyd really wanted to fight Manny he would have. Manny accepted a 60/40 deal and random blood testing and Floyd crawled into a hole. Floyd wants everyone else to fight the best so be doesn't have to fight them.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:03 PM

519 posts, read 504,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Khan left Arum and he still couldn't get a fight with Mayweather. It has less to do with Arum since Floyd is his own boss and decides who he wants to fight.
And when exactly was Khan with Arum and Top Rank?

Old 04-16-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Khan left Arum and he still couldn't get a fight with Mayweather. It has less to do with Arum since Floyd is his own boss and decides who he wants to fight. Sanctioning bodies are a joke. If Floyd really wanted to fight Manny he would have. Manny accepted a 60/40 deal and random blood testing and Floyd crawled into a hole. Floyd wants everyone else to fight the best so be doesn't have to fight them.
Khan is a Goldenboy fighter. He was never a Top Rank fighter... The fact that you even bring up Khan says a lot.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
And when exactly was Khan with Arum and Top Rank?
Quote:
Khan is a Goldenboy fighter. He was never a Top Rank fighter... The fact that you even bring up Khan says a lot.
Regardless, Khan defeated Maidana, yet Maidana gets the fight. Floyd promised his fans he would let them choose his next opponent (so long as it wasn't Manny) and when they voted Khan he still chose Maidana. More smoke and mirrors by Floyd. Meanwhile his fans will eat every schit sandwich he feeds them and they will not only lick their fingers clean but ask for seconds.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:55 PM

So for those keeping score at home, Khan was never with Arum and Coolhand was caught talking out of his posterior…yet again.

But of course he'll never man up and admit that, so instead we get this poor attempt at spin.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
So for those keeping score at home, Khan was never with Arum and Coolhand was caught talking out of his posterior…yet again.

But of course he'll never man up and admit that, so instead we get this poor attempt at spin.
You're the only one keeping score Evan. You came onto a thread about where to watch the fight and still found a way to bash Manny. If I incorrectly associated Khan with Top Rank so be it. I'm not perfect and I'm not a self-proclaimed know-it-all. What I do know is that both Floyd and Khan are dangling by the puppet strings of Al Haymon. Blame Arum all you want, but Haymon is every bit as responsible for the fight not happening also with Floyd's endless excuses. Which goes to my earlier points that most promoters and managers are looking out for their own best interests. Having too many sanctioning bodies and no more mandatory challengers is what is hurting boxing.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
You're the only one keeping score Evan. You came onto a thread about where to watch the fight and still found a way to bash Manny.
You're still out of touch with reality. It was you who came into a thread about where to watch the Pacquaio-Bradley fight and still found a way to bash Mayweather.

Quote:
If I incorrectly associated Khan with Top Rank so be it.
No ifs about it…

Quote:
I'm not perfect and I'm not a self-proclaimed know-it-all.
Since when?

Quote:
What I do know is that both Floyd and Khan are dangling by the puppet strings of Al Haymon. Blame Arum all you want, but Haymon is every bit as responsible for the fight not happening also with Floyd's endless excuses.
I can't really say much about Al Haymon since he wisely doesn't speak to the media and stays out of the spotlight except when his fighters thank him in the post-fight interview. Arum, on the other hand, is an old-school crook and pretty much everyone who isn't in denial will acknowledge that. He goes on this rant a few months ago about Khan & Floyd, last week rants about Maidana & Floyd. Who spends all that time talking about their competition? An old man that knows that he has a weak roster which potentially could be getting weaker:

Miguel Angel Garcia files suit against Top Rank - ESPN

Mikey has wised up, Manny would be smart to do the same…

As for excuses, it's interesting that Freddie Roach has recently come right out and stated that it was Team Pacquiao's fault why the fight didn't initially get made. He also said that he didn't feel that Mayweather was afraid of the fight despite your many allegations to the contrary.

Quote:
Which goes to my earlier points that most promoters and managers are looking out for their own best interests. Having too many sanctioning bodies and no more mandatory challengers is what is hurting boxing.
First agreeable thing you've said in ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or