U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 01:26 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,998,311 times

Advertisements

I thought Floyd narrowly won, 116-112 tops. Much better fight than last time.

Floyd looks like he lost a little speed; if Maidana had been more accurate one of those overhands cold've rocked him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 01:37 PM

519 posts, read 504,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
That is what i am saying, since when is accuracy the main factor in winning fights?
Since when is missing a ton of punches the main factor in winning a fight?

Quote:
By the way why did they have the Mexican Anthem? If Maidana is from Argentina and Floyd from the U.S. Floyd has never had the Mexican Anthem be singed when he has fought other non-mexican heritage opponents. He was probably the one who wanted it since he has the most influence out of the two. He was also wearing Mexican colors in his trunk and gloves. Did he wanted Mexican support against an Argentine fighter or was he mocking Mexico again?
Cinco de Mayo weekend.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:50 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,481,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
Since when is missing a ton of punches the main factor in winning a fight?

It isnt. But when you push the fight, land the same number punches as your opponent, constantly back your opponent into the ropes and swarm him, and force the opponent to hug....all the time, all those factors combined make a good case for winning the fight.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:18 PM

519 posts, read 504,386 times
Sure, you can make a case. It was certainly a close fight. Though I thought Mayweather landed a lot more cleaner shots, I do feel that it was a bit closer than 117-111.

Last edited by Evan702; 05-04-2014 at 02:49 PM..

Old 05-05-2014, 08:23 AM

28,269 posts, read 26,269,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
Sure, you can make a case. It was certainly a close fight. Though I thought Mayweather landed a lot more cleaner shots, I do feel that it was a bit closer than 117-111.
Agreed. I thought Maidana put in more work, but it wasn't clean work. You don't win fights simply because you throw more punches than your opponent. Overall, I thought the fight was sloppy. I'm not sure why the commentators were billing it as "a great fight" (instant rematch?). I thought the Cotto fight was much more entertaining with higher quality boxing.

Close fight. Maidana had the upper hand in the early rounds. But from Round 6 to the end, it looked like business as usual from Mayweather. I would have scored it closer, but I still would have given it to Mayweather.

Not interested in seeing a rematch. I'd rather see FM move on to Amir Khan but that seems to be a ways off for now.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:41 AM

326 posts, read 457,777 times
I had it 115-113 for Mayweather.

The ST analysts had it at 115-114. Either way it was close.

I thought Maidana won the beginning rounds and rds 11 and 12. He lost the rounds in the middle of the fight when he decided to square up with Floyd in the middle of the ring and get pot-shotted.

I was absolutely disgusted with how Tonk Weeks officiated the fight. When Maidana had Floyd against the ropes and had an arm free, Weeks would would break them up and allow Floyd to escape. Not to mention the fact that Floyd bullied Maidana to fight with giant balloon gloves last minute.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post
I was absolutely disgusted with how Tonk Weeks officiated the fight. When Maidana had Floyd against the ropes and had an arm free, Weeks would would break them up and allow Floyd to escape. Not to mention the fact that Floyd bullied Maidana to fight with giant balloon gloves last minute.
I didn't feel that way about it. Maidana got some good body work in on the ropes, and when the pace of the fight got too slow, Weeks broke them up. I didn't see anything wrong with his officiating from that perspective.

Weeks should have deducted a point after three low blows and an attempted knee to the head. He also should have admonished FM for sticking his forearm into his opponent's throat (which he does often, but never pays a price for).

Old 05-05-2014, 09:02 AM

If a FM has any glaring weakness, it's that he's vulnerable to being outworked by his opponent. I think Maidana exposed that last night. FM is a counterpuncher who outclasses aggressive fighters with accurate punching and pristine footwork. But he doesn't have a lot of power, which is why Marcos just kept walking through his shots. FM's defensive mindedness can sometimes be a detriment to him.

Still a tough dude to beat though. We also saw that the other night.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:02 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,443,743 times
Honestly I saw the fight a draw. I can't believe Burt Clements had it 117-111. Pernick's 114-114 score was spot on. I could see either fighter winning 115-113, but anything more than that deviation is from a biased score card.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:24 PM

43 posts, read 45,431 times
Utmost respect for Maidana. I was expecting a fight like this. Floyd won but not 117-111, 116-112. It was closer than that.

I ADVISE FMJ NOT TO FIGHT MAIDANA AGAIN. TOO RISKY IF YOU WANNA RETIRE UNDEFEATED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing